Future floor polish

Dedalus5550

Sr Member
Okay, so I gotta be one of those guys. I saw these these threads and really didn't think about it because the stuff lasts the modeler so long--I think I've had three bottles in my life but it's always been by go-to stuff for gloss coats. Now I need another. Last I heard it was "Pledge with Future Shine" or something. Can't find any Pledge product now with the word "Future" on it. Google gets me mostly hits for older pages of the older stuff. And I tried searching this site and, well, lets just say that a sci-fi (mostly) forum regarding the word "future" is a lost cause. So what is it now?

Thanks,
Mike

Personally I bought my most recent bottle on Amazon. Open the bottle and it's that classic Future smell. I hunted for this stuff all over the greater Portland area and couldn't find a bottle anywhere. So Amazon to the rescue.

--Alex

You can also use Varathane clear coat water base available at home depot or any hardware stores they have high gloss and satin finish, goes threw airbrush without thinning more expensive than future floor polish but more durable .

GFollano

Thanks GF, might have to check out the satin version. I still have plenty of regular Future on hand.

I'm still not sure what that is for. If read about it so much over the years. Is it for a final gloss top coat?

So I would likely never need it for star wars stuff?

This link might help
http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

It has pics of all the various labels and brand names its been sold as over the years. All the same formula

It also has some amazing tips on working with Future. My favorite being this one Future and Simple Green combo to achieve an extermely high gloss look
Future is great for creating a good medium gloss finish and with repeat layers and light sanding at 800 grit between layers can generate a fairly high gloss but if you want something truly outstanding then you need some Simple Green. Simple Green is a household and industrial cleaner found throughout the United States. It can be purchased in concentrated form or premixed. Most grocery stores carry the pre-mixed variety. In a small cup mix three parts Future with one part pre-mix Simple Green. Apply to your model with an airbrush using 15 to 18 psi pressure and about four to six inches of distance. Apply an even slightly wet coat then immediately cover the model with a large bowl or clean box because this will be a major dust magnet. Allow to cure overnight. When you remove the cover your model may appear to be wet still but no, this is the finish that is achieved - a STILL WET LOOK

Below is what I got and it worked like a charm on the canopies I used it on

I got it in store at my local Walmart

4131215b-4175-4c48-923a-10f14e4fffaa_1.2ca295ea4f4c352ff50275f7a659230f.jpeg

You can also order on line
https://www.walmart.com/ip/15136693...75035&wl11=online&wl12=15136693&wl13=&veh=sem

4131215b-4175-4c48-923a-10f14e4fffaa_1.2ca295ea4f4c352ff50275f7a659230f.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks GF, might have to check out the satin version. I still have plenty of regular Future on hand.

Yes just tried it on a project, I wanted to protect the original satin paint finish without altering the shine, I tried Testors, Tamiya, Krylon, duplicolor all failed which were still too shiny, the Varathane was perfect, and best of all its self leveling no orange peel effect, you can apply with a roller and it will dry super smooth, its a milky white but dries crystal clear.

GFollano

Last edited:
I'm still not sure what that is for. If read about it so much over the years. Is it for a final gloss top coat?

So I would likely never need it for star wars stuff?

It can be used as a final gloss for model cars. It can be used as a base for decaling a space ship and then dull coating. It can be brushed on figure kits for the eyes and mouth to get a wet look. You can add food coloring to it for different body fluids in monster/sci-fi figure dioramas, etc.

I used it on almost all my Star Wars models. If you want a flat mix use 70% Future and 30% Tamiya X-21 Flat Base. Be very precise with the ratio but!...if not you end up with a Milky surface that will ruin your paint work, also apply it in thin layers and don't go crazy with it. If done right you will have the mattest of matt.

I use any color when painting, gloss, matt, oils and what have you, simply the best "Color" for the job, that means you end up with a sort a patchy shiny/matt paint job, to fix that and bind them all together I use the Future/X-21 mix and that simply flattens all the colors to the same level....and its really killer flat.

EDIT: Albertese spotted my mistake regarding the Mix Ratio...its of course 70% Future -30%Tamiya X-21 Flat Base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of uses; good durable acrylic clear finish (it is a floor "wax"!) The clear funiture finish materials as noted are an alternative, perhaps even more durable. Just experiment and see what works.

The clear coats help with decals, both as a substrate and an overcoat to help obscure the decal thickness. Also acts as a barrier coat for when doing heavy weathering and being glossy, helps washes flow better (if that is desired...) and protects the undercoats from interacting with weathering efforts.

I hadn't though of using it tinted for 'fluid' and 'wetting' effects, however.

Regards, Robert

I used it on almost all my Star Wars models. If you want a flat mix use 80% Future and 30% Tamiya X-21 Flat Base. Be very precise with the ratio ....

I want to try this, but I have a question. My math is a little rusty, but I'm not sure how 80%+30% works. Wouldn't that be 110%? This doesn't seem mathematically possible! I want to be precise!

--Alex

I'll be using this down the road to try and seal Alclad Chrome. I hear it's the best thing for it without taking away too much shine. I'll extensively test it though among other things.

Ben

Thanks for the help. I think I was looking for the right stuff, but haven't found it in any of my local grocery stores or Target so I felt I had to ask. I guess I'll check out amazon.

This is all great advice,
I bought a airbrush and compressor but I still haven't used it so I'll note these tips down somewhere :)

Thanks for the help. I think I was looking for the right stuff, but haven't found it in any of my local grocery stores or Target so I felt I had to ask. I guess I'll check out amazon.

Try CVS Pharmacy. I'm up in the Burbank area and that's the only place I was able to find it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back