The Star Wars (1955)

SteveStarkiller

Sr Member
It's fairly well known that George Lucas originally hoped to make a modern Flash Gordon, but not being able to attain the rights, created his own universe. We're all glad he did, but...

Imagine, if you will, a universe where Lucas got to do his remake, but it wasn't Flash Gordon, it was a once popular vintage serial, ripe for modernization, called "The Star Wars".

50s Falcon.png

50s Falcon2.png

I've got some 50s style interiors of the Falcon cooking too. And of course, this begs the question, what does a 50s X-wing look like? Y-Wing? TIE? Death Star?
Anyway, I'm really enjoying this little creative side project. I have vague fantasies about getting some costume designs going and bluescreening some folks into some kind of era trailer...

thoughts welcome!

Ha! A B-29 cockpit nose! Too funny... imagine what plastic kits were available then to be parts donors!

Regards, Robert

That was definitely the idea! Kitbashing wasn't a thing in the 50s, so far as I know, but it's gotta start somewhere, right?

(actually, who here knows when kitbashing really got started? 2001? earlier?)

Nice! Two suggestions: 1) replace the TFA radar dish with something round or oval. Perhaps something like the oval mesh dish from the movie Seaview. 2) Fins. Big, pointy, chrome suckas.

Looks great! I imagine there wouldn't be a lot of greebling. Maybe a few hefty pipes running here and there, but mostly pretty clean.

I can't wait to see where this goes!

--Alex

That was definitely the idea! Kitbashing wasn't a thing in the 50s, so far as I know, but it's gotta start somewhere, right?

(actually, who here knows when kitbashing really got started? 2001? earlier?)

"Kitbashing" like you're thinking of has been around pretty much as long as plastic kits have been with us. Bashing for non-conversion work is a newer thing, but still we're talking 70's or even earlier. Car modelers do it all the time of course... AMT's concept of 'custom parts' in their kits has been with us at least that long.

Anyway, I think you hit a good one; in fact, you gotta wonder if the MF cockpit wasn't inspired by the B-29 (look at the Linear MF, a long 'tube' just like a B-29...)

Cheers!
R/

Aaah, Steve. Just saw the change to your signature. That's tough buddy.

Double take on the renders, then saw the 55-gal drums. Ha! What a concept. Smooth floor, too. Before the paradigm of false floor service spaces...

R/ Robert

it wasn't a bad break up, amicable all around, but I had to do something to the signature, heh. Thanks!

but anyway, yeah I figured those plastic rain barrels in the ANH falcon interior wouldn't have been around in the 50s, but I had a hard time researching it. Seems like nobody gives two figs about the history of rain barrels... oh well.

all the sets of the Falcon interior have been on a 6' rostrum, to accommodate the ramp and access pits. But I figure for the hypothetical show, they'd do it right on the soundstage floor.

Ahh one of my favorite "themes" Retro Futurism. I think that is why I love the Fallout series so much. Plenty of retro futuristic blended with steam punk. You definitely need Fins...LOT's of fins. Plenty of chrome and bright colors as well. Can't wait to see how this turns out!!

0b7debaee57f6cbc1905fe083985fab4.jpg

2nd on the fins and overdone plumbing greeblies. Plus, lots of chrome grills - thinking 57 chevy styling with big bullet tail lights. And when they fly, they all need a candle flame and sparkler burning from the back. Love this! Keep sharing and have fun!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

so I'm thinking grills, I'm definitely lacking some of those. Fins are more a hold over from earlier era serials. 1950s The Star Wars is more similar to Forbidden Planet, a little bit of a newer kind of futuristic, for the era. so fins are out... but grills, yeah... gotta get some.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back