Fifth Element Police Blaster - Pics Fixed!

tmax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi guys,

Like many I'm a fan of the Fifth Element weapons. (Yes one day I will own a ZF-1!). I've wanted a Police Blaster for ages. Nearly bought a low numbered HCG one a couple years ago off eBay, but the exchange rate was a killer back then. Recently a 3D printed kit popped up on eBay for pretty cheap, so I grabbed 2 kits. One for me and one to sell here in NZ. I've never worked with a 3D printed kit, so looking forward to this.

After seeing this screen used blue version I've decided that's what I'm going for...

3Jvj625.jpg

ThIwlFp.jpg

VOaVpdK.jpg

Here's the kit I'm working with...

iMKWdsJ.jpg

PWvPI62.jpg

TDQb7Mp.jpg

Of course being hollow I'll be able to add some electronics which is cool, as I love props that light up and make some kind of noise when fired.

So while the editing of my feature film - BROKEN is keeping me busy during the day...

https://youtu.be/Yhke8cgrarU

...I'll chip away at this in my spare time. Let the fun begin!

Last edited:
Re: Fifth Element Police Blaster (WIP)

That's a nice looking kit. You should be able to make something very spot on!

Broken looks amazing, I am looking forward seeing this! Very reminiscent of Once Were Warriors, and I am sure will be critically acclaimed like that movie as well.
The Fifth Element gun is cool as well, where did you source the 3D printing? I am in Hamilton and still trying to find a good source here in the Tron.

Cheers

That's a nice looking kit. You should be able to make something very spot on!

Yeah it's not too bad. Not 100% accurate of course, but close enough for me. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broken looks amazing, I am looking forward seeing this! Very reminiscent of Once Were Warriors, and I am sure will be critically acclaimed like that movie as well.
The Fifth Element gun is cool as well, where did you source the 3D printing? I am in Hamilton and still trying to find a good source here in the Tron.

Cheers

Thanks. If BROKEN did half as well as Once Were Warriors I'd be a happy man! [emoji6] Will be interesting to see how well received it is here in NZ. Being a faith based film it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it does better in the US then here. NZ is so harsh on their own films. Especially ones that have "Hollywood" happy endings. The irony of course being that Kiwis themselves love Hollywood films with Hollywood endings. Go figure!

The 3D kit was off eBay, I didn't have it printed myself. Would be great to find someone in NZ who does it tho.

Last edited:

Don't even have to look. I know your going to do an excellent job with this...:thumbsup

Had this toy blaster kicking around for a while. Almost threw it out once, but then thought I might one day want to use the electronics out of it. That day has come...

MQl0ZxY.jpg

r0LVsM7.jpg

la6XPD3.jpg

Also pulled apart a cheap laser from an airsoft gun. Going to use it too...

tI7JfAV.jpg

BehRnPO.jpg

Last edited:

Laser test fitted...

I7mc3i3.jpg

PcyxVYI.jpg

5414BHT.jpg

Speaker will go here...

YKATWFj.jpg

zXKLDO9.jpg

QnvKmkf.jpg

Zpys4LE.jpg

fI10fOW.jpg

Last edited:

Cutting a hole here so I can add a fake led panel. I'll probably just use a clear piece of Perspex tinted red, with some kind of power-up read-out printed on it.

nY3bF7T.jpg

LHl0p14.jpg

I figured trying to make the existing trigger work was a bit beyond me...

XK20dpc.jpg

So settled for a cool red button. Very ZF-1 I thought...

MbmNTw3.jpg

Jmtroch.jpg

Ur1Wtjj.jpg

Made room for the wires...

f14KUYB.jpg

A red LED will go here...

HLSRIiI.jpg

QvyE0AH.jpg

And I wanted the turn dial to work...

cGHXNr6.jpg

xSjppVo.jpg

fAjcWyP.jpg

3lBHuTE.jpg

c5XT6ZO.jpg

Setting 1 will be off, 2 will light up the red LED and the fake panel, 3 will fire up the laser.

On a separate circuit, when you pull the trigger there will be lights and sounds. I removed the plastic between the grill strips to open it up to allow light to shine through...

0aSdntx.jpg

And I'm adding torch LEDs to light up the grill and barrel...

YO1QkGU.jpg

SckWIjk.jpg

PKFn2hf.jpg

ZW0UDhQ.jpg

suiUjSE.jpg

Lights work! Phew...

Electronics test fitted to handle...

91MNtCS.jpg

Last edited:

Nice work with the electronics! You know, every time I try and scavange lights from other sources I end up screwing them up. :)

Only worked once for me. I am notoriously awful with electronics.

I always enjoy your progress threads! Inspiring work.

And I agree, Broken looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it.

Awesome work! I've always thought this was a really oddly shaped gun but definitely a very iconic prop.

Nice work with the electronics! You know, every time I try and scavange lights from other sources I end up screwing them up. :)

Only worked once for me. I am notoriously awful with electronics.

I always enjoy your progress threads! Inspiring work.

And I agree, Broken looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it.

Ha ha, you and me both! The original loom from the toy had 3 small bulbs attached. I cut 2 bulbs off and replaced them with the torch LEDs, which are each a cluster of about 6 LEDs. I know next to nothing about electronics so when I pushed the button and they all lit up I was more than pleasantly surprised! Ha ha. Fearing they may burn out or something, I've "fired" them up a bunch of times and they seem to be ok. On that note, as I still have 1 small bulb attached, which sits quite close to the circuit board, I'm going to use it to light up a small grill area on the other side of the handle.

With the second set of electronics I had to get advice from the guy at the shop where I bought the components. My hope was to have the turn dial in position 2 light up the red LEDs, then in position 3 the laser would turn on, but the LEDs would stay on too. However, if I bridge the LEDs to work in position 3, it makes the laser turn on in position 2. If I was good with electronics I'm sure I could make it work, but with my limited knowledge I have to go with: position 2 - LEDs, position 3 - laser (but no LEDs).

Thanks for your comments on BROKEN. I'm editing away, up to scene 5 today. [emoji4][emoji106]

Awesome work! I've always thought this was a really oddly shaped gun but definitely a very iconic prop.

Yeah I agree. It's the weirdest shape. And would be a mare to use in real life! All weighted forward, it would get heavy to hold and you'd keep aiming low and shooting bad guys in the knees! Ha ha.

Still, iconic and pretty dam cool.

Fifth Element Police Blaster (WIP)

Coated everything in XTC-3D which gives everything a smooth finish. Probably put it on too thick as I'm too impatient to do multiple thin coats. Typical!

mQmR7jx.jpg

KKrxXsI.jpg

Once dried overnight I took to the lettering to clean it up a bit. Simple job for the Dremel right?? I think I made them worse! Lol

2uVfNUt.jpg

My saving grace is that I'm gonna weather this thing pretty heavily, so it'll hide a lot of the imperfections.

Onto my most favorite part of any build... sanding!

...not! :angry

Last edited:

Ok, parts sanded. I wanted to hide the middle join in the main body of the blaster, so applied model putty filler to the seam.

h6lwlxF.jpg

Hqeo17B.jpg

Primer coat applied, ready for colour...

S7gGfGw.jpg

Last edited:
Fifth Element Police Blaster (WIP)

Found just the right blue - Dupli-color Caribbean Blue. Which is a metallic blue. The silver I've gone with is Plastikote Brilliant Metallic.

ccBAiIP.jpg

Absolutely love the blue! Trying to think of other projects I can use it for. Love the colour!

yUvmjQZ.jpg

Pretty impressed with this silver too. Very, very shiny. Not quite chrome, but definitely not the usual "brushed" silver look from a can. Could be a good option for @rgriesbeck new Men in Black Side Arm (can't wait to build that one!).

tmhCWAc.jpg

Last edited:

Great looking build so far and your movie looks great also from the trailer. I have used the Plastikote myself before, but the only problem I found with it is it is one of those paints that never seems to dry properly so when you handle it you leave finger marks and if you try to seal it with a clear coat it turns to a dull silver. It might just be the UK's cruddy climate and hopefully will not happen with yours but be careful with it :thumbsup

Great looking build so far and your movie looks great also from the trailer. I have used the Plastikote myself before, but the only problem I found with it is it is one of those paints that never seems to dry properly so when you handle it you leave finger marks and if you try to seal it with a clear coat it turns to a dull silver. It might just be the UK's cruddy climate and hopefully will not happen with yours but be careful with it :thumbsup

Yeah I hear ya. In fact I am yet to find a silver paint that doesn't mark when handled or dull when clear-coated. It's such a pain of an issue. I too thought it might be the climate or perhaps my poor painting techniques, so kinda glad to hear it's not just me experiencing these issues. [emoji6]

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back