TIEs and Ys

I'd wager that if you laid a base color of Tamiya XF-63 German grey, you'd have a good approximation of the old Pactra Hot Rod primer.

XF-63 looks REALLY close to what I'd use on the cockpit frame and interior dash - any thoughts on that?

I agree, tonally!

So I just need to add the bottom mount cover and take beauty shots!

IMG_8830.jpgIMG_9480.jpgIMG_9667.jpgIMG_2994.jpg

NOT SO FAST, lol. My reference for these has always been sparse, as I never liked the design all that much, personally. So I totally missed that the wings have T-rod along the outer perimeter. Luckily, a banned member took it as one more opportunity to mock me on Facebook, but honestly I have to thank him, timing-wise. I can get that done tonight, before I take the final beauty shots! He's got some great shots I didn't have access to when I built it, too, so it's nice to see where I missed.

Serves me right for not being obsessed with the Interceptor - I missed a basic detail. :D

1/8th, same as on the ANH TIE perimeters, unless of course I am wrong, lol!

But it looks good, comparing to the pics he's posting from the archives.

I need to ID/get the extra details on the bottom hatch cover sorted, still.

Then I can call it done!

Until I am told I missed something else :lol

T-rod? May I be stoopid and ask for a quick sketch or pic of the feature in question?

R/ Robert

------------------- nevermind, I see it now. Hard to see unless the lighting and angle are correct. So, it runs around the outside edges of the wings with the 'cross bar' of the 'T' glued to the wing edge and the 'upright' oriented outward. Good to know!

Gremlin, I always just cut mine with a xuron cutting plier. Best for sprues and best for mitering T stock too. Cut the top at the desired angle down to the base. Cut each side of the base separately. Nice clean mitering. Just practice a few times on scrap first. :)

I agree, The Xuron is a bit pricey but, definatley worth the money.
I have one I use ofr plastic and one for Brass Photo-etch.
I did not thing to try it with angle cuts (mostly had sprue cutting in mind.) I will try it out, -Thanks for the tip.
I've seen your TIE builds up close ..I know you did a great job putting on the Plastruct trim.

Great work. I'd like to see more

And as far as young Jason and the gold ol 70's.

My parents had the same taste in clothing and hairstyles for me :lol

10452292_10205577605139938_1133424682221439818_n.jpg

An Interceptor, a Hero ANH TIE (matching the color to the EFX tie), and the "Triangles" Y-Wing in progress. A paint master landed and has sidelined these for a week, but l should have the Interceptor done for Jerseyfest. I'd like to bring something new, after all.

I have a Hero Wingstar step by step on Facebook with Plastruct codes and step by step pics. Stars are built - all that's left is paint and Kool Shade/paper.

https://www.facebook.com/roboterkampf/media_set?set=a.10154379443953156.1073741933.674213155&type=3

Check out that crazy color shift with the TIE paint... it looks different in EVERY light source - that is the same color on both balls and wings. The EFX ball is in both pics, just moved position:

View attachment 655051View attachment 655050

Hi Jason. the Wingstar step by step has disappeared. Any chance you could re post?

Yep - can see it now. When I followed the link earlier it said the content was no longer available. As the original owner if you followed the link it may have brought back the content from some backing store. Facebook's technical behaviour is often quirky.

Last edited:
odd, I've tried many times to find it and I never can. Your link at the beginning of the thread shows facebook.com\roboterkampf and comes up as page not found but if I do a google search your page comes up as m10roboterkampf which I can see but don't see any wingstar stuff. I figured it was just because im not a facebooker or just old and blind..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back