ROGUE ONE - Jyn Erso "Imperial Ground Crew" disguise

Hi all,
I’ve been working on modeling in 3D some of the hard parts from this costume for someone else and wanted to share them with the rest of you guys too. I have modeled the Chest and Back plates, and while I was at it I have also done the wands as they are quite a straight-forward model. I certainly don’t pretend for perfection, but at least I think I got most of the details down

The wand parts are designed to be slid around a PVC pipe for increased strength. The PVC pipe needed should have an outer diameter of 20mm (approx. 3/4in), and be 400mm long (approx. 15 3/4in). I haven’t designed anything particular to house electronics into them as I don’t feel like they did any for the screen-used ones.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/482/31220367414_1f8c9064c4_b.jpg

thanks for sharing your 3D files. They are awesome! I am helping my daughter make a set in our new printer for Calgary expo.
I have a few questions :)
What print settings are you using for the wands? I was thinking 10% infill but maybe it should be beefier??
How did you do the red bits at the end of the wands? Just print in red PLA?
did you happen to do a helmet design with these prints? Or is there a link to an STL?

now just have to figure out the best way to finish these puppies. Sand and body full I suppose then some gloss black paint :)

thanks for any help!
shane

Attachments

• BFA93D7C-63F8-432A-9FD2-845C753BA651.jpeg
    BFA93D7C-63F8-432A-9FD2-845C753BA651.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 252
thanks for sharing your 3D files. They are awesome! I am helping my daughter make a set in our new printer for Calgary expo.
I have a few questions :)
What print settings are you using for the wands? I was thinking 10% infill but maybe it should be beefier??
How did you do the red bits at the end of the wands? Just print in red PLA?
did you happen to do a helmet design with these prints? Or is there a link to an STL?

now just have to figure out the best way to finish these puppies. Sand and body full I suppose then some gloss black paint :)

thanks for any help!
shane
For the wand most of the structural strength will be given by the PVC pipe inside it so I guess 10% would be enough. About the "red bits", yes I would suggest just printing them in orange PLA (not red because then it looks like a lightsaber and you don't want that).
And no, I didn't do the helmet so you will need to source one elsewhere.
For the finishing I like to sand the parts first, then depending on the quality of the prints I use body filler, or directly primer filler that I wetsand after.

For the wand most of the structural strength will be given by the PVC pipe inside it so I guess 10% would be enough. About the "red bits", yes I would suggest just printing them in orange PLA (not red because then it looks like a lightsaber and you don't want that).
For the finishing I like to sand the parts first, then depending on the quality of the prints I use body filler, or directly primer filler that I wetsand after.

Awesome thanks for all your help. The prints are working great!
a33a002eed7ab9f691bb990d52dd2b10.jpg
827a685e983c47cb2aa9554848222c3e.jpg

Still lots of sanding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One other quick question. What black did you use for your finish coat? Just a gloss black? Looking at the rustoleum gloss black. Did you use anything else like a clear coat?

Awesome thanks for all your help. The prints are working great!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/a33a002eed7ab9f691bb990d52dd2b10.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/827a685e983c47cb2aa9554848222c3e.jpg

Still lots of sanding!

From my experience with 3D-printed armor - try to apply MOTIP Spray Putty first, directly to print. ;)
Sand it a bit and then - paint!
Will obtain excellent result!
For example-my DeathTrooper 3D printed armor.
2018-04-10 18.05.32.jpg2018-04-10 18.05.49.jpg

Cheers! :)

From my experience with 3D-printed armor - try to apply MOTIP Spray Putty first, directly to print. ;)
Sand it a bit and then - paint!
Will obtain excellent result!
For example-my DeathTrooper 3D printed armor.
View attachment 812627View attachment 812628

Cheers! :)

Great advice thanks!

I ended up using a high build primer and then sanding like a mad man! Reprinted with lower build primer, then sand like a mad man again!

Did a coat of satin black and decided it wasn’t shiny enough. So did 2 coats of gloss black and worked great.
10b36be94a684e17d63d3db5a137c370.jpg

ae7b40205d8b57c17fa75aacadb7373c.jpg
43929cd93ed96f1ac64e11afd2f4ba1d.jpg

Now have to figure out how to mount the wands and the best way to do the strapping system!

I downloaded the STL files, they looks excellent!
BTW any recommendation of the helmet files?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back