Kylo Ren Lightsaber

Whit

I decided to start a thread focusing on my second major prop. My first prop was Mjolnir which can be found via my page.

I am not the best when it comes to a play by play of my process, but I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have along the way.

I am starting this thread in progress, so I only have one image. I haven't posted in a long time, so I need to find a way to get the photo on this thread.

It all started when my friend had sent me an image of his Kylo Ren Lightsaber that he printed on his 3D printer as home. I was greatly surprised and interested in his build that I had to ask him about it. He is not on the RPF and he just wanted to print it for fun, but I was inspired by his print that I wanted to make my own.

He told me that he found the model on Thingiverse, so i went to work searching for the files. I was able to find it and have posted a link to his file page below. Shout out to CaseStudyno8 for the files! Thanks man, they worked out nicely.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1598042

Once I got the files and set up the parts, I stared printing things in ABS at work after hours. Once everything was printed I brought them home for some sanding and acetone washing to smooth out some of the bits, I wasn't tedious with all the parts of the lightsaber, because I knew 1. that this would not be 100% movie accurate and 2. the movie version is actually a bit worn and not a sleek as most lightsabers. There is a certain roughness and almost archaic feel to it.

After getting the parts to a point in which I was satisfied, I used acetone to put all the pieces together with exception to the belt clip piece as I felt it would be hard to paint it and around it if I went ahead and installed that piece. I also had a slight issue with the printed wire that runs along the outside of the hilt so I shaved that off and bored out the small "clips" holding the wire in place. I am going to find some thin red wire to thread through the "clips" and secure it to the hilt once I have everything painted how I like.

Well, I'll leave it at that for now. I have primed most of the hilt and will set to work painting/weathering when I find some more time. Then I may move on to figuring out the blades. I have some ideas on that, but that will be for future posts.

I'll post an image of it as soon as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my flickr account back up. Here is the first and only pic I have of the hilt.

28925274491_518e6fc67e_b.jpg
KRS_primed by J_Whit, on Flickr

Small update. I have added the first coat of base layer paint.

I haven't gotten very far because I have not had a chance to get the paint I need, but I am hoping to do more work on it soon.
KRS_first coat_1.jpegKRS_first coat_2.jpegKRS_first coat_3.jpegKRS_first coat_4.jpeg

Hey, Whit

when doing using the acetone you did the vapor method correct? And which parts did you use that one?

i just got my kit in today and looking/asking around for advice and inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, @Whit

when doing using the acetone you did the vapor method correct? And which parts did you use that one?

i just got my kit in today and looking/asking around for advice and inspiration.
@Mechanized2400,

I decided not to used the vapor method for this. I didn't have any containers at the time and I was itching to get started. I just did some light sanding and then painted the surface with acetone while some of the plastic dust was still on the surface. That helped to smooth out certain areas enough for my liking. Some areas, like the middle grip, I wasn't as concerned with it being very smooth. I wanted my hilt to still look a bit rough.

If you do want more uniform smooth surfaces, I would suggest making a vapor chamber for it. You could do them all at once, if you have a big enough container or do parts individually to better control the amount of smoothness each part gets.

Might I ask where you got your kit? Have you stared a thread yet? I'd be interested in seeing how you put yours together.

Thanks for the kind words.

Awesome, thank you.
I had the same one printed up as you did. Really like the feel of that opposed to another I have which is a bit chunkier. And I just got it in the morning so won't have time till the weekend.

If if you don't mind I'll post my progress on here, don't want to intrude.

As long as this doesn't become your thread, I don't mind a few pictures and comments.

You might want to try starting your own thread though so you can have your own space for your build project. That way things don't get all mixed together.

Looking forward to seeing your build! I'm hoping to do some more work this week/weekend. Got some paints and some new brushes.

I was able to get some great work done on the saber this weekend so I have posted some pics below.

After the initial coat of black I started painting on some other colors with the intent of painting over those colors and distressing the hilt and see how things looked.

I have more to post soon as I am close to being done with the hilt. I am trying to figure out what to use for the red wire that runs down the side of the saber. Anyway, take a look at what I have done so far.

Sorry for the sideways pictures! I posted them from my phone and not sure what happened.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
More photos....also from my phone. Sorry.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
Here is the latest. I did some more dry brushing to enhance the weathering since the last post as well as some sanding and mineral spirits application to remove some paint and smooth out some other areas of paint.

I also bought some other colors to add to the weathering.

I am nearly done with the hilt and will post some more images soon along with the paints I used and where I bought them.

Enjoy!

28872323324_381cb61d02_h.jpg
KRS updates by J_Whit, on Flickr

29417130861_9a5a653b2d_c.jpg

29497127575_26862401ed_b.jpg

29388778242_0975651a76_b.jpg

What is the length of this saber? The Propshop saber is bigger than many of the fan made versions.

Nice job on the finishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What a great job with the weathering. I saw the digital file posted, would you happen to know of anyone printing from this file anywhere? I would love to get one and use this thread as a template for my own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the length of this saber? The Propshop saber is bigger than many of the fan made versions.

Nice job on the finishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks! It is roughly 11-3/8 in long and the side emitters are about 5-5/8 in wide.

What a great job with the weathering. I saw the digital file posted, would you happen to know of anyone printing from this file anywhere? I would love to get one and use this thread as a template for my own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words! Mechanized2400 is working on the same hilt, but I don't know where he got the parts printed. You could probably do a google search for 3D print houses similar to shapeways, or you could ask around the forums to see if anyone could print one for you.

Was there any particular reason you chose this model? It's a little confusing with numerous ones being offered for sale. I have no idea how many distinct models there are. Some may be printing the same model.

The length sounds about right.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back