New alternative for Solo Blaster

Thanks robiwan, I plan on doing just that. And thanks again for your tips on the scope mount. It did come assembled, but I had to take it apart to mount it properly. When I loosened the center thumb screw, it just slid right off by itself. Thanks to you I knew it only slid back on one way.

I've seen some people mention the orange tip on the barrel interfering with the flash hider fitting properly. Not sure if they fixed this or not, but mine slid all the way on with no problem. I still pulled the orange tip off because it was visible through the flash hider.

I have one question about this blaster though. On the back of the grip, right below the safety, there is a little slider type thing. Anyone have any idea what this is? Is it the "hop up" mechanism? It doesn't seem to do anything that I can tell. I don't have any experience with anything other than spring fired airsoft guns and I haven't actually fired this one yet.

I went the Hong Kong route and it just arrived in time for Force Friday. WOOT!
I love it, heavy in the hand and just looks cool.

The screw mounts for the scope were a bit wonky on the threading but they finally went on with some incentive from a wrench.

Thinking of weathering. There are some stellar examples on this thread but I'm a bit leery of scratching and scrubbing and painting it for fear of not getting natural looking results.
Lots of study and contemplation ahead.

IMG_7130.JPGIMG_7132.JPGIMG_7133.JPG

Just take a note from Adam savage. Weathering is random. Sand in many directions, even when recreating the screen used weathering. Once you get started, there should be nothing to fear because weathering is the opposite of perfection.

Evike had another 25% off sale but wouldn't let me use the codes. So it's about $220 shipped. Anyone finding better prices on this?

Are there any accurate STLs out there? I'd love to get one of these, and I have a Makerbot and a Form Labs, so I'd like to print it myself.

Depends on how accurate you’d like it to be. Best bet is to design it urself as most (if not all) are missing the mark or just duplicating other builds that are already incorrect.

Hey everyone. I'm a new member and this thread is what motivated me to join the community. Your talent is truly inspiring. I ordered one of these from evike last week and started working on it as soon as it arrived. Just wanted to share my progress so far. This blaster is cool out of the box but really comes into its own once you start smoothing out the rough edges.

How mine arrived... some weathering already done before it even got here :lol
DSC_0765.jpgDSC_0770.jpg

I am determined to have a mystery disk but the hole and nasty gash on the left side of the frame need fixing before that will be possible. I filled the hole with solder and started sanding.
DSC_0772.jpgDSC_0777.jpg
I have some more work to do to make that plug disappear (hopefully) but it is coming along nicely.

I've also done some weathering to the smaller pieces (hammer, safety, selector switch). I had some Super Blue from prior projects and the small pieces took to it very well. The frame will need Aluminum Black to be blued. Also, the flash hider must be coated in a different manner than the frame as I was able to strip it using aircraft stripper. The aircraft stripper had no effect on the frame.

Here is the assembled blaster at various stages of the build (with festive centerpiece)
DSC_0781.jpgDSC_0790.jpg

More work to do but just wanted to share. Again, thanks to everyone for the inspiration.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I'm a new member and this thread is what motivated me to join the community. Your talent is truly inspiring. I ordered one of these from evike last week and started working on it as soon as it arrived. Just wanted to share my progress so far. This blaster is cool out of the box but really comes into its own once you start smoothing out the rough edges.

How mine arrived... some weathering already done before it even got here :lol
View attachment 779930View attachment 779919

I am determined to have a mystery disk but the hole and nasty gash on the left side of the frame need fixing before that will be possible. I filled the hole with aluminum solder and started sanding.
View attachment 779920View attachment 779921
I have some more work to do to make that plug disappear (hopefully) but it is coming along nicely.

I've also done some weathering to the smaller pieces (hammer, safety, selector switch). I had some Super Blue from prior projects and the small pieces took to it very well. The frame will need Aluminum Black to be blued. Also, the flash hider must be coated in a different manner than the frame as I was able to strip it using aircraft stripper. The aircraft stripper had no effect on the frame.

Here is the assembled blaster at various stages of the build (with festive centerpiece)
View attachment 779933View attachment 779934

More work to do but just wanted to share. Again, thanks to everyone for the inspiration.

Welcome to the RPF! Your work on the DL-44 is a great first post.

A satin finish silver blaster always looks so tempting.

Welcome to the RPF! Your work on the DL-44 is a great first post.

A satin finish silver blaster always looks so tempting.

Thanks! I was tempted to veer off course and make this a custom two tone blaster (it looks so good!) but alas I stuck with the classic Solo look. Here it is all finished aside from a more accurately sized grill (on the way).

33 (3).jpg31 (2).jpg

In no way screen accurate, but fun none the less.

I matched it up with my Master Replicas and the scope is about 2 inches longer on this one.

I had to take a part to the grinder to get it to fit on right, other than that it's nice.

It also had a deep gouge in the paint on the side opposite the scope, no big deal because I was planning on re-doing it anyways.
Not worth getting my undies in a bunch over anyhow.

It would make a really nice piece if you were to knock the shine down, or repaint it and weather it a little.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back