New alternative for Solo Blaster

Welp, I jumped on that and ordered one from Evike too - it arrived today. For $200, off the shelf, it's pretty nice! Certainly more than nice enough for casual costuming. I'm going to try to get some wood grips to replace the plastic, and possibly replace the grill as well (it's a molded plastic piece - the only other plastic aside from the grips).

And of course, some weathering - because this thing looks like it came right off of a fresh shipment from Blas-Tech. Waay too clean to have been bumming around the galaxy for a few decades :)

UPS delays are the worst. I'm the sort that refreshes the tracking constantly (because we know that totally makes the trucks go faster, right?)

Now that I have the blaster, I'm obsessively researching the gun belt, of course. 'Cause I needed another obsession :)

I took some detailed photos of mine, both for before/after weathering reference, and for anyone else who's considering one. I think the most hilarious inaccuracy is the "bull barrel", which is part of a single unit with the flash hider. No piston greeblies, obviously - I'm going to pick those up from Todd's Costumes. Overall, the machining on the add-on parts is very clean.

Here's all the add-on bits disassembled (I forgot to pop the grill off for the first shot, so you get a second with just that removed).

PA011249.jpg PA011259.jpg

And a bunch more shots.

PA011217.jpgPA011222.jpgPA011221.jpgPA011233.jpgPA011237.jpgPA011234.jpgPA011228.jpgPA011227.jpgPA011225.jpgPA011245.jpg

The three most glaring problems I see and will fix first is the heat sink, the grips, and the black disk on the side opposite the scope. That should be a very thin silver disk right?

The three most glaring problems I see and will fix first is the heat sink, the grips, and the black disk on the side opposite the scope. That should be a very thin silver disk right?

I'm no expert (consult the other threads here for that :) ), but I believe the silver disk was machined out of the body. My introduction to obsessing over the DL-44 was the Tested article and video, and I'm not yet at the point of wanting an accurate one myself - just good enough for trooping now.

Here's mine after about an hour with some sandpaper and steel wool. I feel I went a little overboard on the barrel of the flash hider - I got distracted a critical moment and had high contrast black/silver banding that didn't look good, so I had to take it down to a more uniform silver. The finish flips very very quickly from black to silver - takes a while to have any noticeable effect at all with #0000 steel wool, and then BAM! Down to bare metal in an instant.

PA021305.jpgPA021304.jpg

Again, I'm not going for any kind of accurizing with the damage here, just an appropriate level of wear.

I got mine in the post this afternoon. Love it! I've already started working on it. I hope the heat sink I ordered fits.

Doesnt look too bad, if it really bothers you hit it with some aluminum black

I'm no expert (consult the other threads here for that :) ), but I believe the silver disk was machined out of the body. My introduction to obsessing over the DL-44 was the Tested article and video, and I'm not yet at the point of wanting an accurate one myself - just good enough for trooping now.

Here's mine after about an hour with some sandpaper and steel wool. I feel I went a little overboard on the barrel of the flash hider - I got distracted a critical moment and had high contrast black/silver banding that didn't look good, so I had to take it down to a more uniform silver. The finish flips very very quickly from black to silver - takes a while to have any noticeable effect at all with #0000 steel wool, and then BAM! Down to bare metal in an instant.

View attachment 669124View attachment 669123

Again, I'm not going for any kind of accurizing with the damage here, just an appropriate level of wear.

Are these wider than a denix or other makers? I get a 7/8 width, and I'm not sure there is maker of heat sinks that makes them that thick.
Should I be looking for something in particular? I'm also not sure the best source for more accurate grips.

Todds costumes has the tomtit parts you need to make an accurate ANH grill, and they're cheap.

I'm not sure that will work. It's thicker than the Denix and thinner than the readily available airsoft. I have a
3D printed avron cylinder that's supposed to be sized correctly and it's too small.

Todds costumes has the tomtit parts you need to make an accurate ANH grill, and they're cheap.

That's the beauty of using the real parts (also a bit intimidating!). They're basically ribbed cylinders, and you have to cut them to fit. You can definitely fit them to any reasonably sized mauser. You need 3 to make the grill.

wait, just realized your saying the printed one you have isn't wide enough to fit the mauser? The Todds parts have some flex so might still work. Worth a try I guess.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back