New alternative for Solo Blaster

Yeah, I figured since the original grips were likely Walnut, so I used Walnut stain. They do feel really good though. They are nice and solid and a little thicker than the plastic ones. It's a learning experience and now I know I can make some nice Walnut ones when I get the wood and these'll serve as good stand-ins until then.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I thought I read somewhere in the thread that the finish was quite stubborn, possibly powdercoat.

Regardless, I soaked some pieces overnight in acetone and this morning the black finish scrapes right off with a fingernail only. So I can confirm, acetone works!

I took down the sheen on the grips and weathered them. It actually pained me to ding them up after all the work, but I think they look better now.
75ba835230da7e1b597ec047d45c534e.jpg

Little more investigation concludes that the acetone works swimmingly on the machined addon parts such as the flash hider. But it's proving to be less effective on the other gun pieces.

Additionally the knobs for the mount/disk greeble are coated in something slightly different and they don't strip as easily with acetone.

I tried paint stripper. The flash suppressor came almost clean with just paper towel. A little buff with steel wool cleaned it right up. The barrel took some scraping before the steel wool, but it wasn't too much work. My Aluminum black should arrive this week.
6083baa23fa57e7efa3734861080a1df.jpg
acd43f0386f776db7866e12fd274d2a3.jpg
1182ef2cf757594a2e3b99b36c6386c3.jpg

So after a long night of sanding, I can say that the acetone was only really effective on the flash hider... My fingers sure do hurt from sanding.

I am experiencing the same. The paint stripper cleaned up the flash suppressor and the scope, but the rest is proving to be a pita. I'll try more tomorrow.

I used spray on oven cleaner to get powder coating off of a metal tube for a set of GB goggles. Worked very well just make sure to use eye and skin protection since the oven cleaner is lye based.

Mine is mostly cleaned up and waiting for my Aluminum Black to arrive. If Phasma had a DL-44, this is what it would look like. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180202/325371cf6afbd7a3dbea41a7a861bd43.jpg

Wow, great job getting the finish down. Yours looks much better than mine. I've got everything down pretty good except the bolt, and the upper receiver... the Upper receiver is really proving to be a pain. so many complex curves, and the rear sight leaf... ugh.

What's your technique?

I ended up using a Dremel abrasive wheel and it took the powder coat off with one pass. I then used 400 grit, 600 grit, 1500 grit with Polishing Compound, Scotch-Brite, steel wool and finally just paper towel with Polishing Compound.

...and a ton of elbow grease.

0899c908adff95cfc4a5d447e8ba39dc.jpg

Mine is mostly blacked. It took several applications to get it to take. The scope and flash supressor didn't take and it wiped right off. I've run out of aluminum black and Amazon doesn't have any left in Canada. The price is double to get it from the US and it'll take a month. Does anyone know where else might sell aluminum black?

Mine is mostly blacked. It took several applications to get it to take. The scope and flash supressor didn't take and it wiped right off. I've run out of aluminum black and Amazon doesn't have any left in Canada. The price is double to get it from the US and it'll take a month. Does anyone know where else might sell aluminum black?

I'd think maybe a gun store but honestly they're more likely to sell steel black than aluminum black.

I'd think maybe a gun store but honestly they're more likely to sell steel black than aluminum black.
Yeah, I can get bluing anywhere, bit aluminum black is less common. I tried Cabela's and Bass Pro, but no luck. I'll just have to order some and wait I guess.

This is how it is now, until I get some more aluminum black.

How's yours coming along, Peep?
edc05840b7966467b615f345a7a2c89e.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back