Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415
Subscribe
    From
    Anchorage, Alaska
    May 28, 2017, 8:54 PM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #351

Robiwon said: View Post
    Just in case people have not seen my thread on the mods to my gun, I thought I'd drop this in here. This is a new grill for the AW that is a direct, snap on, replacement for the stock grill. Available in Frosted Ultra and Frosted Extreme deatil there is no need for sanding. Just wash, paint, and snap on!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ST...irsoft-version

http://i63.tinypic.com/29cw8pe.jpg
    What is the difference between Ultra and Extreme detail?
    From
    Danville KY
    May 29, 2017, 3:57 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #352

Taken from Shapeways-

Frosted Ultra Detail and Frosted Extreme Detail are both made of a UV cured acrylic polymer. While both offer high resolution, Frosted Extreme Detail uses a 16 micron layer height to produce incredibly fine features, making it a great choice for miniatures, model trains, and products with very fine embossed or engraved details. Both materials are well suited for painting, and are relatively brittle, especially when features are thin. The material is heat resistant up to 80C / 176F degrees.
    From
    Danville KY
    May 29, 2017, 8:02 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #353

The blaster in this thread is the Armorer Works DL-44 airsoft replica. It is not a licenesed replica which is why many small details are "off" a bit. The base gun is a green gas powered airsoft Mauser that fires industry standard 6mm plastic BB's in either semi or full auto. This blaster does not replicate any "on screen" blaster but is loosely based on the Solo blaster from TFA. It is all metal except for the plastic grips and grill on the front of the mag well. You can pick this blaster up from many online airsoft shops for around $200.

Quality is very good. All the "DL-44" parts are nicely made but again, not 100% accurate. A few examples would be the brass scope sdjustment knob is too tall, the grill on the front of the mag well is too small, it has a selector switch for semi/full auto, the frame rails are not engraved but have a rounded face, etc. These are all minor details but if your looking for a 100% accurate replica you will spend MUCH more and will likely be building it yourself.

Some of the "inaccurasies" can be delt with. I have had Sly Tools on Shapeways design a new ANH and TFA grill made specifically for this blaster. They snap into place just like the stock plastic grill. You can add the missing groove in the scope knob with a dremel and needle file. This helps to visually reduce the percieved height of the knob. The grips can be replaced with replica wood grips as well. And of course a good weathering with various sanding tools and some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black can make the gun look 100 times better.

I think the greatest alure about this particular blaster (for me at least) is that it is not a static prop. You can pick it up and shoot cans, ballons, paper targets, etc in your back yard. The blaster also comes with a small metal clip that can be inserted in the mag so you can dry fire the blaster with just shooting gas and no BB's!

Is it accurate? No. Can you recognise what its supposed to be? Sure can! Is it a blast to mod and work on? You betcha. Is it the cheapest, all metal, DL-44 you can get? Yep. Is it worth every penny? Darn Tootin!!

Wheww........
    From
    Danville KY
    Jun 5, 2017, 10:50 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #354

Quick update- I just received the prototype TFA grill in the mail today from Shapeways. Unlike the other test parts this one is a full detail part. I'll check its fit tonight after work. If all is good it should be up sale on Sly Tools Shapeways store very soon.
    From
    Danville KY
    Jun 5, 2017, 5:14 PM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #355

And it's a perfect fit. Should be available on Shapeways soon. I poped off my mystery disk and reinstalled the stock to make sure the fit was perfect

Would there be any interest in a GK grill for the AW?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0605171735a.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	734194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0605171735.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	734195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0605171736.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	734196  

From
    Danville KY
    Jun 6, 2017, 5:21 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #356

If your wanting a more accurate TFA grill for the AW DL-44, it is up on Shapeways now. I just got the test shot in yesterday and it's a perfect fit to the AW frame.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/R6...irsoft-version

On the Star Wars Blasters Builders FB page it was asked if we could do a GK for the AW. The problem with this is the GK grill does not wrap around far enough to reach the tabs in the AW frame. You would have to fill the frame slots with some kind of filler like JB Weld and sand smooth. You could then epoxy a 3D print of the GK grill in place. I may put up an interest thread to see if there would be enough interest in one for the AW.
    Last edited by Robiwon; Jun 6, 2017 at 7:00 AM.
  7. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Austin, TX
    Jun 6, 2017, 10:46 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #357

Robiwon said: View Post
    If your wanting a more accurate TFA grill for the AW DL-44, it is up on Shapeways now. I just got the test shot in yesterday and it's a perfect fit to the AW frame.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/R6...irsoft-version

On the Star Wars Blasters Builders FB page it was asked if we could do a GK for the AW. The problem with this is the GK grill does not wrap around far enough to reach the tabs in the AW frame. You would have to fill the frame slots with some kind of filler like JB Weld and sand smooth. You could then epoxy a 3D print of the GK grill in place. I may put up an interest thread to see if there would be enough interest in one for the AW.
    Great, thanks for testing that out! Any particular reason you went with the strong & flexible on the TFA one instead of the frosted detail as on the ANH?
    From
    Danville KY
    Jun 6, 2017, 11:02 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #358

I'm keeping the ANH grill on mine. This was just to test the fitment, plus, I've never had a polished S&F part from Shapeways.
    From
    Hong Kong
    Jun 10, 2017, 5:59 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #359

Mine from Shapeways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Hong Kong
    Jun 10, 2017, 6:20 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #360

Completed!

From
    Danville KY
    Jun 10, 2017, 10:02 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #361

Looks fantastic! Are those the stock grips? I need to source a set of wood grips for mine.
  12. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    1 Week Ago  Jul 11, 2017, 10:05 PM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #362

Hey guys, long time lurker and noob prop collector here. Just pre-ordered one of these bad boys today and spent all day (at work, LOL) perusing this thread as well as others. Super excited to be getting one of these. While I'm not much of a prop collector, I have always wanted a decent DL-44. Lots of great stuff in here, you guys are all very talented. I've got a couple things in mind for upgrades when I get mine. One thing I'd really like to do is upgrade to real wood grips. I've seen quite a few online, can anyone suggest a good source that will fit this gun?
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    4 Days Ago  Jul 16, 2017, 11:16 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #363

Billy Ray said: View Post
    Hey guys, long time lurker and noob prop collector here. Just pre-ordered one of these bad boys today and spent all day (at work, LOL) perusing this thread as well as others. Super excited to be getting one of these. While I'm not much of a prop collector, I have always wanted a decent DL-44. Lots of great stuff in here, you guys are all very talented. I've got a couple things in mind for upgrades when I get mine. One thing I'd really like to do is upgrade to real wood grips. I've seen quite a few online, can anyone suggest a good source that will fit this gun?
    Post number 240 in this thread.

14. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    4 Days Ago  Jul 16, 2017, 10:11 PM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #364

Thanks Trooper_trent! Not sure how I missed that. So you just have to modify the inside "step" of the grips to fit?
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    3 Days Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 9:08 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #365

Billy Ray said: View Post
    Thanks Trooper_trent! Not sure how I missed that. So you just have to modify the inside "step" of the grips to fit?
    Yes, the step on the grips is a bit too large to fit in the handle. So place the grips where they should go and trace around the inside of the handle. Then I just used a dremel to knock off the excess until they snapped into place.
  16. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    3 Days Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 7:28 PM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #366

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'm still waiting on mine to ship but just trying to get all my ducks in a row now. Already planning on getting the grill replacement from shapeways and cutting the notch in the range finder adjustment knob...and of course weathering it up and adding wood grips. Also trying to sort out a good display stand.
  17. Member Since
    Jun 2017
    18 Hours Ago  Jul 20, 2017, 9:18 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #367

Hello! Coming out of the lurking shadows for my 1st post, which is to ask:

Does anyone know if the Evike AW Custom will fit in the ANOVOS Han Solo holster?

Thanks.
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    16 Hours Ago  Jul 20, 2017, 10:49 AM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #368

Looks like Evike has these in stock! It's no longer listed as a pre-order. No shipping notice yet...can't stop refreshing my order page though LOL.
  19. RPF Premium Member chubsANDdoggers's Avatar
    15 Hours Ago  Jul 20, 2017, 11:52 AM - New alternative for Solo Blaster #369

LastMaxStanding said: View Post
    Hello! Coming out of the lurking shadows for my 1st post, which is to ask:

Does anyone know if the Evike AW Custom will fit in the ANOVOS Han Solo holster?

Thanks.
    I'm sure it will. If the holster is constructed properly it should fit a denix, MGC or airsoft like a glove. This is my airsoft TFA blaster in a "the costume base" holster. If it fits this holster then it should fit the ANOVOS without question.
  20. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    4 Hours Ago  Jul 20, 2017, 11:07 PM - Re: New alternative for Solo Blaster #370

Chubs, what are your thoughts on that holster? I was checking them out and the are very reasonably priced. How is the quality? Is that the real leather one? It looks like real leather. Did you get the droid caller and greeblies from Costume Base as well?