Next Superman Movie (Henry Cavill Out?)

Re: Man of Steel Sequel in Active Development

Im not sold on Matt Vaughan.
I even less sold on the rumours that Black Adam/ The Rock is said to be the planned villain/ debuted in this movie (its why he's not in the planned Shazam film).

But we need a Superman movie in the vein of the Wonder Woman movie (which was in the vein of Superman The Movie).
I think THIS Superman needs his mythos explored some more. He chose Earth over Krypton in Man of Steel... how has that affected him?
He needs to be faced with something impossible.
He needs to smile and love what he does.
And Luthors father needs to be revealed as alive.. and the REAL Lex.

Man of Steel 2: Matthew Vaughn Teases His Superman Take | Collider

"Weirdly if I did do Superman—and I made the mistake of telling someone yesterday I have spoken about it and then wallop (laughs)—I think my main take would be, it’s really boring but make a Superman film. I just don’t feel a proper Superman—I think Donner did it to perfection for that time. Just doing the modern—I wanna do a modern version of the Donner [version]. Go back to the source material.. For me Superman is color, feel-good, heroic. He’s a beacon of light in darkness. And that’s what I think Superman should be."

WB better finalize his deal and lock him down before 20th Century Fox nabs him to jump start another of one their franchises like Flash Gordon (which I am also looking forward to).

Since they are doing different DCEU spin-off movies, I wonder if they will allow Vaughn to reboot the character with a standalone Superman movie. Seems unlikely, but it could work. If not he can still do the sequel and put his own spin without necessarily acknowledging the previous films.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think they should at least change the title.
Man of Steel is an interesting title but Man of Steel 2 is a boring title.
Plus I'd think they'd want to distance themselves from the cloud of the first film, no?

I really hope this happens as I totally agree. I feel the first one was way too dark and depressing...and that's just not Superman.

- - - Updated - - -

"Weirdly if I did do Superman—and I made the mistake of telling someone yesterday I have spoken about it and then wallop (laughs)—I think my main take would be, it’s really boring but make a Superman film. I just don’t feel a proper Superman—I think Donner did it to perfection for that time. Just doing the modern—I wanna do a modern version of the Donner [version]. Go back to the source material.. For me Superman is color, feel-good, heroic. He’s a beacon of light in darkness. And that’s what I think Superman should be."

I really hope this happens as I totally agree. I feel the first one was way too dark and depressing...and that's just not Superman.

I would love to see Vaughn's take on Superman. First Class is, IMO, the only REALLY good X-film since X2 (even if they did muck up the timeline).

WB better finalize his deal and lock him down before 20th Century Fox nabs him to jump start another of one their franchises like Flash Gordon (which I am also looking forward to).

Since they are doing different DCEU spin-off movies, I wonder if they will allow Vaughn to reboot the character with a standalone Superman movie. Seems unlikely, but it could work. If not he can still do the sequel and put his own spin without necessarily acknowledging the previous films.
How is he not describing 'Superman Returns'?

In hindsight, I kind of wish we could have seen a sequel to 'Returns' instead of the dark and depressing MOS.

How is he not describing 'Superman Returns'?

It does appear that way, but I think what he is implying is that his modern version will represent the themes and character qualities portrayed in the Donner version (like feel-good, noble and heroic), while Singer's take was a sequel that actually acknowledged the first two Donner films.

Though I enjoyed Superman Returns it was a Superman movie nearly after 20 years of absence, so it should have been an origin film. (Also the kid subplot was a huge misstep).

Regardless of how the character is perceived in pop culture (via cartoons, comics and Smallville) there was a whole generation of general audience who didn't grow up on the classic films and it was chance for them to discover the character via a new film. The 2000s was dominated by movies of Spider-Man, X-Men and later Batman among other superheroes, but Superman hardly had any presence as Superman Returns was released in 2006, then 7 years later Man of Steel in 2013.

It does appear that way, but I think what he is implying is that his modern version will represent the themes and character qualities portrayed in the Donner version (like feel-good, noble and heroic), while Singer's take was a sequel that actually acknowledged the first two Donner films.

Though I enjoyed Superman Returns it was a Superman movie nearly after 20 years of absence, so it should have been an origin film. (Also the kid subplot was a huge misstep).

Regardless of how the character is perceived in pop culture (via cartoons, comics and Smallville) there was a whole generation of general audience who didn't grow up on the classic films and it was chance for them to discover the character via a new film. The 2000s was dominated by movies of Spider-Man, X-Men and later Batman among other superheroes, but Superman hardly had any presence as Superman Returns was released in 2006, then 7 years later Man of Steel in 2013.

Superman Returns had three big problems with it.

1. The kid subplot was just...wrong.

2. Lex Luthor's plan just felt like a rehash of the original Donner film.

3. Lois Lane was horribly cast.

I thought Brandon Routh was terrific in the role, but was done a disservice by an otherwise weak story. I'd have loved to see him suit up again, and he's one of the main reasons I continue to watch Legends of Tomorrow.

Matthew Vaughn Would Be 'Happy' To Direct A 'Man Of Steel' Sequel

Uproxx: "Not that you’re looking for advice from strangers, but it would be great if you directed Man of Steel 2.

Well, if I do, I’ll be happy as well. It’s an honor to even have had a discussion. So, they’re probably freaking out that I’ve even mentioned it. But, yes, we’ll see. Who knows what will happen in my life, that’s for sure."

I need to keep my expectations in check, as this sequel is at least another 4 years away and WB may not even end up hiring him.

Justice League (November 17, 2017)
Aquaman (December 21, 2018)
Shazam! (April 5, 2019)
Wonder Woman 2 (December 13, 2019)

Beside the above four films, there is Whedon's Batgirl and the Suicide Squad spin off films.

If this Superman sequel were to get released in 2020/21, the movie needs to go in production sometime in 2019. Vaughn will likely be adapting I Am Pilgrim before that.

Just came across this nice interview from January 2015 where he talks about his exit from the X-Men films and making Kingsman. He continues to talk about entertaining films while referencing Star Wars, Indy, then about Spielberg, Nolan and raves about GOTG, followed by Superman.

Writer / Director Matthew Vaughn Interview - Kingsman: The Secret Service - YouTube

Superman Returns had three big problems with it.

1. The kid subplot was just...wrong.

2. Lex Luthor's plan just felt like a rehash of the original Donner film.

3. Lois Lane was horribly cast.

I thought Brandon Routh was terrific in the role, but was done a disservice by an otherwise weak story. I'd have loved to see him suit up again, and he's one of the main reasons I continue to watch Legends of Tomorrow.
The suit needed to be better, and the gay undertones needed to be axed. But yeah, everything what you said was spot on, especially the kid.

However, the airplane rescue sequence was a damn feel good moment for me, the music kicked in, Superman saving the day, it was glorious. Too bad that was the highlight of the whole film.

Update: I just watched the clip on youtube, and man. Brandon Routh was a great superman, he was just stuck in a ****ty movie. Such a bummer. I sure as hell like him more than Henry Cavill.

Last edited:

The suit needed to be better, and the gay undertones needed to be axed. But yeah, everything what you said was spot on, especially the kid.

However, the airplane rescue sequence was a damn feel good moment for me, the music kicked in, Superman saving the day, it was glorious. Too bad that was the highlight of the whole film.

Update: I just watched the clip on youtube, and man. Brandon Routh was a great superman, he was just stuck in a ****ty movie. Such a bummer. I sure as hell like him more than Henry Cavill.

The "gay undertones"?

What gay undertones are you referring to? And if there are any, why would that be an issue?

The "gay undertones"?

What gay undertones are you referring to? And if there are any, why would that be an issue?
Bryan Singer who is openly gay stated that he wanted to give Superman the same outsider feeling that gay people experience during their life etc. Its an issue because some people dont like to have certain things pushed on them when they are trying to watch a movie. Also, Superman isnt gay, thats why.

Bryan Singer who is openly gay stated that he wanted to give Superman the same outsider feeling that gay people experience during their life etc. Its an issue because some people dont like to have certain things pushed on them when they are trying to watch a movie. Also, Superman isnt gay, thats why.

You consider an undertone to be something pushed upon you?

Consider the following if you will.

A group of people, let's call them gay, have been mocked, made fun of, and considered abnormal by many people for quite some time now. Even though being gay in no way impacts their lives any more than being "straight" should impact anyone else's life.

However, even though gay people are 100% the same as "straight" people, "straight" people find any form of popular media promotion to be part of an agenda that will destroy the fabric of their "straight" lives.

Try not to be defensive now. Gay people are people. But because they have been marginalized for SO long by SO many, the only way they can become "accepted" in society is to have popular culture promote them.

People who don't want to see anything gay, are more than welcome to NOT watch a gay person, ya know, be a person just like them. Those people can turn away and hopefully become the minority.

Unfortunately, it's not gay content that's "pushed" on us. It's OUR content that's pushed, and has been pushed, on them.

Fortunately, it is slowly, but surly, I hope, working.

And again, consider this. Gay people- PEOPLE- are no threat to you. There's no agenda to make you gay.

It seems that all one group wants is fairness, and another just wants to keep them from getting that.

Besides, how do you know Superman isn't gay? Clark/ Superman lives two lives. Maybe he's been living more than that because society is too quick to judge what another has a legal right to love. Maybe people are just ********, and Superman has been too afraid what people will think. Because they are ********. They really are. For no reason other than how they were brought up.

Maybe it's time for Superman to come out of the Phone booth.

Ps

I'm a married heterosexual white male who has absolutely NO FEAR of any minority group being treated as equal as me. Everyone deserves the right to have the same life that I lead, without fear of persecution by ANYONE, ANYTIME. And some will suggest that people have a right to be bigots, but they don't. Bigotry serves to subjugate another group. To keep them from being equal. And that's why "undertones" are needed. That's why they need to be "pushed". Because bigots keep trying to keep People from being People.

You need to relax man. Seriously. Im not against gay people doing whatever it is that they want to do, but dont make everything thats already established as NOT gay, as gay. You want to do a gay super hero movie? Be my guest, but dont make it be Superman. I hang around gay people quite a bit, and thats one thing that I find annoying, is that they try to make everything gay. "Oh yeah, all those guys in Saving Private Rayn? Totally gay. Doc Holliday and Kurt Russell were totally gay for each other in Tombstone etc". You took what I said completely out of context, hopped up on your soap box and did your good deed for the day. Congrats. And yeah, I know gay people are people. And yeah, they arent a "threat" to me. Quit trying to make me out to be a bigot and villify me, and you out to be the hero here.

Lets say Im a big shot director. I was fat when I was a kid so Im going to make Superman be fat. Totally overweight, morbidly obese Superman. I somehow get the movie greenlit and everyone sees it and I get raked over the coals for it. How would you feel about that? "Oh but fat people are people too!" And yeah, of course, duh. But SUPERMAN ISNT FAT.

And besides, Superman Returns wasnt even that great of a movie, ASIDE from the gay undertones that I didnt like. I love Bryan Singers other films, but when you try to twist a character to your own whims that goes against a character that has been around for decades, it falls flat. Same reason Man of Steel was pretty lame. People that made that movie didnt understand the character. Why did Richard Donners Superman do so well? Because they understood the character, and Chistopher Reeve portrayed him well on screen.

You want to do a gay super hero movie? Be my guest, but dont make it be Superman.

Yeah, everybody knows Batman and Robin would be perfect for that, not Superman.

But seriously, I've only seen Superman Returns once but I don't recall any "gay" agenda undertone. I just thought they pushed the soap opera vibe too much.

You need to relax man. Seriously. Im not against gay people doing whatever it is that they want to do, but dont make everything thats already established as NOT gay, as gay. You want to do a gay super hero movie? Be my guest, but dont make it be Superman. I hang around gay people quite a bit, and thats one thing that I find annoying, is that they try to make everything gay. "Oh yeah, all those guys in Saving Private Rayn? Totally gay. Doc Holliday and Kurt Russell were totally gay for each other in Tombstone etc". You took what I said completely out of context, hopped up on your soap box and did your good deed for the day. Congrats. And yeah, I know gay people are people. And yeah, they arent a "threat" to me. Quit trying to make me out to be a bigot and villify me, and you out to be the hero here.

Lets say Im a big shot director. I was fat when I was a kid so Im going to make Superman be fat. Totally overweight, morbidly obese Superman. I somehow get the movie greenlit and everyone sees it and I get raked over the coals for it. How would you feel about that? "Oh but fat people are people too!" And yeah, of course, duh. But SUPERMAN ISNT FAT.

And besides, Superman Returns wasnt even that great of a movie, ASIDE from the gay undertones that I didnt like. I love Bryan Singers other films, but when you try to twist a character to your own whims that goes against a character that has been around for decades, it falls flat. Same reason Man of Steel was pretty lame. People that made that movie didnt understand the character. Why did Richard Donners Superman do so well? Because they understood the character, and Chistopher Reeve portrayed him well on screen.

Clearly I'm the one that needs to relax. :lol

Superman is the perfect example of who should change. He is the embodiment of what is good, while struggling with who he is.

How about if he were bi? A little bit of this, and a little bit of that. Then everyone can be happy?

And no, I actually am not okay with the normalization of larger people. While they should NOT be condemned at all for being overweight, normalizing it is not the right thing to do, because from a medically healthy point of view, it's harmful. Like promoting smoking, that we don't do anymore.

I am glad that you state that it wasn't JUST the gay undertones you didn't like though... I mean, otherwise, it would be just BECAUSE of the gay undertones, and THAT would be something worth vilifying, right? You agree with that part I assume. So I am glad you elucidated your position.

And no, I don't agree that every character needs to be changed for the sake of changing, but if we fight against a change simply because of a colour, gender, or sexual preference, than what does that really say?

Think about it, man. Seriously think about it. How in the world does this hurt you or anyone else? When all it does is help other people. And hell, that's what superman fights for, right? Is it the message, or the medium that's important?

Clearly I'm the one that needs to relax. :lol

Superman is the perfect example of who should change. He is the embodiment of what is good, while struggling with who he is.

How about if he were bi? A little bit of this, and a little bit of that. Then everyone can be happy?

And no, I actually am not okay with the normalization of larger people. While they should NOT be condemned at all for being overweight, normalizing it is not the right thing to do, because from a medically healthy point of view, it's harmful. Like promoting smoking, that we don't do anymore.

I am glad that you state that it wasn't JUST the gay undertones you didn't like though... I mean, otherwise, it would be just BECAUSE of the gay undertones, and THAT would be something worth vilifying, right? You agree with that part I assume. So I am glad you elucidated your position.

And no, I don't agree that every character needs to be changed for the sake of changing, but if we fight against a change simply because of a colour, gender, or sexual preference, than what does that really say?

Think about it, man. Seriously think about it. How in the world does this hurt you or anyone else? When all it does is help other people. And hell, that's what superman fights for, right? Is it the message, or the medium that's important?
See, thats where youre wrong. Superman isnt struggling with who he is. Thats how Zack Snyder is portraying him because the guy is a crappy story teller. You know who has done Superman well recently? Marvel, with Captain America. THATS how Superman should be, minus the "man out of time" aspect of it.

No, youre not understanding where Im coming from. Superman isnt bi, dont change him just for the sake of change. Why do you think Marvel comic sales are floundering? Because their editorial staff changed the core super heroes to be more diverse. People that followed those characters for years feel betrayed because instead of creating new characters, Marvel is trying to bank on the names but changing it to try and get new readers, but alienate their old ones. Then nobody buys them.

That really says that we like our characters for who they are and what they represent. When you take those things away, those things dont make the character anymore.

It doesnt hurt me at all, but when its something I care about being changed to accommodate people just cause...it bothers me. It doesnt "help" other people either. It obviously didnt help the movie either, because it didnt do will critically or financially.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back