So, I made a real MOVIE... DVD release June 27th!

Re: So, I made a real MOVIE... watch the trailer here!

Wow, over a year since I last posted about this! Man time flies.

Update - the trailer now has nearly 4 million views online across fb, yt, etc. But the big news is the execs have landed a distribution deal that will see the movie released in over 50 theatres nationwide throughout New Zealand, early next year. That's like what they do for Blockbuster films! So an amazing deal and the execs are stoked. They are also in talks with various US distributors for international distribution.

On a personal note my wife and I have packed up our 3 kids and moved overseas, currently in Canada but we think we'll end up in the US for a bit. Most likely to make more movies. We're hoping to make it back to NZ for the premier of Broken in January. It's a long-shot, but I'll keep you posted.

Wow, over a year since I last posted about this! Man time flies.

Update - the trailer now has nearly 4 million views online across fb, yt, etc. But the big news is the execs have landed a distribution deal that will see the movie released in over 50 theatres nationwide throughout New Zealand, early next year. That's like what they do for Blockbuster films! So an amazing deal and the execs are stoked. They are also in talks with various US distributors for international distribution.

On a personal note my wife and I have packed up our 3 kids and moved overseas, currently in Canada but we think we'll end up in the US for a bit. Most likely to make more movies. We're hoping to make it back to NZ for the premier of Broken in January. It's a long-shot, but I'll keep you posted.

Congratulations!!!!

That's fantastic. I hope you find loads of success! What part of Canada are you in?

So, I made a real MOVIE... watch the trailer here!

That's fantastic. I hope you find loads of success! What part of Canada are you in?

Thank you sir.

Out New Brunswick at present. But we spend some time in Toronto too. There in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job! I wouldn't totally write out Film Festivals etc. They are a good source of free publicity. Word of mouth is a lot cheaper than advertising.
If your talking to a distributor find out what the delivery requirements are as far as technical stuff, formats, encoding, length etc.
Also get a good entertainment lawyer that specifically deals with distribution contracts.
What is the distribution company paying for, advertising, copies etc, How do they pay you and when.
I've seen a Warner Brothers document that says Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix made Zero Dollars in profit.
http://deadline.com/2010/07/studio-...f-warner-bros-phony-baloney-accounting-51886/
By the time they got done taking out copy fees, shipping, advertising, press junkets to the Swiss alps etc.
Its called Hollywood accounting and it even scares the mafia.
Go ask Peter Jackson about it.
I'm serious call his office, or write, and see if you can ask him for advice.
I have no idea what hes like as a person but it couldn't hurt to try.
I'm not saying you'll get screwed but you might get screwed because you didn't think about
world wide rights, sequel rights, Amazon/Netflix rights, who has the rights to show it in Bulgaria etc.
I've heard too many horror stories from Independent film makers who got screwed because they didn't think about all the paper work.

And don't give away copies to your crew members, friends, family etc until you have it distributed.
Once it's on the net it's out of your hands forever and the value goes down.
Good luck.

Awesomeness

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Great job! I wouldn't totally write out Film Festivals etc. They are a good source of free publicity. Word of mouth is a lot cheaper than advertising.
If your talking to a distributor find out what the delivery requirements are as far as technical stuff, formats, encoding, length etc.
Also get a good entertainment lawyer that specifically deals with distribution contracts.
What is the distribution company paying for, advertising, copies etc, How do they pay you and when.
I've seen a Warner Brothers document that says Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix made Zero Dollars in profit.
http://deadline.com/2010/07/studio-...f-warner-bros-phony-baloney-accounting-51886/
By the time they got done taking out copy fees, shipping, advertising, press junkets to the Swiss alps etc.
Its called Hollywood accounting and it even scares the mafia.
Go ask Peter Jackson about it.
I'm serious call his office, or write, and see if you can ask him for advice.
I have no idea what hes like as a person but it couldn't hurt to try.
I'm not saying you'll get screwed but you might get screwed because you didn't think about
world wide rights, sequel rights, Amazon/Netflix rights, who has the rights to show it in Bulgaria etc.
I've heard too many horror stories from Independent film makers who got screwed because they didn't think about all the paper work.

And don't give away copies to your crew members, friends, family etc until you have it distributed.
Once it's on the net it's out of your hands forever and the value goes down.
Good luck.

Thank you sir for the advice. The film is now in the hands of the exec producers and they are calling the shots on this one. Good advice for the next one though. :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

Awesomeness

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thank you. :)

- - - Updated - - -

They have now officially announced the movie's nation wide release in February...

https://www.facebook.com/brokenthemovienz/

Check out the new official poster for Broken...

UpFAq4v.jpg

Mean as!

Very cool. Any BTS info on the distribution? ie: I know you edited in AVID. Did you do a 5.1 mix? Do you make a DCP for the theaters, or do you just give them a master ProRes copy and then THEY make the DCPs? Any and all info would be much appreciated!

SB

Last edited:

Awesome! I will be telling people.... I knew him before he was famous! ;)

Ha ha, nah, see that's the beauty of being the director, you aren't the face of the movie like the actors. While most people may have heard of famous directors, they usually have no idea what they look like. So the idea is being the director you get the fortune, but skip the fame! I'd hate to be famous and not to be able to live a normal life without people all up in your grill! Ha ha.

Very cool. Any BTS info on the distribution? ie: I know you edited in AVID. Did you do a 5.1 mix? Do you make a DCP for the theaters, or do you just give them a master ProRes copy and then THEY make the DCPs? Any and all info would be much appreciated!

SB

So the exec producers picked up a NZ distributor (Rialto Distribution) so they went with that rather than self-distribution. Yes the film was mixed in 5.1 and yes we took the finished export to a copy house who turned it into a DCP for the theatres. It's not a cheap process, around $800NZD. But I think the distributor paid for these as well as the marketing for the film.

We have TV adds, posters, billboards, etc. And even a music video which is being released this weekend. I'll post a link when I get it.

Cheers.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back