So, I made a real MOVIE... DVD release June 27th!

Re: So, I made a real MOVIE... watch the trailer here!

Looks good - can't wait to see it!

You should look into screening it at the Sundance Film Festival in the USA, too, in case you can't get into Cannes.
It's exclusively indie films, so you won't be competing for attention with studio blockbusters.
Good luck!

The trailer looks fantastic, well done.

Thank you sir. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Looks legit! Congratulations on pulling off the feat!:thumbsup

Thanks. Yeah, the funniest responses has been from friends and fam of the crew. The best was the DOP's wife... "Wow, that looks like a real movie!" Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Nice goin', tmax! I'll be lookin' forward to the full feature next year!

Chur bro,

The Wook

Thanks Wook! I just hope the full movie lives up to the trailer! Lol. To be honest, there's a lot of cool stuff that didn't make the trailer.

"Chur bro"... you must know some maoris! ;-)

Ka pai!

Wow, great visuals! No movie experience? The DoP has real talent. I bet that Hollywood is going to know on your door to remake this into a big budget action movie, although I cannot imagine that the visuals would be much different. What are your distribution channels? How is an international audience going to see this movie? Did you already book tickets to Cannes to sell your movie there?

Yeah the guys worked hard to make every shot look as good as poss taking into account the ridiculously low budget and short time restraints. The have same serious raw talent tho and it was an honour to work with them. Regarding distribution, I am in the fortunate position to have been connected with numerous distributors and are in communication with them already. So all going to plan, we'll skip the "film festival" route and cut straight to the distributor. I'll keep you all posted as things progress.

Thanks Wook! I just hope the full movie lives up to the trailer! Lol. To be honest, there's a lot of cool stuff that didn't make the trailer.

"Chur bro"... you must know some maoris! ;-)

Ka pai!

Lol...I learned that expression from one of our Kiwi RPFers, whose handle is CTF. Great guy, if you ever happen to run into him in the Shire. ;)

Chur,

The Wook

Last edited by a moderator:

That looks like something I'd watch! Reminds me a lot of Once Were Warriors. Loved that movie when I saw it way back when. Can't wait to see this.

Yeah a little like Once Were Warriors. In fact I originally approached Temuera Morrison to be in our film, but he was busy on another project. Interestingly Once Were Warriors was shot in 30 days, which is apparently amazing. We shot this in 28 days. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I went in expecting to roll my eyes and was amazed. Looks very good!

Ha ha, yeah my lame thread title doesn't help, but I'm just keeping it real. I'm a big believer in under-promise and over-deliver! ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Looks good! Nice job.

Cheers bro!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks very good ! The cinematography is indeed very well done from what I can see ! And you have all my respect, I work in production and I know how things can get rock'n roll sometimes, especially on a low budget. Being able to pull this off takes a special kind of people, the kind you don't see often. And I echo DaddyfromNaboo, I don't know if you've found a distributor yet, but if you can go to Cannes, it is the place to be to promote your film ! Do try to subscribe your movie to festivals too, there is the TIFF coming soon by example, although it might be to late for this one this year, but there are plenty more all over Europe and America !

Thanks teragon. It was a lot of hard work, back-to-back 15 hour days for 5 weeks. But i LOVED every minute of it. I literally kept saying out loud - "We're making a movie!" Talk about living the dream.

- - - Updated - - -

Great job. Id watch this.

Remember you said that when you see it advertised at your local theatre. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Very Well shot, looks impressive!

Thanks chantroyal. Not bad for a camera that cost us 2k NZD! That's like $60 USD!!! Ha ha, jokes.

- - - Updated - - -

You pulled off something very special. Speaking from experience, I know how tough that can be. WELL DONE!!

Thank you sir. Receiving comments from prop guys like yourself with extensive industry knowledge means a lot. Much appreciated. :)

Wow, that looks great! How'd you like the BMPC? Did you notice any fixed pattern noise issues in the low light stuff? ProRes or Raw? Details man!

SB

Yeah the BM went well. Bit tricky in low-light, but we went in knowing that. If it got real dark we pulled out the Pocket. We can see in DaVinci that we can't push the low-light stuff too much or the fixed noise pattern appears. So a bit of an issue, but we'll just keep those shots darker which will be fine. We shot most of it in ProRes due to file size. Some of it's in 4k (surfing shots, etc), so we could zoom-in in post if need be.

Very cool, and it looks really well made.
First real film I have seen that features Maori :)

Thanks mate. Yeah there are quite a few excellent Maori films out there. Check out - Whale Rider, The Dark Horse, Deadlands. Oh and Lord Of The Rings! If you didn't know, the lead Uruk-hai Kurtz was played by a Maori - Lawrence Makoare. He was also Bolg in The Hobbit. :)

- - - Updated - - -

WOW, nice job!! I will be watching this.. :popcorn

Get the popcorn ready... :)

- - - Updated - - -

This looks good, I'll certainly be giving it a watch. Nicely done, looks very pro and great production value to it for such an indie movie.

Try this one, starring Jango Fett, but he gets to act in this one!! great movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110729/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Awesome thanks. Yeah Tem did a great job in Once Were Warriors. A brutal, but powerful film.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW! That production crew has some real talent. That is every bit as professional looking as anything out in theaters right now, and didn't cost $100 million plus!

I know right! Didn't even cost $100 thousand! Lol. Which is good coz I have a HCG Tomeno exclusive I have to pay for. ;-)

Wow, looks like a beautifully made movie! It's wonderful to see people putting their talents to something creative!

My only complaint would be that the music seems to drown out the dialog, but it could just be the sound on YouTube.

Anyway, looks really excellent! Congratulations and good luck to you on this!

Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the audio, we actually spent some time ensuring the lines could be heard over the music, etc. Most people with decent seekers or headphones seem to hear the dialogue ok. Of course part of the problem for us is our shocking accents! As much as I love the Kiwi accent, we are crap at pronunciation! We are hard to understand at the best of times. My wife is Canadian and she has always given me stick over our badly pronounced vernacular.

Where are the spaceships?:D

Ha ha, I know right! Sci-fi is by far my fav genre. But let's be honest, unless you're able to do your own after effects on-the-go like Gareth Edwards, or you have serious moola... sci-fi done badly is just terrible. Lol. One day tho.

Who knows, Gareth went from Monsters to Godzilla, to SW-Rogue One!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks good - can't wait to see it!

You should look into screening it at the Sundance Film Festival in the USA, too, in case you can't get into Cannes.
It's exclusively indie films, so you won't be competing for attention with studio blockbusters.
Good luck!

Awesome, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Man that came out great. Truly professional.

Thank you sir.

Thanks mate. Yeah there are quite a few excellent Maori films out there. Check out - Whale Rider, The Dark Horse, Deadlands. Oh and Lord Of The Rings! If you didn't know, the lead Uruk-hai Kurtz was played by a Maori - Lawrence Makoare. He was also Bolg in The Hobbit. :)

You're very welcome :)

I guess it is time to rewatch LOTR. It is after all getting close to a decade and a half since I last saw them(the only time I have seen them) :lol Cheers mate!

Regarding the accent, I had no problem understanding them. I have seen DVD extras with subtitles when the person speaking is Scottish, but then when an American shows up, the subtitles disappeared :wacko blimey, it's the same bloody language :lol

Ha ha, I know right! Sci-fi is by far my fav genre. But let's be honest, unless you're able to do your own after effects on-the-go like Gareth Edwards, or you have serious moola... sci-fi done badly is just terrible. Lol. One day tho.

Who knows, Gareth went from Monsters to Godzilla, to SW-Rogue One!!!!!

Might I recommend Film Riot:
https://www.youtube.com/user/filmriot/videos

tutorials, tip n' tricks and short films

Yeah the BM went well. Bit tricky in low-light, but we went in knowing that. If it got real dark we pulled out the Pocket. We can see in DaVinci that we can't push the low-light stuff too much or the fixed noise pattern appears. So a bit of an issue, but we'll just keep those shots darker which will be fine. We shot most of it in ProRes due to file size. Some of it's in 4k (surfing shots, etc), so we could zoom-in in post if need be.

So did you do an offline edit with proxies or just throw the 4K footage onto the timeline and cut away? Did you edit in Resolve? What's your workflow like?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a film guy too :thumbsup

SB

So did you do an offline edit with proxies or just throw the 4K footage onto the timeline and cut away? Did you edit in Resolve? What's your workflow like?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a film guy too :thumbsup

SB

No apology needed. Happy to answer any questions.

Firstly, the first thing we edited was the trailer because we used it at a live event that was 4 weeks after we finished filming. We also edited 2 scenes that we showed, but these will have to be re-edited for the actual movie. So editing the actual film hasn't quite yet begun. Let me explain further...

We edit on Avid and use Protools for audio. All the raw footage is sitting on a separate drive to our Edit Share space, just because of the sheer size of the project. The origins plan was to just link to the raw ProRes and 4K footage and edit away. Sounds simple. Of course the audio was recorded separately using a Zoom 6 audio recorder. At first we thought there was software that would be able to sync our vision and audio automatically. As it turns out it's not adaptable with Avid. So I am syncing literally every shot manually in Avid using the good old clapper board.

Sussing out the correct workflow for our scenario was a hurdle in itself and took a few hours. The first thing we realized was we had to rename all our audio files or they would just appear in avid and Protools with a Zoom number which gave us no reference to the actual file. So each file got renamed. EG. S3_S5_T2_TR1. Which is scene 3, shot 5, take 2, track 1 (we recorded up to 3 audio tracks at the same time - 2 lapel mics and the boom). Renaming the audio took about 4 days. Lol.

Right now I am consolidating all the vision into Avid. So not transcoding (changing the file) but basically shifting it over into the Avid work-space. This will make things move quicker as the project progresses. As this can be set to transcode overnight, I'm just over half way through and will have the rest transcoded by Monday. Then it's onto syncing each clip and creating a "synced clip" from that media. Those "synced clips" will be what I will actually edit the film with. I'll sync and edit scene by scene starting with scene 1 and working my way through.

So all fun and games... Not! I'm a creative, so all this techo stuff sucks for me. But it has to be done. As you can imagine I can't wait to actually be editing.

Of course this is all a huge journey of discovery for us so I'm more than happy to hear people's ideas, thoughts and comments, especially if there are better ways to be doing it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...Of course the audio was recorded separately using a Zoom 6 audio recorder. At first we thought there was software that would be able to sync our vision and audio automatically. As it turns out it's not adaptable with Avid. So I am syncing literally every shot manually in Avid using the good old clapper board...

Yikes! Have you looked into PluralEyes 3 for Media Composer? That syncs footage and audio automatically. Saves headaches and tons and tons of time.

SB

Yikes! Have you looked into PluralEyes 3 for Media Composer? That syncs footage and audio automatically. Saves headaches and tons and tons of time.

SB

Yeah we looked into this. But wasn't going to do what we needed for when it gets into Protools. So I'm doing it the hard way. The upside is because I'm going a scene at a time I get to go through all the footage again, so I know what's there right before I edit each scene.

Up to scene 5 today. [emoji4][emoji106]

So, I made a real MOVIE... watch the trailer here!

So, the trailer got posted to a Facebook group called - MaoriWorldwide on Friday, in 2 days it's had over 850,000 views (that's like a quarter of the population of New Zealand! Lol), and 20,000 shares!
https://www.facebook.com/MaoriWorldwide/?ref=page_internal

Then this morning there was a short but very sweet article in our national newspaper - the New Zealand Herald...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/movies/news/article.cfm?c_id=200&objectid=11738956

We've done nothing to promote the film other than post the trailer... Wow! It's not even finished. Lol. I'm currently editing scene 60 of 65 scenes, so on the home stretch. Phew!

Last edited:

Posting here to make it easier for me to find this thread, so that I can pay attention to release information.

That looks like a film I'd be really interested in seeing. Nice work!

So, I made a real MOVIE... watch the trailer here!

Posting here to make it easier for me to find this thread, so that I can pay attention to release information.

That looks like a film I'd be really interested in seeing. Nice work!

Thanks mate. Got a TV interview tomorrow morning. Pretty crazy.

Congrats!!! Also, FILMMAKERS UNITE! We need a filmmaking nerd out area to talk shop. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back