Kylo Ren Cutaway Lightsaber

nemik

Hello all :)

So I am taking on a project to build Kylo Ren's lightsaber in a cutaway version, I really love cutaways.
I have some photo references I found ontheline for the modeling of the design and as with the the spirit of the movie saber I will be 3D printing the whole project, maybe some casted parts and fabrication as well, we'll just have to see when I get that far.

Some Help Needed Here?!
I don't have any size comparison reference to get the proportions of the lightsaber correct, I'm not really sure where to find this...

Does anyone have any pictures or resources for this? Or perhaps someones has bought one of the ore accurate Kylo Ren lightsabers that they could take some pictures with a ruler or something for measurements?

Anyways if you guys could post links to some resources online of if you have any you can send my way that be awesome.

Thanks guys and I will try to keep this up to date as I can, as I go.

:)

Last edited:
I believe Guabe's saber stl files are on his shapeway pages, and are as close as you can get without someone measuring a propshop saber.

Hey thanks I'll talk to him... I really want to model it myself though, I don't just want to just use someone else models. This really is a project for me and making everything myself including the 3D models is something important to me.

I will talk to him and see if he can help in some way if he's willing to.
thanks for the reply.

I have also thought about just not worrying about size accuracy and just scaling it up as a more museum piece kind of thing. I should be able to get proportions easily correct. So we'll see..

What do you guys think about that idea being it is going to be a cutaway?

That's ok, I was more meaning for getting the closest dimensions available, you could always reference guabe's work, sorry if that wasn't clear! Being a modeller myself, I understand we're you're coming from :)
Are you going to do a more stylized version of a cutaway, as seen in the Visual Dictionary? Or more prop accurate like in the PropShop behind the scenes video?

Ok yea that makes sense... I haven't decided yet, I have the visual dictionary and to be honest I haven't seen the propshop behind scenes video, I have been meaning to look at it though.

I want to try and make it light up so I don't maybe something in between but I do want it to be as real/ accurate as possible.

~update~
So I think Im going to go more the visual dictionary route, I like the idea of those museum pieces where they cut sections away to show what it looks like or how it works.

Also I may not cut it in the exact same way as the visual dictionary also I noticed that its cut away the section with the ignition button.

Lastly I took measurements and noticed that the illustration in the VD book is almost actual size it measures 10.75 inches so I should be able to take a lot of measurements from there and alter just a bit. Propshop claims its 11.8 in 30 cm so thats like 3-5% wish don't know Ill run the numbers

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back