collinE83 Deadpool kid costume

Wow! After already doing much of this for my 34 year old son, I am totally amazed at your dedication to this project! I only had to do the sewing part on his costume and he did the rest! I couldn't imagine doing all the prop work too! He and I spent many hours studying the same photos that you did. Great work, but just know little boys that like to dress up at Halloween or Comicons never seem to outgrow it. Hopefully he will take up the mantle and learn to do some of this creative work himself. Looking forward to seeing the completed project! :D

Hey, I forgot all about this thread!

Just kidding! In true collinE83 fashion, I've just let myself get distracted with life and haven't updated you guys on The RPF. The costume's still not done! I took a break and then started back up, then before I knew it, it became crunch time again. I figure I better update the thread before I finish this costume and move on to different one. amirite?

Here's the current status of the shirt section.

image.png

Hopefully once I get the zipper on, it'll all pull back a little and not look like the shoulders are slouching as much.. I modified the pecs, since they were looking a little small, and now I'm not so sure about that decision. The foam I used was a little too thick and I think I made them too tall. It's still good enough, though, so I'm going to roll with it.

The gloves took some time for me to lock down what I wanted to do.

gloves ref.JPG

I didn't want to learn urethane rubber molding for this build to make it look reeaally good. But I also didn't want to buy a cheap pair of gloves, glue some foam rectangles on the back, and call it good. I'm unfortunately not so great with custom foam-ing shapes, mostly just pepping... and I didn't have a clue where I could find a good Deadpool glove pattern. so I was kinda stuck.

*switch to montage of me throwing and breaking things and then crying into my pillow*

I was thinking about vacuum forming some pistol holsters with craft foam when I had a stroke of genius that I'm sure someone else has already thought of. I decided to mold my son's hands and vacuum form craft foam over them.

Plaster gauze over hands--
image.png

Several layers of caulk--
image.png

the hand pieces--
image.png

The super quick vacuum forming setup--

image.png

I know you're supposed to warm the sheet in an oven and sandwich it between frames, but aint nobody got time for that. I just taped it down and used a heat gun over the foam while the vacuum was on.

additional foam pieces added--
image.png

and Plasti Dip'd--
image.png

Not perfect, but not terrible. (That also happens to be my motto in life).

image.pngimage.png

You'll also see the gloves I sewed. I basically just traced an outline around my son's hands and used that as a top and bottom pattern for the gloves. The red and the black fabric are both 4-way stretch so the gloves turned out great and are perfectly sized. I only did the backside of his hands with the foam, so it's more comfortable and flexible, and also won't get messed up as easy. As always, ignore the washable marker lines. I like to wait until I'm finished before rinsing them off.

More to come.

Great build ! Do you have any finished suit pictures?
I'll have them someday! :cool

Wow! After already doing much of this for my 34 year old son, I am totally amazed at your dedication to this project! I only had to do the sewing part on his costume and he did the rest! I couldn't imagine doing all the prop work too! He and I spent many hours studying the same photos that you did. Great work, but just know little boys that like to dress up at Halloween or Comicons never seem to outgrow it. Hopefully he will take up the mantle and learn to do some of this creative work himself. Looking forward to seeing the completed project! :D

Your suit is extremely impressive. I hope I can work up to that level and still be making costumes for my son when he's 34. :D

and special shout out to my man @George who has been keeping me motivated and checking in periodically to offer help and assistance along the way. You're an asset to the forum.

Last edited:
Bro, your boots and pauldrons look amazing. I'll have to keep this thread saved for when I do a normal Deadpool suit (right now I'm making one in green, gold, and white). I can't wait to see the final results on this build!

Hey, I forgot all about this thread!

Just kidding! In true collinE83 fashion, I've just let myself get distracted with life and haven't updated you guys on The RPF. The costume's still not done! I took a break and then started back up, then before I knew it, it became crunch time again. I figure I better update the thread before I finish this costume and move on to different one. amirite?

The super quick vacuum forming setup--

View attachment 673251

I know you're supposed to warm the sheet in an oven and sandwich it between frames, but aint nobody got time for that. I just taped it down and used a heat gun over the foam while the vacuum was on.

additional foam pieces added--
View attachment 673253

and Plasti Dip'd--
View attachment 673254

Not perfect, but not terrible. (That also happens to be my motto in life).

View attachment 673255View attachment 673256

You'll also see the gloves I sewed. I basically just traced an outline around my son's hands and used that as a top and bottom pattern for the gloves. The red and the black fabric are both 4-way stretch so the gloves turned out great and are perfectly sized. I only did the backside of his hands with the foam, so it's more comfortable and flexible, and also won't get messed up as easy. As always, ignore the washable marker lines. I like to wait until I'm finished before rinsing them off.

More to come.

Really impressive... looks easy enough but with a great outcome.
What kind of material is that brown foam stuff you use??

Really impressive... looks easy enough but with a great outcome.
What kind of material is that brown foam stuff you use??

Hey! Thanks, sir. It's just a 2mm sheet of craft foam. I think it was a pack of Foamies brand craft foam. Same stuff I used for the pouches. One thing I liked about it was that it not only stretched the foam out to form around the hands, the heat gun also collapsed the cells. Now it's almost half as thick, which seems to help it flex easier. I'll probably use the technique more in the future, maybe even with thicker foam and stronger vacuum.

Yesterday was dress-up day at Parker's school. At minimum, I had to have a wearable costume completed. No masks or weapons allowed, so I have a few more days to do holsters, guns, swords, and knife. I still want to write up some detailed steps on how I did some of the parts, but after hitting this milestone or checkpoint or whatever, I figured I'd take a moment to post an update and get a couple pictures uploaded.

I stole the zipper off an old hoodie and that worked great for the back. I usually don't think about saving stuff like that when I get rid of clothes, but I'm going to start. I kinda discussed it with my son and we decided that the collar was going to be a second priority detail piece that I didn't 100% need completed for school. I'll get back to you if I complete it at all. I figure'd time to rinse the marker off. That was fun.

image.png

The belt buckle ended up being less detailed than the movie version, but I still had fun making it. I also forgot to buy the brown belt that I was wanting to use. I ended up just using my trusty brown craft foam and rolled with it. Doesn't look as good for a belt, but definitely did the trick in a pinch. The buckle is a combination of 4mm and 2mm foam.

image.png

I didn't have any clips to go with the nylon straps so I fashioned a couple out of Sintra sheets. They're not strong enough to support the straps by themselves, so I put some nylon and red fabric behind them. Now they're pretty much just decoration.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Also finally moved forward with the pants. I went back and forth deciding if I wanted to follow the sew lines as closely as on the shirt and eventually landed on "I need to get this done." So I went with a simplified version. It turned out pretty well. It felt good to have the bottom half of the suit done and have something Parker could wear. I worried about how to secure the shin pieces to the lower leg more than I really needed to. They were tight enough and fit close enough between the knee pads and the boots that I didn't really need to have any additional fixing mechanism. That was lucky. True story, I didn't have Parker try on the pants until right before school. >_< Worked out fine though.

Sorry for the contrast on the photo.

image.png

Ken Landrum's pattern was really helpful to visualize everything, then I mapped it out further using reference photos.

Here's a closer shot of the wrist pieces done with 4mm foam and just eyeballed to have a similar look to the movie ones. I didn't want to worry about Parker having to worry about clipping them on or velcroing them with one hand or anything. They join together on the inner wrist and have a little elastic strap holding them together, so it's more like a scrunchey that you slide on and off.

image.png

and there's the money shot, baby.

image.pngimage.png

I'll be throwing on a couple more of the pouches, straps, holsters, swords etc. The mask is done 100% even though I'm not really happy with it, since I made the holes for the eyepieces too small and it's stretched out too much to make room for them. Not sure I'll have enough time to do anything about it, so oh well.

Bro, your boots and pauldrons look amazing. I'll have to keep this thread saved for when I do a normal Deadpool suit (right now I'm making one in green, gold, and white). I can't wait to see the final results on this build!

Sorry I missed your post before because of the page break. Thanks a lot.

Hey! If you could,take some pictures and make a thread or post them here. I'd like to see your multicolored DP.

IMG_1657.JPG

Sorry for the poor imagery - it's still damp with sweat from being sprayed with water in a haunted house, and my floor has some EVA scraps from the time I tried scratch building armor a few weeks ago, hopefully it's salvageable. I'll get a better picture once the mask is done with me in it. You really have the accessories on point with your son's build - that's one area that mine falls short in, not to mention my mom didn't have the right needle and foot for her sewing machine for this fabric.

View attachment 678002

Sorry for the poor imagery - it's still damp with sweat from being sprayed with water in a haunted house, and my floor has some EVA scraps from the time I tried scratch building armor a few weeks ago, hopefully it's salvageable. I'll get a better picture once the mask is done with me in it. You really have the accessories on point with your son's build - that's one area that mine falls short in, not to mention my mom didn't have the right needle and foot for her sewing machine for this fabric.

Ha. That's fun, dude. Only works for Deadpool with that color combo!

Learning to sew in spandex was a headache. It took me a while to figure out the needle thing. One of the most frustrating things since starting costume building.

Another quick update.

We had an old airsoft gun that I figured would work for this. I know it's not the right kind, but I won't tell if you won't.

image.pnggun ref.JPG

We only had one, though, so I just bought another broken one off ebay and painted that up, too. A layer of black spray paint, then brushed on silver. A little light, so I may have to go back over it with some black to dirty it up.

Currently working on the holsters.

holster ref.JPGimage.jpegimage.png

I removed the internal weights from the guns so they'd be light and I could make the holsters out of foam instead of something more sturdy like plastic.

There are videos on YouTube showing how to spray paint the fake carbon fiber look, but I got some curves here that will be hard to work around. Any ideas that'll be quick to get the carbon fiber look on a surface like this? I don't think I'll be investing in vinyl wrap or anything.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I like how you 'converted' the airsoft pistols for cosplay :thumbsup although I wonder why you didn't make them black like in the screenshot ?

I like how you 'converted' the airsoft pistols for cosplay :thumbsup although I wonder why you didn't make them black like in the screenshot ?

I kept going back and forth seeing different shades in different shots. In the movie poster, they look black. In movie shots, they look gunmetal grey with chips showing a lighter silver. My silver is definitely too light, hands down, but I'm thinking a very dark grey, close to black, is what I should be making them.

gun ref 2.JPGgun ref 3.JPG

http://www.joann.com/cosplay-by-yaya-han-carbon-fiber-fabric-black/14749154.html
This fabric glued with super 77 would be perfect.. & Jo-Ann's always has coupons and discounts so it wouldnt be expensive

I totally forgot about that fabric. When I went before for Deadpool Fabric Day, I wanted that fabric for his gloves, but saw the $30/yard price tag and just used black. I went ahead and did it quickly with the kitchen mat method, but because I did a pretty rough job, I want to either repaint it, or use that fabric. It's really nice in person and I don't think I could beat that online price. I'm going to order some and redo this, or just use on a future project. Thanks, dude.

image.jpeg

Time to get those final pictures up.

image.jpegimage.png

image.png
I'm touching myself tonight.

image.jpeg
fouurrrr...

Finished the costume in the nick of time and the response was great. Half the people loved his Deadpool costume and half the people loved his... Spiderman costume. :p Can't win em all, I guess. One house had some young guys and they liked it so much, they told him to take a few handfuls of candy. He had a lot of fun.

I have a rule that you always need to wear the costume around before you actually show it off. I broke that rule. There were several wardrobe malfunctions, but none were too bad. After a few modifications, and maybe lengthening to make room for growth, I think we'll be taking it to FanX in March.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been keeping up with this build for a while and it's inspired me to make a Deadpool suit for my 4 year old for MegaCon next year.. I should start it in the next few weeks. Thanks for the ride man, the suit is awesome :)

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

Been keeping up with this build for a while and it's inspired me to make a Deadpool suit for my 4 year old for MegaCon next year.. I should start it in the next few weeks. Thanks for the ride man, the suit is awesome :)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I love little kid costumes. If you end up needing any patterns, I'll be posting mine up soon to maybe help eliminate some of the trial and error. Good luck!

I agree, seeing my kid look at himself in the mirror after I make him a mask or helmet is a new hobby of mine. I will definitely be using your thread as a how to manual and can't wait for the patterns you made to be posted. Thanks so much for everything you've done for people in this forum.

Icon,make sure to check Onekura.com for the Deadpool files that are on there,in particular a Deadpool 3D figure/.obj file that had many weapons and items you can then build out of foam to add to the costume.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back