The One-Stop Y-Wing Thread

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Y-Wing is coming into it's own! With the resurgence of interest in this venerable fighter it seemed only appropriate to combine links to the various Y-Wing projects and reference materials into one thread and sticky it for easy reference.

Please do not post individual builds here. Each build should have it's own thread, then is can be linked from this first post. Thanks!

Please send me links to threads I've missed.

Studio Scale Builds/Mods and Repaints:
DaveG's Open Source Y Wing Project - The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!
DaveG's "Green Leader" Y-Wing - Paint and Detailing - DaveG's "Green Leader" Y-Wing - Paint and Detailing
Online file repository for DaveG's Y Wing project - Y-Wing Fighter - Google Drive
MonsieurTox's Y Pattern Build - ............
Scott Graham's Build - Y Wing based on the Dave G open source project
DaveG's Molding and Casting Tutorials - Molding and Casting Kit Parts for the Y-Wing Project
Ollois Master Replica's Y-Wing Repaint - Master Replicas Y-Wing - Rebuild and Paint as Gold Leader
Guy Cowen's Niesen Y-Wing Kit Build - Y oh Y oh Y & its over!
Jkirkon's Galactic Resin T-Wing Kit Build - Bandai's Y-Wing - Clone Wars era
Avanut's Nice-N Kit Build - 1/24th Scale Y-Wing Fighter, a Red Jammer Custom
Hammer3246's Build - TIE Killer based on DaveG open source
Jason Eaton's Red Leader Build - http://www.makmodeler.com/?p=2909
Assembly instruction for Nice-N Models Y Kit - http://www.roboterkampf.com/roboterkampf/red_y-wing_instructions_rev5.pdf
MonsieurTox's Red Jammer Build - Y-Wing Red Jammer
Wingnit's 1/24 Scale Y Build - 1/24 Y-wing
Lazyeagle's styrene scratch build - Y-wing, Dave G and part scratch effort
Scott Peterson's "Grey 6" Y Wing Build - Grey 6: Studio Scale Y-Wing based off Dave G's Open Source Project
Kokkari's "TIE Killer" Y-Wing Build - "Tie Killer" Y-Wing Based on Dave G Open Source
Jaime M's "Grey 2" Build - GREY 2 (Too) Another DaveG Y-Wing
Boba Flint's MOM Y-Wing Build - MOM Y-Wing build' Gold 3 Finished!
Marc Carnet's Y Wing Build - My first Studio Scale Build! Green Leader Y-wing.
Studio Kitbash's "Reddish" Jammer Build - "Reddish Jammer" Y-Wing Build
Flyscriber's Gold Leader Build - Studio scale Gold Leader Y-wing build info and questions for all you wise folk.
Flyscriber's Master Replicas Y Repaint - Master replicas Y wing re-paint & Master Replicas Y-Wing - Rebuild and Paint as Gold Leader
Dtssyst's Red Jammer Build - Red Jammer Y-Wing Build by dtssyst (DaveG open source)

Non-Studio Scale Builds:
1/12 Scale Y-Wing Build - double-studio scale size Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)
FrightMaker's Bandai Y-Wing Kit Build - Y-Wing Final Build Images - Bandai Kit
Brandomack's Bandai Y-Wing Clone Wars Build - Bandai's Y-Wing - Clone Wars era
Korben44's Bandai Y-Wing Kit Build - 1/24th Scale Y-Wing Fighter, a Red Jammer Custom
TazMan2000's 1/16 Scale Y-Wing Build - Large scale Y-Wing

Reference Materials and Parts ID's:
The Y-Wing Identification Thread - Y-Wing Identification Thread
Master Part ID's and Maps thread - Y-Wing Parts Map for the "Green Leader" Project - open source
Y-Wing Parts ID Help - Y-Wing parts ID help
Y Wing Cockpit Info - ........................
Original Part ID Thread - Y-Wing Building
Red Jammer Parts Maps - Red Jammer Parts Maps
ID thread for the Dampers/Nose Cone Clips - 12 Parsec Detective Agency : putting the dampers on falcon's and Y's
Y-Wing Decals - Y-wing decals

Parts Runs, Kits & Misc:
Kit Parts Casting Run - Greeblie packs for studio scale models - and other random stuff
DaveG's Armature Run - Limited Run - Parts for Y-Wing Armature - 2nd RUN
DaveG's Cockpit Fuselage and L'Eggs Parts Run - Interest - Y-Wing Cockpit Fuselage and L'Eggs Cast Parts - RUN CLOSED
Parts Exchange - Part Cast Exchange for the Green Leader Project!
Gus76's brilliant 3D printed cockpit limited run - Limited Run - Cockpit for Green Leader Y-Wing
Digital Y-Wing in Rogue One - Digital Y-wing on Rogue One
Gold Leader 2017 Kit Alert - Gold Leader 2017 kit alert (and instructions)
Nacelle Clips Parts Run - Limited Run - Y-Wing Nacelle Clips (5' Falcon too!) - RUN CLOSED
PDF Instructions for Nicen's Gold Leader Kit - gold_y-wing_instructions_rev1.pdf
BowmanArts' 3D printed parts on Shapeways - Y-Wing parts on shapeways
Studio Kitbash's Parts Runs - Limited Run - LTD RUN: Studio Scale Y-Wing Nurnies, Limited to 30 Sets

Last edited:
Many thanks DaveG for compiling all this information into one thread. The Y-Wing has been under-represented for so long and it's refreshing to see so much great information now.

To everyone else can we please keep all posts informative rather than asking general questions. This will prevent this thread from becoming clogged with useless banter.

Thank you, Dave, for pooling the information into a one-stop-all-there post, and also for including my build! :thumbsup

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=35

This is the remains of the original thread, it provided me with an incredible amount of information. And since there's few pictures it made me hunt and search for myself to confirm or deny any kits mentioned within it. Definitely a great starting point and base for learning the research and time that went into finding all the info available now. I was only just beginning grade school when the remains of that thread were transferred here from the old site!!!

Thanks 'Dog. I've been in Orlando all week, I'll add it to the list when I get back.

Last edited:
I have a question about the studio miniatures used in ANH. I know we've all heard the story about the engine cones being made out of L'eggs plastic egg containers. I actually remember those eggs and they were fairly good size.
hqdefault.jpg

By my estimation that would put the filming miniatures at a larger size than I've ever seen any pictures of. What's the deal with that?

I have a question about the studio miniatures used in ANH. I know we've all heard the story about the engine cones being made out of L'eggs plastic egg containers. I actually remember those eggs and they were fairly good size.
View attachment 973657
By my estimation that would put the filming miniatures at a larger size than I've ever seen any pictures of. What's the deal with that?

They trimmed them back a good bit. I think the dimms are in this thread somewhere .

Would love those dimms.
The closest I can find is 10 to 15 mm cut off.
Not sure what is correct.

Last edited:
I know I’ve seen the measurements somewhere. I just went through Dave G’s thread and didn’t find them. When I have time later this week I’ll look in a few other places and see if I can dig them up.

Edited to add:
Don’t know why it didn’t occur to me to just measure my Nice-n Gold Leader....must have had a blonde moment.
1 5/8” from the tip of the dome to where it mates with the Saturn can.
I imagine DaveG’s patterns would be pretty close to the same .

Last edited:
What is the consensus on the color ? I do not have access to an air sprayer, what would be the closest rattle can color I could get ?
There really is no one base color either with Y-wings. You could start with a light grey base coat and go lighter, or a off-white base coat and go darker...

Just my .02:
- do an off-white on the front fusalage, eggs, and engine modules, weather them darker.
- go light to medium grey on the "guts" and dry brush lighter.

That was my approach, although I used an airbrush.

There really is no one base color either with Y-wings. You could start with a light grey base coat and go lighter, or a off-white base coat and go darker...

Just my .02:
- do an off-white on the front fusalage, eggs, and engine modules, weather them darker.
- go light to medium grey on the "guts" and dry brush lighter.

That was my approach, although I used an airbrush.
I have just moved into a new house and I have set up a workbench in the 3rd garage. I think I am going to have to break down and get an airbrush setup but I love the color that the as-20 provides so I may just do some test painting on other stuff I have laying around. Thanks or the input.

I have just moved into a new house and I have set up a workbench in the 3rd garage. I think I am going to have to break down and get an airbrush setup but I love the color that the as-20 provides so I may just do some test painting on other stuff I have laying around. Thanks or the input.
AS-20 is a good off-white starting color IMHO. I used it on my Bandai Perfect Grade Falcon and did a lot of heavy weathering.

YES on airbrush. Once you go airbrush you never go back!

Good morning everyone,
I'm a new member as of yesterday and I will soon be starting a Nice-N Y Wing soon and was wondering what the exact length of the 1/4" Plastruct Tee's are, they come in 24" lengths. I can't seem to find this bit of info anywhere, can anyone help with this info?

13" to 13 1/4" depending on who you talk to. So unfortunately you'll need 8 lengths and have a lot of left over scrap!

13" to 13 1/4" depending on who you talk to. So unfortunately you'll need 8 lengths and have a lot of left over scrap!
Thanks Dave,
I'm loving this forum already. I will no doubt be asking for more help from the experts here with my build. I'm an
old school model builder and have just recently got into resin kits and really enjoying them and all of the lighting tech that's available for just about anything a person can dream up.
Thanks again for your help
I really appreciate it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back