The suitcase from Fantastic Beasts and how to recognize it

I'm extremely interested in that lock you made. Has anyone to date recreated a working model on etsy or even 3D printed? Very much would like one.

After a long break I am finally back working on my suitcase. The further I get the more I realize I broke off a little more then I could chew and appreciate ATL Kenobi's skill on this project. The handle is the last major part to fabricate and then its just a matter of putting all the hardware on the final product. I will not be worrying about the Muggle Worthy device ... yet. I figured now with the coat and wand I can't put this off any longer.
_DSC27271.JPG_DSC27281.JPG_DSC27301.JPG

Hey there!
I started working on my case yesterday, and here's where I am so far (the bodywork itself is done, all it need now is the hardware, paintjob and the interior)
2ce5148f96d5cfaee24ffb51488d704d.jpg

Despite what you said in your, frankly rather confusing PM, I fully intend on using whichever materials I like for the inside of the case, even if I'm not following the same, "orthodox" method that you have for this prop. Why you might suggest I don't need cloth, I have no idea.

Either way, I look forward to completing this build (and I think I have an idea for the Muggle Worthy mechanism ;) )

I put hours and hours and hundreds of dollars into replicating the actual prop. Getting the file was an inspiration for others to do the same.

With child-like messages like this:

"Well, there is no need to worry now, as I have found another site with a pattern just as accurate as your own, that provides it to anyone without imposing a ridiculous checklist of what qualifies for a "suitable" build that deserves the "honour" of using your files."

I've decide to leave this forum.

Bye,

Mike

We're all adults here, there's no need for anyone to leave the forum over a simple disagreement.

Your build has inspired me, and I have built my own replica suitcase, so I really don’t see what the issue is. Using cardboard doesn’t make mine any less of a replica than yours, in fact you said yourself many of the filming props were made from cardboard.

That said, I'm not too proud to admit my mistakes, so granted, my message may have been rash and even child-like, but it was in reaction to me being told that "if you don't need leather, you don't need cloth [ie. the pattern for the lining]", which I found rather rude. I don't deny that that you spent many hours replicating the suitcase (and it shows in the results, it really does) but to disregard someone else's build just because they don't have the hundreds of dollars that you poured into your own build? That's not what this forum is about. I have a limited budget for building props, but I don't let that deter me from my passion; I build things using whatever materials and methods are available to me on as low a budget as possible, I just don't appreciate when others appear to be looking down on me just because their replicas have a much higher budget. I will hold my hands up and say that it's your pattern, and that you are more than free to distribute it as and when you please, but to be told that I can't use it simply because I'm working to a lower budget and can't afford leather for my case, I found rather upsetting, hence my heated, rash and child-like reply.

I hope that we can sort this and put it down to a simple miscommunication. Your builds are a pleasure to watch, and I hate to see someone who feels the need to leave the forum over a little disagreement.

Last edited:
Bye,

Mike

You've been here since 2006. I'd stick around. Someone asked me to give them my STL files for printing the "Hamunaptra Key" from the Mummy (for free). When my build thread goes back a couple YEARS....;)

There will always be people wanting to do the shortcut thing and not have to do the hard work. If the answer is no, I simply say no and move on. And I don't worry if they get mad about being told no.

There will always be people wanting to do the shortcut thing and not have to do the hard work. If the answer is no, I simply say no and move on. And I don't worry if they get mad about being told no.
While I agree with your first point, and stand by what I said earlier about wanting nobody leaving the forum, this is where I have to disagree. I'm not here looking for a "shortcut". I'm a graphic designer, a 3D modeller and a prop builder. I've been at this game for over 3 years now. When I'm working on something, I try to find what I can as I don't see any sense in reinventing the wheel. If I cannot find something I need, I create the graphic/3D model/whatever myself. I'm more than happy to put in as much hard work as it takes for me to complete a project, and I'm certainly not one of these who expects everyone else to put in the work for them and still get the results.

My portfolio (which I'd be more than happy to share with anyone who doubts my credibility) includes paper props, labels, screen graphics, 3D models and even work done for other people, most of which is provided to anyone who has a use for my work.

My problem is not with the fact ATL said no, like I said, it's his file to do with as he wishes, it's his reasoning I didn't like - implying that I cannot use the patterns simply because my build is lower budget and doesn’t use the same materials.

Last edited:
My problem is not with the fact ATL said no, like I said, it's his file to do with as he wishes, it's his reasoning I didn't like - implying that I cannot have the patterns simply because my build is low budget.

1. I will not attack you, as I generally respect you, and like your budget build.
2. I will not try and make you accept his answer.

You are saying that his answer is foreign to you, so I will take a brief moment to explain his answer, again...not to make you accept, but to better understand his answer as understanding is almost never a bad thing.

Many of the most successful people on this board owe their success to trying to get as close to 100% accurate as possible to a prop replica. Accuracy includes the material it is made of. For instance, a Jumanji board made of wood is more desirable and accurate than one made of plastic.

You were using the term, low budget, whereas ATL was describing (however successfully, or unsuccessfully) accuracy.

That does not mean your build is invalid, when he said your build is not leather, it does mean that your build is less accurate.

He did not want to give up an accurate cloth pattern to a project that had low accuracy by virtue of not being made of leather.

Low budget and accuracy have something to do with each other, but realistically have different meanings.

Again, understanding his response does not mean the same thing as accepting his response. I am simply shooting for understanding.

No hard feelings to either party.

I would like to once again take the opportunity to thank ATL for posting this build. It inspired me to take it on and after working on it for over 10 months have come to the conclusion I have a lot to learn about suitcase manufacturing. While I hope to one day revisit the hardware aspects (handle and clasps) I am happy with my first attempt and doubt I will revisit the whole build. Thanks for the fabric files and detailing the process so well. After Halloween I hope to edit a time lapse of the build.
22489998_1830200993938354_6276596972648299711_n.jpg22448654_1830200997271687_4360724964886183578_n.jpg22490220_1830201000605020_7880282957743222955_n.jpg

For those still interested in doing this build, here is a time lapse showing my process. Again it is thanks to ATL Kenobi that I got this far. There are definitely a lot of challenges with this build and I will be following up with a more in-depth tutorial to highlight challenges and change I would make.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mittens. So far antique or new leather mittens have eluded me:$ I've looked far and wide. I ended up getting some regular vintage gloves. Keep looking, you'll probably just have to check all the usual sites until something comes up. Alternatively, you might be able to make them. I imagine mittens would be 10x easier to sew/reproduce than regular gloves.

Thank you sir! Now that I know that I do think I'll be making a pair myself.

Looks like there is a small button flap at the cuff as well.

like a glove.png
Mittens. So far antique or new leather mittens have eluded me:$ I've looked far and wide. I ended up getting some regular vintage gloves. Keep looking, you'll probably just have to check all the usual sites until something comes up. Alternatively, you might be able to make them. I imagine mittens would be 10x easier to sew/reproduce than regular gloves.

After messing around for a while, I finally finished a case for my kids. Modified from a genuine leather ‘port’ it’s a mini kids sized version of the case. Hope you like it. In my mind i figures my kids might want a case when they dress up as newt for their next party. Plus they need a place to put their fluffy magical creatures (scabbers, norbert, mrs norris etc) :) and with 4 more fantastic beasts movies, I’m sure they’ll add a niffler or bowtruckle soon enough.

- - - Updated - - -

B09F4BA0-14CD-4EBF-93AF-AA25F37EC7E5.jpeg5AE12EC0-5FE1-4DD8-9A4C-97C08461ECB5.jpeg4BC2C749-ADD0-4A21-BE7A-5AC2DA848A9B.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

BF82E5C7-6351-4005-A475-91AE3689CB6E.jpeg0D38EC67-943E-4A58-B8FF-79171F52A6C0.jpeg4FC4062D-0B14-436F-8D0F-311B8341E77A.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Don’t know why the pics are upside down. Anyone?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back