Jakks Pacific BB-8 Big Fig repaint!

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey folks, picked up the Jakks Pacific Big Fig BB-8 and just wanted to show what I did to get it looking a little better than it came.

To start, here is how it looks stock.
image.jpeg

I ever so slightly tone shifted the base white to a more grungy "cream" color. I then went in by hand and added a few different shades of brown to give it the weathered effect. I may go in and do some more weathering with my airbrush, but I've not quite decided. I have a tendency to over weather my pieces and I tried my best to keep it subtle on this go...

So without further ado, my repainted BB-8. :)

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

If you picked one up and want to share your modifications, feel free! The thread is open to all. :)

Last edited:
I'm doing the same thing! Still a work in progress. I love this thing, he is definitely the BB-8 I have been waiting for.

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 1.21.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-15 at 1.21.33 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 1.19.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 1.19.28 PM.png
    485.8 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Wow! looks like the real thing.
How are your doing yours? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot! There are a few things that I did to make it look more film accurate. The obvious being good photo filters. Aside from that, there are many small details on the film used BB-8 that are missing on the toy version. (see labeled photo for reference)

1. I painted in the second bar under this light with black acrylic paint
2. This piece actually lights up blue on the real BB-8 and has a silver lining, so I just painted it blue and silver with acrylics using a toothpick.
3. The eyes on the figure are one color of black, so I went in and detailed the lids to be dark gray.
4. With a toothpick, I added in a black line under the silver bar that wraps all the way around his head, the film BB actually has it above this line too, but I am still debating on whether i should risk it for this small detail.

Aside from those details, I did a wash using multiple browns to get the weathered effect. Basically, you make sure your paintbrush is good and wet and also add a little water to your paints to thin them down, then you go in and sloppily and sporadically cover the places you want dirty. Using a damp cloth or paper towel you then remove most of the paint, and let it sit inside the cracks and creases, as seen in number 5. When the wash got a little too much I went back in with non-acetone nail polish remover to remove some paint and sharpen the dirt rings around the orange circles.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll try and take more photos of the process as I continue.
BB.jpg bb2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very nice venom99x

I've still yet to go in and do the finishing work with my airbrush.. Hopefully I'll have those shots up sometime soon.

What photo filters are you using? Instagram?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to say thanks for posting this as i was able to get the electronic r2 d2. lights up, whistles, head turns, and rocks side to side, it was delivered to the house cheaper than what walmart was selling non electronic ones , i had thought about repainting it to represent another astromech, but for now he will stay r2

Looks very nice @venom99x

I've still yet to go in and do the finishing work with my airbrush.. Hopefully I'll have those shots up sometime soon.

What photo filters are you using? Instagram?

Thanks a lot! I can't wait to see your airbrush work!

Yeah, Instagram, nothing too crazy, just helping it out with contrast and things like that.

I did a black wash, then acrylic paint for the weathering; followed by a coat of satin clear and minor wet sanding. Here's my daughter with her BB-8 pumpkin. As you'd expect, she's going to be BB-8 this year for Halloween! :)

WP_20161005_18_06_21_Pro (2).jpg

I keep forgetting about this thread.
I went and weathered mine even more.. though the subtle look is what I think is closer to film accurate.. I'll hopefully get photos up soon.

Glad you folks are keeping it alive, there is some very nice work in here!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back