Star Trek Beyond - Kirk's Mug

snouty

Of course being a replica prop addict the first thing I got excited about when I saw Star Trek Beyond was Kirk's coffee mug in the beginning. It's not official merch and there's a good reason for that. I did a little research and it turns out Carl Urban says this was not a prop made for the film but one that Chris Pine bought for his personal use and used in the film.

It seems to be an IKEA Värdera mug with a custom heat transfer on the side. I am going to try to make one using Sharpie oil based paint pens and baking it in an oven. Apparently according to the crafting site I surfed, you do the design with the pens, then bake it for 30 mins at 350ºF / 175ºC / Gas Mark 4 / Moderate oven. According to my research this makes them even dishwasher safe. It remains to be seen whether this will craze the glaze, but my gut tells me ceramics are fired at MUCH higher tempteratures than that so it should be fine.

The reason for the DIY "home baked" approach rather than using a heat press is that the mug is conical and heat press mugs need to be parallel. Plus you know heat presses are expensive. I traced the logo from the shot and corrected the tilt a little.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know how I get on. :D

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 11.37.44.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-29 at 12.41.04.pngStar Trek Beyond Mug Logo.png

Last edited:
Aren't there places that can put a photo or other logo onto a coffee cup for a nominal fee? I'm not sure if a conically curved cup is an issue to them, but this logo can be separated into 3 flat pieces.

TazMan2000

Thank you for posting. I picked up a set at my local IKEA. They guy at the IKEA knew exactly where to get them and said they have been selling better recently, but he did not know why. How did baking on the sharpies work out?

Bobby

Jintosh
Thanks for the listing.

About $30 total for the order, due to shipping. Still cheaper than the gas I'd use to drive to the nearest IKEA.

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated, they're on eBay. But they ship from UK.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I did not see any glass ware products on the Ikea page that could be shipped directly from Ikea. The UK price is not that bad considering they are doing international shipping with tracking. I did see singles as well today for about $10.00.

Bobby

Sorry, I should have clarified that I did not see any glass ware products on the Ikea page that could be shipped directly from Ikea. The UK price is not that bad considering they are doing international shipping with tracking. I did see singles as well today for about $10.00.

Bobby

It's fine. It's the only option for anyone without a local IKEA. I do find it very funny that I have to order from the UK, something that is literally within my own state.

I will probably split costs on a set of 4 with a local I know who is a Trek fan.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back