Director Krennic Costume Build

huxcapacitor

Hello! I am starting work on a Director Krennic costume for Dragon*Con (luckily, I work very fast haha) and I'm trying to do the very best job that I can, so I thought I would post updates here so that I can (hopefully) get some tips from all of the seasoned pros here. This is actually Mark II, since I already did a passable version of this costume, but now that we know the fabrics etc. I want to try and get it as close to screen accurate as is possible by D*C. This thread will probably be photo-heavy, as I tend to research quite thoroughly.

I've broken it down into 8 parts:

-Tunic
-Jodhpurs
-Cape
-Belt
-Boots/Gloves
-Rank Plaque
-Code Cylinders
-Blaster/Holster

Tunic:

Following other people's example (I've been stalking all the threads on making things 501st compliant), I've bought the McCall's M4745 Civil War pattern. The first version of this uniform that I did, I completely freehanded, and it came out all right, but I'd like to properly line this costume, so I figure it's a good idea to stick to a pattern. According to the plaque by the costume display at the Star Wars celebration, the tunic is made from "overwashed white wool twill" which has been extremely difficult to find online. I've bought a fabric sample from moodfabrics, but it's 'ivory' and not pure white, and I don't know if I think it's good enough. If anyone else knows of any white wool twill out there, it would be really helpful, because I'd rather not make it out of this unless I have to. Sample:
13535874_10157122715080581_1449784786_n.jpg
Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. If I can't find wool twill, I'll probably switch to cotton or polyester. I feel like the texture of the fabric is more important than the fiber.

Jodhpurs:
The jodhpurs are labelled as black wool twill, and I found a pretty good fabric for them on moodfabrics. It's an ordinary looking black, and stretchy in one direction, which is pretty cool. I'll be drafting the pattern for them myself, since it's a pretty simple one to do. I don't expect this part will be very difficult, as I've already done (and redone) it (for Hux and for Krennic Mark I)

Cape:
The cape is listed as being a lightweight cotton, and I've got a few different fabrics I'm looking at for that. I want to make sure it matches whatever twill I end up with, so I'm holding off on buying anything until I have the twill in hand. I've noticed the cape has an interesting pattern to it. I've drawn up a very vague idea of what the seams of the cape look like. They're all flat felled seams, I think, except around the front, and it looks like there might be some kind of hand opening or pockets (my money is on hand opening) sewn into the sides of the cape.
13835710_10157219392595581_298646918_o.jpg
This is another one where I'll be drafting the pattern myself, but I don't expect it will be too difficult. The hand openings (although they look like they're sewn shut) will probably be the hardest part, but it looks like it's essentially an oversized buttonhole, so I think I can do it.

Belt:
I'm looking at this belt buckle, and will probably go with it, since I noticed it meets all the 501st standards. I'm not even making this costume with the intention of trying to join the 501st, I just want it to be perfect, haha. I've never made a proper leather belt before, and I'm not totally sure how, but I'm sure there are some tutorials around? Does anyone have any advice?

Boots & Gloves:
I'm not sure exactly what boots or gloves I'll need, but I'm sure I'll be able to find some on ebay or amazon that will work, I'm just focusing on.. harder things at the moment. If anyone has any specific suggestions, they'd be welcome of course.

Rank Plaque:
After a lot of research, I've decided to make my rank plaque myself, instead of buying one. I've ordered these switch covers, and I'll go to a hobby/hardware store for the aluminum once I have them, but putting the whole thing together will be a bit of a mystery to me. I remember there was a thread somewhere on here about how to do that, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Code Cylinders:
I found some really good code cylinders on etsy, but I've noticed that the clips on them are brass, rather than silver. It's probably fine, but it kind of bothers me, and I was wondering what you guys thought about them. Here's a photo comparison:
Untitled-3.jpg

Blaster/Holster:

I know there's a whole thread on what airsoft to mod for his gun, but I drew up a quick design based on what we got to see at the star wars celebration and what we've seen in the trailers/art so far and it came out looking like this (the black parts are things I'm certain about, the red parts are things I'm guessing on because they were hidden by his holster at the celebration):
tumblr_oavw2zc9va1qaaba7o1_1280.jpg
To me, it honestly looks a lot like one of the DH17 toys would be a good base? I'm not an very knowledgeable in this, my guns are usually made out of cardboard or foam, so this is all very new to me. Any ideas?

-

Anyway, so far that's my breakdown. I'll post updates as I go. I have a ton of reference photos from the SW Celebration and I'm trying really really hard to make this as accurate as possible. Advice would be welcome and wonderful!

Last edited:
I can't wait to see this. Thus far, he is one of the most visually appealing characters I have ever seen. Oozes charisma without yet saying a word.

Wonderful! I´m also planning to do Director Orson Krennic... espacially for the Rogue One Premiere here in Germany.

To speak about the Code Cylinder on Etsy. I contacted the seller (from Italy) and he´s doing them also with the silver clip. I´m waiting for them to be delivered within the next 3 weeks.

For the blaster... I´m waiting for a delivery of two really cheap MP40 softair guns. They have the same curved end like the screenused one. The rest looks like "greeblies" and plates to create the outer-shell. I´ll try to create these with hardfoam plates. Let´s hope we will see the screenused blaster soon in all it´s glory. ;)

Here is a pic someone posted in another thread. Hope it´s okay to post it here:
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
To speak about the Code Cylinder on Etsy. I contacted the seller (from Italy) and he´s doing them also with the silver clip. I´m waiting for them to be delivered within the next 3 weeks.

That's so good!! I'm going to email him right now omg, what a relief. Thank you, I was panicking a little bit hahaha.

As far as the gun goes.. I'm still not sure about the airsoft. A friend of mine got some closeup photos of the gun for me at the Celebration, which is where I got my design. Here's the best of them:
DSC_0403.JPG
I'm still not sure, it still looks to me like the DH 17 might be a good place for me to start with this. Alternatively, 3D printing is always an option, and I already have a very rough draft of one made from foam, which I made just to have something in my holster for a shoot a few weeks ago, so it'll probably come down to how much time I have before the con and what I think I can manage. :)

That's so good!! I'm going to email him right now omg, what a relief. Thank you, I was panicking a little bit hahaha.

As far as the gun goes.. I'm still not sure about the airsoft. A friend of mine got some closeup photos of the gun for me at the Celebration, which is where I got my design. Here's the best of them:
View attachment 648843
I'm still not sure, it still looks to me like the DH 17 might be a good place for me to start with this. Alternatively, 3D printing is always an option, and I already have a very rough draft of one made from foam, which I made just to have something in my holster for a shoot a few weeks ago, so it'll probably come down to how much time I have before the con and what I think I can manage. :)

You are welcome! I will follow your progress. ;)

Wish I could handle a sewing machine, so I wouldn´t have to wait, until someone does a very good version of the softparts. All I´ve seen online looks... hmmm very cheap.

Any updates on your work? :)

I recieved my code cylinders and still work on the blaster: https://www.facebook.com/Lexis-Not-Lewis-Props-Costumes-1030679493692016/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

I got my code cylinders too! And my belt buckle. They're perfect omg.

tumblr_obr9n5GRni1qaaba7o2_1280.jpgtumblr_obr9n5GRni1qaaba7o1_1280.jpg

fabric is still on order, plaque materials are also still on order (they sent them to the wrong address x_x) I've done my first hair/makeup tests haha but otherwise... I have to wait for materials to get here before I can make more progress. I love what you've been doing with his gun, I'm probably going to take a lot of inspiration from that, to be totally honest. c:

I'd suggest getting white Gaberdine(/gabardine) fabric for the tunic - it's what's generally suggested as the most accurate fabric. If you're making the jodhpurs, get some black also. I'm currently constructing my Imperial Security Bureau costume out of that pattern with white gaberdine which I'll have to dye a light cream.

Also! Since you're interested in making this to 501st standards, have you seen the CRL Discussion thread on the Imperial Officer Corps forums? There are some good threads there also if you search 'Krennic' or 'Mendelsohn'.

Looking forwards to seeing this turn out - I'm thinking about doing a Krennic myself at some point just for that cape.

I got my code cylinders too! And my belt buckle. They're perfect omg.

View attachment 655332View attachment 655333

fabric is still on order, plaque materials are also still on order (they sent them to the wrong address x_x) I've done my first hair/makeup tests haha but otherwise... I have to wait for materials to get here before I can make more progress. I love what you've been doing with his gun, I'm probably going to take a lot of inspiration from that, to be totally honest. c:

Where did you get your belt buckle?

Mark

I'd suggest getting white Gaberdine(/gabardine) fabric for the tunic - it's what's generally suggested as the most accurate fabric. If you're making the jodhpurs, get some black also. I'm currently constructing my Imperial Security Bureau costume out of that pattern with white gaberdine which I'll have to dye a light cream.

Also! Since you're interested in making this to 501st standards, have you seen the CRL Discussion thread on the Imperial Officer Corps forums? There are some good threads there also if you search 'Krennic' or 'Mendelsohn'.

Looking forwards to seeing this turn out - I'm thinking about doing a Krennic myself at some point just for that cape.

I ended up getting a garbadine, yes, not the twill that I initially wanted. They sold out and I didn't have time to wait for a restock, although I wasn't sure about the colour so I'm actually alright with that. Technically the uniform is finished, but I want to redo the collar and some of the hand-sewing before I post pictures, because it's not quite perfect yet and apparently that's a thing that really matters to me.

I have been keeping away from the CRL discussion thread until it's finished, because I didn't want to stress myself out with a bunch of details that weren't set in stone (last time I checked in, someone was saying his rank plaque looked a few centimeters smaller than is typical, and I had just finished mine at the regular measurements, so I had to leave before I started panicking :p) but once the CRL is finished I look at it to see how far off I am. I'm not in the 501st and I'm not sure I'm really good enough to be, so it's mostly just a resource I've been using. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, I said I wouldn't post any pictures until I'd fixed the collar and the hem and added the hand-holes on the cape but.. just to show off a little bit, here's what I'm working with right now. I also made that mon mothma costume in the picture :) it was cool to run into a Jyn, we thought we'd be the only Rogue One people there :)

14211974_1267486769936628_5047687124753076933_n.jpg

I know it's not exactly a good picture of the costume, but it shows how the fabric ended up looking (and how I made up for not having finished my gun in time by carrying some of those disney-made binders haha)

Can anyone confirm the colour of tunic and cape? Alot of the pics look light grey. Did anyone see the actual costume when it was displayed?

there are lots of galleries around of it in the celebration, but I have a few pictures a friend took for me. there's also the plaque next to it, which seems to indicate it's white fabric that's been dyed just a little bit.

tumblr_oacx6v6QyO1qbr00oo2_1280.jpgtumblr_inline_oaixt0Bb1C1qatmox_500.jpg

then again there have been some pretty great photos of Ben Mendelsohn at the celebration though, and it looks really white in those pictures. I'm not sure if it's official yet, but I've seen a lot of pictures of a potential action figure too, and it looks very white in all of those pictures too.

Krennic-and-Shoretrooper-Black-Series-800x500_c.jpgtumblr_inline_oaoiquM9yN1sypkn8_1280.jpgtumblr_inline_oaftgiOdZx1qzs5cd_500.gif3650A3DB00000578-3692620-image-m-142_1468613986057.jpg

this picture is especially good, it's enormous (sorry in advance)

star-wars-rogue-one-costumes-orson-krennic-1.jpg

I want to point out that he has darts on his hips, which is unusual for officer uniforms. I haven't put those in mine yet, because I'm in the process of losing a considerable amount of weight, and I don't want to have to redo it later.

Can you identify the code cylinders as having the blue top and silver clip?

they definitely have silver clips. I already posted the picture from entertainment weekly earlier in the thread, but you can see them in this picture too (as well as in all of the pictures from the celebration)
star-wars-story-new-photo-of-villain-revealed_k8qa.png
it looks to me like they're blue in that picture, and in the entertainment weekly ones, although perhaps a bit flatter on top than standard officer cylinders? Regardless, the ones I ordered from PhiloProps (link in my first post) look super super good imo, I'm very happy with them. :)

Attachments

• rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-new-photo-of-villain-revealed_k8qa.png
    rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-new-photo-of-villain-revealed_k8qa.png
    801.7 KB · Views: 199
Not sure if it's just compression difference between the pics, but the space between the rank tiles looks markedly different between the screen pic vs the pic from celebration.

Trying to see the space difference. Most from the OT had about 1/4" between the tiles. These look more like 1/8". The pics I was comparing seemed to look different between the celebration suit vs the screen image.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back