Kylo Ren Xcoser V3

Zorandar

Hello everyone,

I am on the verge of ordering a V3 Kylo Ren costume from Xcoser. But before I do so, I wanted to hear some opinions on it.
Now, it's mostly for fun, and the V3 seems to look pretty great at that price.

Anyway, here we go:

1) Their table is a bit ambiguous on height measurement. Are they talking full height? E.g. from the bottom of one's feet to the top of their head. The line hovers near the ankles, so I just need to be sure. A noob question I know, but my height makes me hover in between two sizes XXL/XL.
- Sub: Do you recommend custom? I haven't cross referenced all my measurements yet, but I am afraid that my height puts me in XXL and that it will be baggy as hell.
2) What kind of leeway or buffer should I get in terms of measurements? 1/2 cm? (especially since I am working out a lot more since recently).
3) The hood? I have seen various photos of the costume. Sometimes the hoods looks really narrow, while in others it seems pretty close to the actual deal. Was this something that changed during the various iterations or perhaps tampering with the sizes a bit..? I really like the way it's draped in the actual movie. Ideally I wouldn't want to toss the hood/scarf and get the Infinite one..
4) Would you recommend the neck seal/boots that are up for purchase separately?

Thanks a ton in advance!

Hello everyone,

I am on the verge of ordering a V3 Kylo Ren costume from Xcoser. But before I do so, I wanted to hear some opinions on it.
Now, it's mostly for fun, and the V3 seems to look pretty great at that price.

Anyway, here we go:

1) Their table is a bit ambiguous on height measurement. Are they talking full height? E.g. from the bottom of one's feet to the top of their head. The line hovers near the ankles, so I just need to be sure. A noob question I know, but my height makes me hover in between two sizes XXL/XL.
- Sub: Do you recommend custom? I haven't cross referenced all my measurements yet, but I am afraid that my height puts me in XXL and that it will be baggy as hell.
2) What kind of leeway or buffer should I get in terms of measurements? 1/2 cm? (especially since I am working out a lot more since recently).
3) The hood? I have seen various photos of the costume. Sometimes the hoods looks really narrow, while in others it seems pretty close to the actual deal. Was this something that changed during the various iterations or perhaps tampering with the sizes a bit..? I really like the way it's draped in the actual movie. Ideally I wouldn't want to toss the hood/scarf and get the Infinite one..
4) Would you recommend the neck seal/boots that are up for purchase separately?

Thanks a ton in advance!

1) That'll be floor to top of your head. Definitely go with custom measurements, I did and they were bang on. Add another 3" (7.5cm) to your sleeve length to make sure they're up to the bottom of the "V" at your thumb and index finger. If they're too long when you get it that's much easier to fix than too short.

2) 0.5cm- 1cm would be safe to add on there. As I said before, always easier to take clothing in than add.

3) The hood has been big enough since V2 so no worries there. The scarf is definitely long enough to make accurate now with V3. If you do decide to go a different route I'd buy yours off of you.
This is a pattern on how the scarf should be cut and wrapped: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_5DIHpXGhnsWXd2cEVrOGVHeTg/view?usp=sharing

4) I made my own neck seal from SMP's template and have no experience with their boots.

The XCoser website lists about three different version so how do you know which is the correct one?

Their site almost put me off from ordering there. Lots of bugs, but their price structure etc. was also a bit of a mess. There's a deluxe version which is more expensive but seems worse than their newest V3 rendition, which is also cheaper than the supposed deluxe.
For reference, I ordered this one:
http://www.xcoser.com/kylo-ren-cost...me-with-gloves-belt-the-force-awakens-cosplay

1) That'll be floor to top of your head. Definitely go with custom measurements, I did and they were bang on. Add another 3" (7.5cm) to your sleeve length to make sure they're up to the bottom of the "V" at your thumb and index finger. If they're too long when you get it that's much easier to fix than too short.

2) 0.5cm- 1cm would be safe to add on there. As I said before, always easier to take clothing in than add.

3) The hood has been big enough since V2 so no worries there. The scarf is definitely long enough to make accurate now with V3. If you do decide to go a different route I'd buy yours off of you.
This is a pattern on how the scarf should be cut and wrapped: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_5DIHpXGhnsWXd2cEVrOGVHeTg/view?usp=sharing

4) I made my own neck seal from SMP's template and have no experience with their boots.

Thanks so much dude! I tacked on 1cm for the chest and shoulders just to be safe. I thought that hips and waist were fine as I measured it because (hopefully) I will be toning that down a lot anyway now. I measured the sleeves at 81cm and upped to 86cm just to be sure.

Their boots were a bit pricy but I couldn't resist with the free shipping that they have going on right now.

Now to find a black series helmet.. which is a damn crime here in the Netherlands (if the price isn't ludicrous).

Hi! I know this thread is a bit old but how did your costume turn out? I'm looking at buying a v3 costume as well and am looking at all the same things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I finally received my XCoser v3 after major hunt for the first package that never arrived and finally a second package direct shipped from China that finally arrived. Unfortunately the so called V3 still had a collar on it so surgery is required. I figure the combination of XCoser and Costumebase I am going to use both.

Well I finally received my XCoser v3 after major hunt for the first package that never arrived and finally a second package direct shipped from China that finally arrived. Unfortunately the so called V3 still had a collar on it so surgery is required. I figure the combination of XCoser and Costumebase I am going to use both.

Thanks for the reply. Other than the mixup and the collar, does it seem like xcoser did a pretty good job on the costume? I see why people get confused by their site, it's kind of a mess. I'm not sure if I should buy the "custom" costume for $189 AND the mid coat, or I can just get by w/o the mid oat for right now.

I'm actually looking to use it as a costume for myself, along with a black series helmet. I have a TK already, but it gets hot and mobility is not very good. I was thinking I could wear this at cons or whatnot where I didn't need to have my TK. Also places where I wouldn't want to lug my TK (office Halloween party, etc lol)

Well going on the recommendations I went ahead and placed an order for the v3 through xcoser. Put in the notes not to have a seam in the hood. I also messaged Lilly from xcoser on Facebook to confirm they got the order and the note about the seam. She messaged me back and said they stopped doing special instructions a month ago due to the busy season ramping up, so there would be a seam. After talking to her she said she would would put in the notes to do it for me anyway, but no guarantees. If it has a seam will it look completely wrong and off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well going on the recommendations I went ahead and placed an order for the v3 through xcoser. Put in the notes not to have a seam in the hood. I also messaged Lilly from xcoser on Facebook to confirm they got the order and the note about the seam. She messaged me back and said they stopped doing special instructions a month ago due to the busy season ramping up, so there would be a seam. After talking to her she said she would would put in the notes to do it for me anyway, but no guarantees. If it has a seam will it look completely wrong and off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let us know when you get it! I am thinking of getting one for Halloween.

Let us know when you get it! I am thinking of getting one for Halloween.

Ok! Well first to answer your question from the other thread it took a week from placing the order to delivery!

Taking others' suggestions I went with custom measurements, and tacked on a little extra just in case.

When I got it I was amazed at honestly how nice it is, heavy material with good stitching. The only problem I had was that the outer tunic was pretty long, but that's mostly because I added way too much to the measurement.

I got it this past Monday and had it hemmed today. Here are some pics, don't mind the background lol overall I'm REALLY pleased

31459522-3D6A-4E5C-B9EA-38DF2B18F8CB.jpg

15877172-BF0E-4B39-97BC-0F3BCA835011.jpg

D46BF3EE-184D-4BF5-A187-DD126AA80FE3.jpg

BEC83879-BFC6-4AFA-BB9E-92243D8A008A.jpg

Ok! Well first to answer your question from the other thread it took a week from placing the order to delivery!

Taking others' suggestions I went with custom measurements, and tacked on a little extra just in case.

When I got it I was amazed at honestly how nice it is, heavy material with good stitching. The only problem I had was that the outer tunic was pretty long, but that's mostly because I added way too much to the measurement.

I got it this past Monday and had it hemmed today. Here are some pics, don't mind the background lol overall I'm REALLY pleased

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn27/stratcat96/31459522-3D6A-4E5C-B9EA-38DF2B18F8CB.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn27/stratcat96/15877172-BF0E-4B39-97BC-0F3BCA835011.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn27/stratcat96/D46BF3EE-184D-4BF5-A187-DD126AA80FE3.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn27/stratcat96/BEC83879-BFC6-4AFA-BB9E-92243D8A008A.jpg

Wow looks great! From what I've read the sizes seem to run small so giving them measurements might work best for me. I always have a hard time with sizes.

Wow looks great! From what I've read the sizes seem to run small so giving them measurements might work best for me. I always have a hard time with sizes.

Thanks! I was real apprehensive about a mail order costume from China let me tell you.. I was really scared I'd get a Walmart costume or something, but so many people talk about xcoser and the bargain it is I figured why not. The extra $10 to do custom measurements is the way to go. Many will also say to ask for a no seam hood, and I did. They emailed me and told me they won't do anything custom like that right now because of their busy season starting. Just an FYI

HI. I also got the Xcoser v3 and was really pleased with its quality. One thing that bugs me though are the silver threads in the monk fabric. I read somewhere that putting black beeswax on the fabric will hide these threads and also put the required sheen on it. Another one suggested plucking all the silver threads out. What did you guys do? Thanks! :)

14523291_10154603815006133_350893153134355744_n.jpg

I got the Xcoser V3 costume like a month or so ago and had my wife do some alterations (made it shorter since it was too long and take in the sleeves) and overall, not bad, especially for the price! Pics and quick test video below aren't the best, but give you an idea of the costume!

IMG_0243_zpsouvjvmzp.jpg

IMG_0246_zpszcri65ar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back