Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix)

This has just jumped from take it or leave it to very interested. Great music to set the trailer to. A bit too much action but then that is the genre!

Hope they keep consistent on what can/can't hurt him - so far its just about consistent. But a rifle at almost point black range is completely ineffective, but a shotgun to the face knocked him clean out for a day or so if I remember correct?

Looks ridiculously cool though, he has a lot of gravitas in the role. Should be good!

Last edited:
The Marvel Netflixverse is just so great. Really enjoying this stuff. I have to admit, I thought the nod to the old costume was brilliant too.

This has just jumped from take it or leave it to very interested. Great music to set the trailer to. A bit too much action but then that is the genre!

Hope they keep consistent on what can/can't hurt him - so far its just about consistent. But a rifle at almost point black range is completely ineffective, but a shotgun to the face knocked him clean out for a day or so if I remember correct?

Looks ridiculously cool though, he has a lot of gravitas in the role. Should be good!
What I took from the shotgun blast is the blast itself didn't penetrate his skin but caused some cerebral edema through kinetic shock. I know that fever and hyperthermia with resulting edema can be managed with therapeutic hypothermia (ice bath) but I'm not sure that holds true for traumatic cerebral edema. I think this is what they were trying to represent in JJ. His skin may be bullet-proof but his insides are still human.

After a summer of disappointing movies (other than Civil War) this looks like the most entertaining thing to come along in a while. Can't wait to binge on this! :thumbsup

Yup just got to the mid-season finale. REALLY well done. After watching Jessica Jones and both seasons of Daredevil I was praying they'd pull Luke Cage off well enough. My prayers were answered. Also the nods to the other series plus the film universe are great (also that classic Luke Cage costume appearance! Woo!)

We watched through episode 4 before I had to go pass out last night (coming down sick on Luke Cage weekend was a cruel, cruel joke from the universe), but I am loving it so far.

I´m about to start episode five. I think the series lacks a serious threat. Since the gangsters can´t hurt Luke why doesn´t he simply clean house?

IMO, he is actually trying to stay under the radar since he escaped from Seagate. Obviously he is not doing a good job. As far as threats keep watching :)

I'm 4 episodes in. I'm reserving judgement for now. It feels a little to soap opera so far. Not giving up. Loved dare devil but couldn't get into Jessica Jones, I just couldn't get into the creepy wierd factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, its definitely a different take on a super hero and a slow burning one at that. While nearly all the performances are pretty strong and watchable, the story has been disappointingly predictable and flat .Perhaps its the fact that I recently watched "The Get Down" but so many themes from that are repeated in this.
To me the whole "gangsta" stroyline has been done so many times before in film and TV and, as has been said, why the hell hasn't Cage just dropped a car on Cottenmouth (or thrown him off the roof)????? One punch and he would break his neck.
It feels somewhat like a modern spagetti western at times, with Luke as the quiet talking man with no name slowly beating his way gradually to the villian who looks and acts like the Lee Van Cleef bad guy. And the music also often seems like an odd remix of exactly those old Ennio Morricone soundtracks of the same. I would usually burn through a series like this but one or two a day is all I really seem to want.
Its not bad, its just not very gripping in the way the "Dare Devil" story has been or even "Jessica Jones" which at least had a lot of interesting backstory in it. I did laugh a lot at the "costume" moment and the "superhero landing" though.

Yes I thought it was great,....and as CutThumb said,....it was a bit slow,.....the second half of the series had a lot more cliffhanger endings,....the finale,...not gonna spoil it......could have ended a bit sooner if LC would have thought the glaringly obvious,.....

But great anyway,.....rating them,....DD,....JJ.....then LC.....not too excited about Iron Fist,....but I knew nothing about JJ (including LC) before I watched hat series

J

Finished the first season last night. Overall, I really enjoyed it, but not as much as Daredevil and maybe JJ. I may have to watch again to really figure out where it stands in my line-up.

A few comments:
I cracked up every time Luke b***h slapped thugs upside the head :lol
After all that 4k footage of the final fight taken by that bystander, I'm going to be very upset if Luke doesn't get the attention of Tony Stark, or any of the other Avengers for that matter. After all, Spider-Man was discovered from security cam footage...

This series really depends on the quality of the performances which is uniformly superb.
Coulter has a terrific presence and credibility in his stillness.
Rosario Dawson's choices as an actor remind me what a star she is.
At the end of Ep 6, I believe, when Luke asks her to coffee I love her reaction - She gives a wrinkled brow as if to say, "seriously?" and walks away saying, "I'm not sleeping with you" is one of many great moments.

About Luke/Claire
At first I simply assumed that the arc would follow the comics where LC and JJ become a couple. And I thought it would be just too trite for Claire to end up sleeping with Luke. I could see them as strong platonic partners - especially with the chemistry they obviously had. I was surprised she kissed him and was, at first disappointed, but then after thinking about it I was OK with it. I like that it didn't have them hopping into bed while on the run but that they only shared a kiss when taking him away. It was really touching.

There were some fantastic moments in the show. I really loved the sense of community demonstrated by the radio show interview in Ep 12.

Weakest thing about the show for me was in the last episode.
I just didn't buy the idea of the powered suit for the villain. It was just too convenient. But it wasn't enough to wreck the show but it was one weak spot in an otherwise strong series.

And the music was terrific.

I don't understand critics who complain about the similarities in tone with the other Marvel/Netflix shows. First of all, the tone here does have some commonality in the nighttime inner city color palate but it is not identical to either of the other two series. I think each series has to share some common ground and the city itself is a character shared in each show.

I absolutely love this show. Misty was fantastic and now I'm really curious to see if they're going to have the Misty/Danny relationship from the comics. I think it would be really interesting from a writing/character standpoint to have an older black woman dating a younger white man.

I'm super-excited for Iron Fist and the Defenders after this. :popcorn

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back