Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix)

This show actually broke Netflix for a few hours in my locale, couldn't watch anything. It was worth the wait. Why can't DC make shows like this. They have some of the most iconic characters. Oh well, what can you do ?

As I said a couple of posts back,...re-watching Jessica Jones.....up to Ep4.....so much depth to this series & how it connects to everything else

It's just so much better second time around

'Sweet Christmas'

J

I absolutely love this show. Misty was fantastic and now I'm really curious to see if they're going to have the Misty/Danny relationship from the comics. I think it would be really interesting from a writing/character standpoint to have an older black woman dating a younger white man.

I'm super-excited for Iron Fist and the Defenders after this. :popcorn

I can't be the only one, upon seeing Misty, desperately wanted her to lose her arm right away, right?

I just wanna say I'm about 3 episodes in and I LOVE this series. Also, I'm totally buying the soundtrack on vinyl, because it is amazing.

I just can't believe it cage and DD both are trueish to the core material . it Looks like the actor they got for Iron fist actually resembles his comic counterpart . what's going on ? Netflix is actually doing things to serve the story and core of the chracters and not just some made up politacal or whatnot agenda and there along great shows I wish certain studios would take the hint.
Loved the OG power man look even if it only lasted 5 seconds .

Last edited:
I just wanna say I'm about 3 episodes in and I LOVE this series. Also, I'm totally buying the soundtrack on vinyl, because it is amazing.

Finished up last night and i agree completely. I'd watch 3 hours straight and be wanting more. Just so damn engrossing! That casting agent is going places. Every damn person flat out nailed their roles.

I´m about to start episode five. I think the series lacks a serious threat. Since the gangsters can´t hurt Luke why doesn´t he simply clean house?

Seems like a lot of people are posting after 3 or 4 episodes. I binged watched them last night. Awesome. "POP" is my favorite actor from Thomas Crown affair. . Today it seems a little slow and needs a better villain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, finished it today - didn't binge it all but over a number of weeks as and when I got chance - which in itself is a bit of a bad sign for me. Both Daredevil seasons and Jessica Jones I absolutely HAD to keep watching. With this, maybe twice throughout did I feel the need to put the next one on.

I loved some parts, and I very much was brought out of the show at many parts, unfortunately. Some of the dialogue seemed so, so clunky. I thought Colter was at his best when they let Luke off the straight and narrow, and let that beaming personality shine through - every time he was being cheeky, or having a conversation that didn't involve the plot directly, I thought he was amazing. But that damn dialogue really held him back.

Some of the ideas, and certain executions were phenomenal. I especially enjoyed the part in the finale when Harlem rallied behind him. That felt natural, and was emotionally charged. And all that coming off the back of an excellent basic robbery stop, which was awesome - the nonchalant knock outs, the hoodie swap etc. Great storytelling.

Then you have Misty Knight, whose overall arc was good but the actress (or maybe the writing) just took her to the same place too many times. She showed us she had range and then it just felt like there was three settings for her.

Mariah...I think on paper, I see where they went with it. I don't think it worked as well in the show. I understand her arc entirely. I wasn't particularly impressed with the actress apart from a few scenes - she nailed some and others it took me right out of the viewing.

The worst thing really is that if this show had just dropped on Netflix without any prior stuff from Marvel, I would have most likely been satisfied if not inspired. Unfortunately for Luke Cage, an absolutely stellar Daredevil and Jessica Jones first seasons which I have very little bad to say about raised the bar too high! Daredevil season 2 was ever so slightly below them both in quality but still was amazing. This was just middle of the road for me, albeit with some awesome moments throughout. I just dont think it was as even and tightly done as the others.

Having said all that, Im looking forward to seeing these characters make appearances in other shows and Defenders, really can't wait for that.

I'm assuming spoilers are fine now, right?

To start, I couldn't get into Jessica Jones at all, and I know I've missed some story there.

That being said, I LOVED the first couple episodes. The music alone was enough to keep me interested. They had a story, they were building a world. Cottonmouth shows up, and now we have a villain! He blows up Genghis Connie's, his cronies kill Pops.. he causes some actual damage. Luke knows he needs to take him down, but cottonmouth is a step ahead. He knows about Carl Lucas, and that puts Luke Cage in his pocket..What on earth can Luke do to get out of this situation? Well, we don't know because Cottonmouth is killed by Mariah.. that was the turning point for me.

I just feel like it started so well. They were building something cool, and I couldn't help but give it my full attention. Cottonmouth died and the whole show felt like it derailed. The Mariah storyline, I understand what they were trying to do but it just missed the mark. Stryker honestly felt like a last minute thought by the writers that was shoe horned in so Luke could have a "powered" villain to trade blows with. Boring.... Stryker was laughable as a villain at BEST. The whole hostage mess, blaming Luke for crimes and deaths..The power suit? Come on..

Luke's dialog is consistently horrendous.. the only thing worse being his delivery. They reference this several times in the show itself, so I'm sure it is in most cases intentional. I will be honest, I'm not familiar with his comic character. That being said, I don't think most casual fans watching are.. and "Sweet Christmas" takes me right out of the show. Every time. I think they nailed the casting on everyone except for him and Styker.

My closing thoughts? I would be absolutely fine with this show not having a season two.

I'm assuming spoilers are fine now, right?

To start, I couldn't get into Jessica Jones at all, and I know I've missed some story there.

That being said, I LOVED the first couple episodes. The music alone was enough to keep me interested. They had a story, they were building a world. Cottonmouth shows up, and now we have a villain! He blows up Genghis Connie's, his cronies kill Pops.. he causes some actual damage. Luke knows he needs to take him down, but cottonmouth is a step ahead. He knows about Carl Lucas, and that puts Luke Cage in his pocket..What on earth can Luke do to get out of this situation? Well, we don't know because Cottonmouth is killed by Mariah.. that was the turning point for me.

I just feel like it started so well. They were building something cool, and I couldn't help but give it my full attention. Cottonmouth died and the whole show felt like it derailed. The Mariah storyline, I understand what they were trying to do but it just missed the mark. Stryker honestly felt like a last minute thought by the writers that was shoe horned in so Luke could have a "powered" villain to trade blows with. Boring.... Stryker was laughable as a villain at BEST. The whole hostage mess, blaming Luke for crimes and deaths..The power suit? Come on..

Luke's dialog is consistently horrendous.. the only thing worse being his delivery. They reference this several times in the show itself, so I'm sure it is in most cases intentional. I will be honest, I'm not familiar with his comic character. That being said, I don't think most casual fans watching are.. and "Sweet Christmas" takes me right out of the show. Every time. I think they nailed the casting on everyone except for him and Styker.

My closing thoughts? I would be absolutely fine with this show not having a season two.

While I did actually enjoy the entire season, I did feel let down by what I thought was an uneven second half of the season. The turning point for me was also Cottonmouth getting killed.

I really liked Cottonmouth's character. He was just a really good bad guy. I liked that Luke was fighting Cottonmouth for something that Cottonmouth didn't even want done, and I felt that gave the story a really interesting dynamic.

The he died and Diamondback just wasn't as good to me. It wasn't even close, in my opinion. I just couldn't get into the Diamondback character. I also didn't like how Diamondback goes into a monologue to that one guy in the second to last episode (I think) where he basically explains the entire history of he and Luke, and then they followed that up with some flashback sequences in the final episode. Like, was it supposed to be some secret that they were brothers? Was that supposed to be a reveal!?? Because I had picked up on that quite a bit earlier. I guess I would have preferred to see some of those flashbacks to set that conflict up earlier in the season...they could have used them to build up to the final fight...but instead it seemed like they got to the last two episodes and were like "Crap, we gotta explain this hate DB has for Cage...I know, monologue and flashback!!!"

I would still watch another season, but I'd like to see it be better.

I can understand the disconnect from the 2nd half BUT those 2 villains are there to SET UP Mariah as the main villain of the series. It just happens that Ali did a ridiculously great job in his part! :)

I started up this holiday weekend. I got through the first three episodes and was just about ready to give up on it, as I found it rather boring. But the fourth episode was pretty good as it showed his origin. that's as far as I've gotten.

Does it eventually end up going anywhere? Seems rather dull.

Okay, maybe I mis-worded that. I didn't mean that the show is not good. I meant that it seems kind of dull by "Marvel comic book movie" standards.

It's not a "Marvel comic book movie," though. That's a key difference between Marvel's Netflix shows (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist when it comes out). They tend to be slow burns. Their seasons are structured less like episodic TV shows, and more like novels where the entire season tells a story, but each individual chapter/episode doesn't necessarily have the same kind of big moments or impacts or whathaveyou. Jessica Jones in particular was like this -- a very gradual buildup, with an emotionally walloping climax. The thing is, you won't get that wallop unless you've watched the build-up first.

I actually prefer the TV series format for this stuff. I find that the buildup takes longer, but the end result is that the story has more time to breathe and feel a lot richer. I get way more invested in these stories than I do a film like Age of Ultron, which -- while entertaining -- felt like a TON of beats all happening in rapid succession, largely punctuated by huge fights, at the end of which I'm kind of like, "WOW!! That was AMAZING!!! .....What the hell happened in the movie?!"

^this.

Then there's the pacing of a network TV series which needs to dump some form of jeopardy (real or false) before each commercial break.
I prefer the "slow burn" of a Marvel Netflix series.

Just finished the series this morning. Loved it. Casting was great. Michael Colter is awesome. Can't wait for season 2.
I found this series easier to stay with than Jessica Jones. I still haven't finished that one.
I was really hoping to get a Daredevil cameo but oh well.
I'd love to see the Netflix series characters cross into the films and vice versa for some continuity and fan fare.

I'm guessing by the way they left it the next season will start with him getting out of prison with the information Bobby found in the barber shop. Diamondback will get supered by the doctor. Claire will take karate from Iron Fist.

Thought it was interesting that they made it seem like Misty was going to lose her arm like in the comic. Would have been cool if they went that route but probably would have been hard to explain how Stark would hook her up with a bionic arm. Not like that's really his business and there was no connection to them prior so it would have been pretty arbitrary.

Overall, great show.

I just started watching JJ and I don't get the inconsistencies with Luke Cages Back Story.

Can anyone clear that up for me?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back