Astroboy's bandai millennium falcon..finished!

Re: Okay...the elephant in the room....millennium falcon streaking techniques

So I picked up these little q-tips at the anime shop near work. I think they may really come in handy for these streaks

20160726_144644_zpszau8bag7.png

Incidentally, they were selling this little bandai falcon for $99. The 1/48 moving x-wing was $199

Re: Okay...the elephant in the room....millennium falcon streaking techniques

I think these things are going to do the trick!!!!

Screenshot_2016-07-26-15-04-12_zpsmdd1vbt7.png

Re: Astroboy's bandai millennium falcon...please critique

Really points out the differences when the two are side-by-side!

R/ Robert

Wow, both Millennium Falcons look great! Especially the Bandai Version with these shapeways parts. So far I was hesitating to buy these additional parts because of the price.

Regarding the painting, last year I have painted the Hasbro Hero Series Falcon and have used oil colours from Mig Productions and Tamiya weathering kits for the streaking. Please see this picture:

image.jpeg

Wow, both Millennium Falcons look great! Especially the Bandai Version with these shapeways parts. So far I was hesitating to buy these additional parts because of the price.

Regarding the painting, last year I have painted the Hasbro Hero Series Falcon and have used oil colours from Mig Productions and Tamiya weathering kits for the streaking. Please see this picture:

View attachment 648441
Fantastic! I love the streaking! It really looks bang on.

now.....getting that effect to 1/144.

What did you use to apply the streaking?

I have used oil colours from Mig Productions and thinner with a brush and also Tamiya weathering kits for the streaking. I am not sure about using thinner for Bandai kits as I have read that the thinner would destroy the plastic.

And to apply the streakings from Tamiya I have used the brush you get together with the weathering kit.

I'm officially not happy. I just looks too dirty to me. SO much of these things rely on a great smooth primer and base. I think If I were to do this again, I would do the oils last as a spatter. The oil coat is the one that seems to take it too far IMHO...

20160729_131753_zpsdumyvu7n.png

20160729_131500_zpsd3lcou9j.png

I think that Truthfully....I need a 1/72 version

It's not as bad as you think it is.

This is why I haven't painted mine yet. I'm uncertain about weathering at that scale.
I think I need to find a local modelling show or something. So that I can have a real live chat about this stuff to a real live person. Honestly, this entire hobby of mine is online

That's why I'm always nosing around in the RPF modeling forums.
This is as close as I'm gonna get to hanging out with modelers and talking shop.
And there are some crazy talented modelers here.

Is that charcoal pencil you used for the stains? Did you do the whole bottom, or just that section?

That's why I'm always nosing around in the RPF modeling forums.
This is as close as I'm gonna get to hanging out with modelers and talking shop.
And there are some crazy talented modelers here.

Is that charcoal pencil you used for the stains? Did you do the whole bottom, or just that section?

I used volcanic sand pigments applied with tiny pointed q-tips.

I've been lurking these boards for years but I think I need to walk into a model shop and start asking opinions about my stuff. The time is now to up my game

It's sad that I'm already thinking of doing another one of these to do it better....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you think the Falcon is to dirty - is it not possible to wash the heavy streaks away and do them very thin and carefully again?

Do have seen the painting tutorial of the Falcon with Oils from Fichtenfoo on youtube? Maybe this would be a good idea. Maybe you could give it a try even this is a 1/144 scale Falcon.

Last edited:

If you think the Falcon is to dirty - is it not possible to wash the heavy streaks away and do them very thin and carefully again?

Do have seen the painting tutorial of the Falcon with Oils from Fichtenfoo on youtube? Maybe this would be a good idea. Maybe you could give it a try even this is a 1/144 scale Falcon.
I actually followed fitchenfoo to a T for my last falcon. In the end, it didn't translate to this scale. It looks way too cluttered and colourful.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back