Ant-Man Civil War - Pattern Drafting

kiyominai

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a license to create a few things from Marvel, and I still have access to my user license with the old company I used to work with that allows me to draft patterns.

0fUzPEt.png

Currently, in preparation for Halloween, I will be creating a sewing pattern for Ant-Man (as seen in the Civil War movie). Right now, I am drafting a pattern using basic block patterns, but I will be "drawing" within the block to trace out all the other significant details before I modify things any further. I'll probably add darts to the waist size later.

I will be creating the rectangular rear yoke of the pants (where the butt lines up) next.

In addition to that, I will be using a basket weave and perforated leather (both garment weight) for most of the black parts of the suit.

I will also be screen printing textures onto leftover fabric from the studio that created the suit (taking advantage of unwanted fabric).

Hopefully I will have updates in the next few weeks.

I'm surprised I managed to type all this out after a 15 hour flight.

Working on a Civil War Antman build atm too! Good luck, man, can't wait to see how it goes!! :D Will you be releasing the pattern files?

Thanks man. Good luck with yours too.

I have a lot of work ahead of me. I'm gonna be modifying the fabric list on my end just to increase comfort and mobility. I also have to find time to make the undersuit that goes underneat the vest pattern.

I'm not sure about pattern releasing. Maybe I'll sell these patterns printed onto paper who knows.

UPDATE:

K2uL1Vc.png

Here's a fun update, this is where my pattern becomes more than just a typical block pattern. Luckily, the "abs" pieces won't be stretching like it does simulated on the mannequin, but there's no room for the side panels, which means I'll have to increase the size of the front torso pieces to make room for it. This will eventually become more of a motorcycle jacket piece just to make everything fit.

In addition to that, I shortened the length of the pants until it hit just below the knee, where the knee pads will appear.

It's also hard to tell, but I also made the front in-seams shorter by taking in some fabric, that way the greyish pant piece in the front will cover only a small portion of the inner thigh. I'm still not used to talking using patterning terminology, but I hope everyone is able to follow.

I've also been thinking more about how I will create the undershirt that contains the long sleeve. I realized, since the undershirt with the long sleeve is mainly used for mobility, I have more freedom of what I want it to look like. I will probably have a baggy long sleeve when creating the sleeve pattern.

That's all I have for now.

UPDATE:

http://i.imgur.com/K2uL1Vc.png

Here's a fun update, this is where my pattern becomes more than just a typical block pattern. Luckily, the "abs" pieces won't be stretching like it does simulated on the mannequin, but there's no room for the side panels, which means I'll have to increase the size of the front torso pieces to make room for it. This will eventually become more of a motorcycle jacket piece just to make everything fit.

In addition to that, I shortened the length of the pants until it hit just below the knee, where the knee pads will appear.

It's also hard to tell, but I also made the front in-seams shorter by taking in some fabric, that way the greyish pant piece in the front will cover only a small portion of the inner thigh. I'm still not used to talking using patterning terminology, but I hope everyone is able to follow.

I've also been thinking more about how I will create the undershirt that contains the long sleeve. I realized, since the undershirt with the long sleeve is mainly used for mobility, I have more freedom of what I want it to look like. I will probably have a baggy long sleeve when creating the sleeve pattern.

That's all I have for now.

No way So you can also pattern too!?

Even if I'm not too keen on making an Ant-Man myself, totally subscribing to this thread just to see someone actually using Marvelous Designer!

Even if I'm not too keen on making an Ant-Man myself, totally subscribing to this thread just to see someone actually using Marvelous Designer!

Thanks man, I hope I get to import this into MD very soon

Update:
LoY0gIe.png

So what I did was increase the size of the back piece in order to add in those extra pieces that help complete the torso piece.

Since I am pressed for time, I'm actually going for a "good enough" but still visually accurate. I'm hoping to finalize the vest patterns by tomorrow.

I'm attempting this build myself, but starting from a duct tape mannequin of myself. Somehow, I think yours is going to come out a little better ;)

Looking great so far, man! I look forward to watching it progress.

I'm attempting this build myself, but starting from a duct tape mannequin of myself. Somehow, I think yours is going to come out a little better ;)

Looking great so far, man! I look forward to watching it progress.

haha thanks man, I've seen your build and it actually pushed me to make my own pattern since I've been putting off making the Ant-Man suit for myself.

I think yours will be just as great though because I've seen your other work man.

Small Update:

dH6TyDO.png

So I am happy so far with what I have of the overshirt/vest and pants piece. I decided to add some detailing by creating "cushioned" looks in order to simulate fabric padding in between parts of the fabric.

Update:

Color really does the trick doesn't it, I haven't mapped out all the internal shapes to the right color but just thought I'd show this off. The seamline highlights make it look like scuba diving gear. I added a sleeve and I attached it to an invisible undershirt that you can't see.

i5GnL8D.png

How do you plan to sew the suit? An entire body suit from your feet to your neck, or a shirt and some pants? And either way, how will you be getting in the suit? Zipper on the back?

How do you plan to sew the suit? An entire body suit from your feet to your neck, or a shirt and some pants? And either way, how will you be getting in the suit? Zipper on the back?

I'm approaching it the movie way, you can't tell from the simulation, but I will be creating the undersuit first by basically attaching arm pieces a regular shirt block since you won't really see much of the undershirt besides the arms.

For the oversuit vest, I will install a zipper where the back seams meet, which will partly run up the pixane-like piece, which will be hidden by the metal back piece.

The undersuit and the pants will be connected, and I'll also install a back and waist zipper as well. The vest will go over the undersuit and that's how I plan on constructing the suit. I hope that makes sense.

I'm approaching it the movie way, you can't tell from the simulation, but I will be creating the undersuit first by basically attaching arm pieces a regular shirt block since you won't really see much of the undershirt besides the arms.

For the oversuit vest, I will install a zipper where the back seams meet, which will partly run up the pixane-like piece, which will be hidden by the metal back piece.

The undersuit and the pants will be connected, and I'll also install a back and waist zipper as well. The vest will go over the undersuit and that's how I plan on constructing the suit. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah no I didn't really get what you meant with over suit. I mean I get the two parts of the suits, I just don't understand how it's put together haha.. Nevermind then.. Where did you get the info as to how they made the movie suit, tho? Or do you maybe have pictures?

Thanks for opening my eyes to this program. It appears to be like a Pepakura Designer for cloth patterns. I'm really interested to see what you do with it.

I'm glad to see you have access to some of their licenses with your experience, which of course translates to fabrics and designs that you make being more accessible to us. Looking forward to it!

Yeah no I didn't really get what you meant with over suit. I mean I get the two parts of the suits, I just don't understand how it's put together haha.. Nevermind then.. Where did you get the info as to how they made the movie suit, tho? Or do you maybe have pictures?

Well, I worked on set films before, and I am familiar with Makovsky's approach to specialty costumes

Thanks for opening my eyes to this program. It appears to be like a Pepakura Designer for cloth patterns. I'm really interested to see what you do with it.

I'm glad to see you have access to some of their licenses with your experience, which of course translates to fabrics and designs that you make being more accessible to us. Looking forward to it!

Thanks man.I hope you will like the end results

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back