Ghostbusters Holtzmann's screw-u necklace

monta

I saw Ghostbusters two days ago; not a great movie but I fell in love with Holtzmann, so I decided to do a quick 3D printed build of her necklace.

I designed it in Fusion 360 and imported the screw from McMaster-Carr.

Here's a rendered version of the model (with a little weathering to make it look less fake).

Screw_u_holtzmann_rendered.pngnecklace_c2.jpg

There is no way to 3D print Holtzmann's necklace from Ghostbusters (because of the screw), without splitting it in half and printing "both sides",
Here's what the raw prints looks like, straight from my Flashforge Dreamer. One fore each side. (I used Simplify3d as the slicer).

raw_print.jpg

The next steps in creating Holtzmann's necklace is to solvent weld the pieces together. They are printed in ABS plastic so I just wipe them down with acetone and clamp them together.

solvent_weld.jpg

Next I do some "acetone vapor smoothing", but I'm not really using acetone vapor, I just brush some acetone on a few times. The acetone melts the top layer of the plastic and the surface tension of the liquid helps smooth it.

Then I gave it a rough sanding and couple of coats of primer in my cardboard and computer fan "paint box".

sanding.jpg

priming.jpg

Next I sanded it some more and spray painted it silver.
I added a little rub and buff to give it some depth and sealed it with a couple of coats spray clear coat.

Finally a soldered on a ring to connect it to the necklace I bought at the local thriftshop (for $1).

And finally.
My_final.jpg

It's a bit "quick and dirty", but I haven't made anything in a little while so it satisfied "the urge".
If anyone wants the .stl files, let me know.
Comments and suggestions welcome.

Me_wearing_necklace.jpg

Have you considered just printing the circle and the U, and then using a real screw to join them? You may need to design a negative buck or something to hold the floating U in the right location while you're drilling + attaching everything.

That would probably work great for "singles", I could 3D print a rough hole for it as well. I was originally thinking about casting it all.
A bit of metal would probably be nice.

I don't think the screw goes through the U. I think the U is a flatter letter in which the screw passes under and through the ring. Also the ring is more rounded. Other than that I think you have a good start to making an awesome replica!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back