Blue Max, the small slicer droid

As a fun aside, I came across this image today - a very different official take on Blue Max and Bollux:

latest?cb=20121112085719.jpg

As for the arms/sensor probes, I came across this in my local Poundland:

bJMxXDs.jpg

Bought 2 of them and after a bit of cutting up, rearranging and added washers I got these (I printed the "plans" out 1:1 scale):

c3AfK8F.jpg

Still needs the hand obviously.

As a fun aside, I came across this image today - a very different official take on Blue Max and Bollux:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...ледство.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121112085719

One i´ve never seen before, nonetheless a cool design for the droids, unusual, but cool.

As for the arms/sensor probes, I came across this in my local Poundland:

http://i.imgur.com/bJMxXDs.jpg

Bought 2 of them and after a bit of cutting up, rearranging and added washers I got these (I printed the "plans" out 1:1 scale):

Funny, thats exactly what i´m working on atm (different donor for the antennas, but ...) :lol
Not completely convinced by that, just no better idea yet.

For one arm i´m thinking to cut a Ikea Jansjö clip-on LED lamp, to get the bendable neck of it.

Still needs the hand obviously.

Aye. that´s gonna be the hardest part.

If it helps at all, here's the relevant text from an Solo at Stars' End:

[...] approximately cubical, with several protrusions and folded appendages. Atop it was a photoreceptor mount, monocular lensed.The unit was painted in deep, protective, multilayered blue. The monocular came on, lighting red.
The machine-within-a-machine studied Han up and down, photoreceptor angling and swiveling.

Incidental interjection here, since it's something the authors of at least one of those reference books missed:
"[...] Max because we crammed as much computer capacity into him as we could [...] Blue Max was a piece of work, even for us. He's puny, but he cost plenty, even though he's immobile and we had to leave out a lot of the usual accessories."
I always had the impression from reading that that the techs built him from scratch, not repurposed an existing droid. Anyway...

He has a "five-tine input" on one side -- which one not specified. From a passage a little further on, he has a scomp link behind another side panel (that flips down, incidentally) -- again, which side is not specified. There are a couple references to connector jacks -- plural -- to help hold him in place in Bollux's chest or other emplacements. There's a carry strap in a recessed groove on Max's top, long enough for Han to sling Max over his shoulder. My feeling is that if the input or scomp link were in the front panel, it would have said "front" instead of "side". Nothing to work with either way. But that may make the vocoder the primary feature of the front panel. *shrug* I'll review Han Solo's Rvenge and Han Solo and the Lost Legacy later this week to see if anything more can be gleaned from them...

--Jonah

If it helps at all, here's the relevant text from an Solo at Stars' End:

Incidental interjection here, since it's something the authors of at least one of those reference books missed:

I always had the impression from reading that that the techs built him from scratch, not repurposed an existing droid. Anyway...

He has a "five-tine input" on one side -- which one not specified. From a passage a little further on, he has a scomp link behind another side panel (that flips down, incidentally) -- again, which side is not specified. There are a couple references to connector jacks -- plural -- to help hold him in place in Bollux's chest or other emplacements. There's a carry strap in a recessed groove on Max's top, long enough for Han to sling Max over his shoulder. My feeling is that if the input or scomp link were in the front panel, it would have said "front" instead of "side". Nothing to work with either way. But that may make the vocoder the primary feature of the front panel. *shrug* I'll review Han Solo's Rvenge and Han Solo and the Lost Legacy later this week to see if anything more can be gleaned from them...

--Jonah

Excellent research! Very helpful and interesting! It always amuses me that books contain lots of information on appearance of certain objects or characters, but when it comes to artists depicting the character (say for a book cover or reference book) that they use that information!

I´ve lost most of my pics due to photobucket and a computercrash, but just found these old pics and edited my posts to avoid making this a wasted thread.

Funnily the build started as a quick build years ago ..... and it´s still not completed. Atm. it´s in it´s build version No.3 . Sorry for not having any pics newer than the above reposted ones, but after the photobucket fail i didn´t made and stored any pics for a long time.

V1 was close to the pics from the beginning, mainly only the details seen on the pics from post one - but it resulted in a kind of boring appearance. Had the sleek and tidy look of Star Trek, not really Star Wars.
V2 was a attempt to make it´s look more SW and interesting by adding more details/greeblies - but as i mentioned it before it´s easily overdone, and exactly that happened.
Now with V3 i´m satisfied, only a few details to add.

I've a few of those "quick builds" still gathering complexity in my workspace. Heck, my current primary Space Marine army for Warhammer 40K sterted out in 1998 as a single miniature protesting the inaccurate color scheme on the exemplar Howling Griffon in the 3rd Edition Space Marine Codex. Then, as my real primary force -- the Grey Knights -- languished for yet another edition in near-total limbo, a lot of my obsoleted minis and models ended up getting repurposed as Howling Griffons units as I upgraded stuff for my Grey Knights (new Land Speeders, new Rhinos, new Land Raider, new Terminators, etc.), as well as my "rejects" from new purchases (bare heads, the non-wing-motif-bearing chests, an appropriate number of backpacks and legs and arms...).... Then I started buying and ordering additional bits (old-style Razorback turrets, specific sprues or parts for conversions, additional miniatures to fill out squads, etc.). And now that single protest mini is a full Battle Company plus support -- over a hundred miniatures and a score of vehicles.

I forgot to post a follow-up that I found nothing additional of use in the latter two Han Solo books. Looking forward to seeing where you are with Max currently. :D

You've replicated & interpreted the Essential Guide to Droids drawing very nicely.
The greeblies look appropriate, and the appendages look like they work.
Another well done prop!

Reading the description from the book, it seems the Essential Guide to Droids omitted a few things, or simply left those details out of the drawing as they only drew the front view.

I still have my books as I bought them when they were frist printed.
My Bollux action figure was made from heavy cooking foil and looked like the artwork from the comic adaption.

Finding this thread reminds me I have a box of blue circuit boards I thought I'd eventually use one day to build Max.

Hopefully "one day" will arrive before the end of the decade.

I've been following both this and howl runners Blue Max builds, and they've both inspired me to try my own hand at building Max. Rereading the Han Solo trilogy, gathering anything and every detail to help.

I'll post my own thread on Max (and maybe, eventually, Bollux) as I get started this week.

Finished my Max speed build. My Ble Max, from the Han Solo trilogy

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back