The Jason's Batman Forever Batarang

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My favorite movie Batarang has always been the one from Batman Forever (it reappeared in Batman And Robin). I made one 20 years ago, but there weren't as many reference images as there are now. It turned out alright, but with all the new images and measurements out there I decided to try again.

I considered modeling it for 3D printing, but decided on a more traditional approach. It will be less accurate than modeling it, but more fun.

I have the prototype done. It's not perfect but I'm pretty happy with it. I intend to make a mold and make a few out of plastic. Sadly, I made a mistake on the template and it's still not full size. It's 10.5 inches at the widest point, but it should be 12 inches (that's about 15% too small). Take a look and let me know what you think.

forever batarang buck.jpg

Last edited:
Re: (QUESTION) The Jason's Batman Forever Batarang

I have made the mold and cast 4 batarangs I'm pretty happy with. I just primed them and they're ready for painting. That brings me to my question. I have seen replicas painted gloss black and metallic grey. There was a screen used folded batarang prop on the internet and it's metallic grey, but the official licensed one that just came out is gloss black. If you look at older images the officially licensed one from the 90's was metallic grey.

So my question is, what color does everyone think it really is(was)? In the dark lighting in the movies it's hard to tell, because lighting can make a huge difference. I tend to think it's metallic grey, but does everyone else think?

(By the by, more pictures coming soon!!)

More progress. I have molded the master and cast four batarangs that came out really well. I have primed them all with grey primer. I painted two of them flat black and one of them nickle. I plan to clear coat all three with gloss clear coat. On the Nickle one the clear coat will dull it making it look closer to the metallic grey. Below is a picture of one primed (top) and one painted black (bottom). The bottom one just needs clear coat. Let me know what you think.

batman forever batarang.jpg

I tried multiple paint schemes trying to get the color right. I tried gloss black, nickel and charcoal grey metallic spray paint. The charcoal was too dark. The nickel was too bright (even after clearcoat). After looking around for spray paint that was a closer color I gave up and went with the brush on. This is the one I liked best. It's gunmetal, but it's brushed on. It's definitely the closest of the ones I painted. Take a look and let me know what you think.

batman forever batarang markII.jpg

I finally found a spray-paint a color that I thought matched pretty well to the screen used pictures. I repainted all the casts the new color and clear-coated them. I'm finally happy with how they look. Here is a picture of the (finally) finished batarang. Let me know what you think.

batman forever batarang markII-2.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back