Y Wing based on the Dave G open source project

I had to say goodbye to all of the kit parts and put some paint on it. Now the fun begins-weathering! I still have to add the faded yellow/orange panels to the upper nose, but right now it's blocked in. Canopy and cockpit areas are not cemented yet.

I used floquil for the markings and various black areas (grimy black). I mixed a lot of paint to get the blue-gray (It ended up being light blue+grime+reefer white+reefer gray). Meaning that I used too much to get what I got. I got it a little too blue instead of leaning gray in the end, but I'm pretty pleased with it. I need to paint most of the pipes rust too.

I'm not sure how much I'll use dingy washes yet, as they seem to be just in specific areas. And how to achieve some of the general discoloration and grunginess is still pending. Any tips?

Attachments

• IMG_2762.JPG
    IMG_2762.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2765.JPG
    IMG_2765.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2766.JPG
    IMG_2766.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Real sealab pieces?
You're a little crazy :) but in the best possible way!

Last edited:
I'm going to call it done. Here are some quick pics of it. Remember it's supposed to represent the Ladd Y.

I'd like to thank all for the help that was given. Thanks to Dave Goldberg for giving us enough to make it happen, Gus76 for the interior, (I can't remember) for the engine interior parts, and all of the people here who I've exchanged IDs and such with. Tox's great photos of his fuselage build helped a lot and are still attached in this thread. And Jason Eaton for the engine greeblie kit, for his hash mark decals and for the final part I needed.

Yes it was insane using mostly kit parts and I almost wanted to keep it unpainted, but re-creating the film paint job is one of my favorite parts of the build.

And of course the RPF upload change portrait mode pics sideways. I wish that would stop...

Attachments

• IMG_2771.JPG
    IMG_2771.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2770.JPG
    IMG_2770.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_2769.JPG
    IMG_2769.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2768.JPG
    IMG_2768.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2767.JPG
    IMG_2767.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2772.JPG
    IMG_2772.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2773.JPG
    IMG_2773.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2774.JPG
    IMG_2774.JPG
    740.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2775.JPG
    IMG_2775.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 246
1.4 million is right! She looks like the prize of any collection. Congratulations Scott!

What paint technique did you use on your rust colored panels? They have a bare metal look with really fine speckles. They look fantastic!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliments!

Those panels are rust applied lightly with a base coat mist to knock them down more. The darker one is rust and orange, with the same mist over the top.

Thanks for the compliments!

Those panels are rust applied lightly with a base coat mist to knock them down more. The darker one is rust and orange, with the same mist over the top.
Thanks! That makes sense. Did you use an airbrush or out of a spray can?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Colors were airbrushed while the base paint was spray can. The spray can is probably why itspeckled the paint in the mist coat.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back