The Unofficial Terminator 2 T-800 Builders Club

Another thing that is nothing like the original films, now everything is shiny, fresh, new and polished.

True. Out of the "sequels", I still think T5 was at least trying to get back on track.

T4 is an abomination and 3, well that is just a pop corn film.

What is interesting about these (all films, not just Terminator) new digital capture films, is the attention to detail they now demand of prop making. Depending on the film stock, there was grain that could visually mask out some of the finer details. Now with 6K UHD digital capture, even machine or sanding marks are clearly visible. It is no excuse to make everything clean though. Where is the dirt of a lived in world?

Anyone know how to make the seams so white?

I wonder if it depends on the type of leather that you are using?

It does... I'll try to be short.

I replaced the 10-year-old pants that given to me by a friend. New pants were a crappier "couch leather", or "purse leather" (you may recall my earlier lament). Motivated much research on leather tanning and finishing.

Cheaper leathers (for reasons I can't recall) turn blue in the tanning process. Then the dye color is applied on top. So when you abrade the leather down to the "inside" (through the outer colored layer), the blue / grey begins to show through.

Bates - of course - uses the best leather possible, tanned with the best possible methods; methods that do not turn the leather blue.

So when the screen-used costumes (and the Planet Hollywood outfits, for that matter) were weathered, the scrapes and tears came out cream or white in color.

For my static display, I may actually paint the scrapes, if its not too tedious a process.

EDIT: The Terminator - Hmmm... Your jacket is a Bates garment? Then not sure what I said applies, or how it may apply... :unsure

Last edited:
I case the pic didn't work...

T2 014.JPG

Starting to look a little less disturbing ;)

Yeah, it is.

So I guess I'll just have to contact Bates and ask them :unsure

The figure, or me...!? Hard to tell proportions at this stage without all the musculature (needs a chest!), and no arms. But I sense that I'm close, anyway... Hopefully will permanently attach the head today, then I can start on the chest muscles.

On your jacket, theoretically, if you've ground all the way down to the "fuzzy insides" of the leather, I'd think it should be white / cream. Have you removed any bits of leather, such that you can see the full cross section?

The figure, or me...!? Hard to tell proportions at this stage without all the musculature (needs a chest!), and no arms. But I sense that I'm close, anyway... Hopefully will permanently attach the head today, then I can start on the chest muscles.

On your jacket, theoretically, if you've ground all the way down to the "fuzzy insides" of the leather, I'd think it should be white / cream. Have you removed any bits of leather, such that you can see the full cross section?

The figure :p

and no, no I have not. W-w-why why would I do that? That sounds a bit insane(!)

....hmmm now that I think about it though. The leather uh "tassels" is that what they're called? Hanging from the zippers, I'm guessing those are the same type of leather, so I guess that is a yes to your question :unsure

The figure :p

and no, no I have not. W-w-why why would I do that? That sounds a bit insane(!)

....hmmm now that I think about it though. The leather uh "tassels" is that what they're called? Hanging from the zippers, I'm guessing those are the same type of leather, so I guess that is a yes to your question :unsure

On my pants, for instance, I had to cut all the way through leather to create the gash, exposing the full cross-section of the leather (which was indeed blueish).

But are you doing yours to wear yourself? Or are you going the full Stage 5 route with bullet holes and all (we were talking bullet holes earlier)? If you're doing bullet holes, then that would do it (expose the inside - or cross-section - of the leather)...

On my pants, for instance, I had to cut all the way through leather to create the gash, exposing the full cross-section of the leather (which was indeed blueish).

But are you doing yours to wear yourself? Or are you going the full Stage 5 route with bullet holes and all (we were talking bullet holes earlier)? If you're doing bullet holes, then that would do it (expose the inside - or cross-section - of the leather)...

Yup, two jacket, one real bates one "fake", two different stages, the expensive Bates will of course be "stage 1" with no bullet holes, just general distressing. The fake one will get beaten, riddled with bullet holes etc

Yup, two jacket, one real bates one "fake", two different stages, the expensive Bates will of course be "stage 1" with no bullet holes, just general distressing. The fake one will get beaten, riddled with bullet holes etc

Then I totally see your point, and agree - I wouldn't cut into the Bates either if I had the alternative! And I apologize, becuase I do believe you've shared that with me before...

Is there an area on the Bates where you can simply grind deeper and harder (!?) than you have so far?

So with my Flesh & Hide knock-off, I'll ultimately have three: XL, L, and M. The XL is even a bit too big for me. If the M fits the figure better than the L (for that slightly undersized look Arnie's had), I may keep the Large to wear as well!

Then I totally see your point, and agree - I wouldn't cut into the Bates either if I had the alternative! And I apologize, becuase I do believe you've shared that with me before...

Is there an area on the Bates where you can simply grind deeper and harder (!?) than you have so far?

So with my Flesh & Hide knock-off, I'll ultimately have three: XL, L, and M. The XL is even a bit too big for me. If the M fits the figure better than the L (for that slightly undersized look Arnie's had), I may keep the Large to wear as well!

No problemo, we're not cyborgs with perfect memory ;) - UNFORTUNATELY :(

Just looked and I found one area I wouldn't mind...
Kk5x406.jpg

The back of the flap, for the tiny useless pocket lol

You SHOULD wear it ;)
Also, do you have kids? The reason I ask: http://www.theonion.com/article/study-finds-owning-cool-leather-jacket-more-reward-27627
:lol :lol

Cheaper leathers (for reasons I can't recall) turn blue in the tanning process. Then the dye color is applied on top. So when you abrade the leather down to the "inside" (through the outer colored layer, the blue / grey begins to show through.

The process you refer to is called "correction". Correction is a both a stamp (even texture and pattern) and a polyvinyl infusion, hence the blue grey. Because it is corrected, they don't need to use the best top grain leathers and can even use belly flap (which is often thrown away). It is why these leathers are cheap and so easy to look after.

Real leather, expensive leather is not corrected and as a result, sometimes you see insect bite marks and other imperfections like scaring from when the animal was alive.

The process you refer to is called "correction". Correction is a both a stamp (even texture and pattern) and a polyvinyl infusion, hence the blue grey. Because it is corrected, they don't need to use the best top grain leathers and can even use belly flap (which is often thrown away). It is why these leathers are cheap and so easy to look after.

Real leather, expensive leather is not corrected and as a result, sometimes you see insect bite marks and other imperfections like scaring from when the animal was alive.

Did not know this part...

Must be why couch leather feels a bit like vinyl. Again, the motorcycle pants I have are the correct leather. But the first F&H jacket (the XL) seems better. Hoping (again) the L and the M are of the same quality.

Last edited:
Did not know this part...

Must be why couch leather feels a bit like vinyl. Again, the motor cycle pants I have are teh correct leather. But the first F&H jacket (the XL) seems better. Hoping (again) the L and the M are of the same quality.

It is exactly why sub $4000 couch leathers feel like vinyl. Back in 2002, I was working in textiles and real hide leather was part of the products we sold.

It is exactly why sub $4000 couch leathers feel like vinyl. Back in 2002, I was working in textiles and real hide leather was part of the products we sold.

Very cool...!

By the way, I got the head affixed to the figure, and the arms test fit. So far so good. Pics later - probably tomorrow...

He looks good.

Are you OK with the brightness of that LED?

I've got my eyes in my endo skull running off a single 1.5V battery. They glow but are not bright.

Attachments

• IMG_20170124_124703_386.jpg
    IMG_20170124_124703_386.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 168
No problemo, we're not cyborgs with perfect memory ;) - UNFORTUNATELY :(

The back of the flap, for the tiny useless pocket lol

You SHOULD wear it ;)
Also, do you have kids? The reason I ask: http://www.theonion.com/article/study-finds-owning-cool-leather-jacket-more-reward-27627
:lol :lol

That's good stuff!

Still waiting on the jackets; possibly today, but more likely tomorrow or Saturday. Will give me time to build out the chest.

By the way, can't wait to start in on the left arm with the parts you set me up with. Sort of saving that for the end, as it will be one of the easier and more enjoyable parts fo the project. The right hand, no so easy...!

That's good stuff!

Still waiting on the jackets; possibly today, but more likely tomorrow or Saturday. Will give me time to build out the chest.

By the way, can't wait to start in on the left arm with the parts you set me up with. Sort of saving that for the end, as it will be one of the easier and more enjoyable parts fo the project. The right hand, no so easy...!

Reminds me of something, this is for you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofuytaapkk6wbog/terminatorshots.zip?dl=0
;)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back