Roland Deshain's Revolvers from The Dark Tower Movie

King was always describing how, when a gunslinger would "go to work" he moved with an almost supernatural speed and mechanical efficiency while reloading his guns. Speed loaders are highly efficient and I can totally understand why a gunslinger would use them, and if it's the "Pale Rider Route" as someone mentioned, I've always thought that was brilliant. Whatever direction they go, it won't ruin the movie for me, but I've always wanted to see what Roland hand loading one of his big guns would actually look like...

The cartridges in the belt on not speed-loaders per se, they are called "moon clips". In a side-swing or break top revolver you just drop in all six rounds at the same time, as a unit, and they extract at the same time too.

Most moon clips I've seen are metallic, I didn't even think about blued clips.

That would take a great deal of work. Those revolvers are not even kind of designed for that. That said, it's hollywood. He may never reload the gun on camera.

True on all accounts but there have been old west revolvers modded to have swing out cylinders. Maybe only one for all I know but it's been done. For example...

Last edited by a moderator:
Most moon clips I've seen are metallic, I didn't even think about blued clips.

I think he's right, looking at it up close... Moon clips on a kind of custom belt clip holder doodad...

- - - Updated - - -

They are still a bit odd, though, as I have no idea why they are solid in the middle.

I'm looking at moonclip holders that have a rod that the moon clip slides over... could be something like that with a leather loop to sit in.... hogupic00561.jpg

Attachments

• 593950.jpg
    593950.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 138
Buliwif, I've never seen those, neat idea! Perhaps to keep the cartridges from tilting inward and possibly coming off the moon clip?

Those are competition style holders. Jerry Miculek is a world record holder for revolver shooting. 12 shots in 2.99 seconds. Using a moon-clip revolver and a holder like that.

I wonder how fast Roland will be.

Of course they should not have gone with the Colt SAA. However IMHO, they should have gone with a 3rd model Colt Dragoon, cartridge converted.

Though to be honest, they should have went completely custom as Roland's revolvers do not have a real world equivalent. For one thing, Roland's revolvers have swing out cylinders which did not exist in the old west so you can't just grab a replica off the shelf and say "let's use these"... but they did anyways. *sigh* Of course Stephen King doesn't know crap about guns or ammo capabilities so some of the details in the books about said guns should have been different. Oh well.

Those don't look like swing outs. They look like they could be the typical side loading near the hammer like the Röhm RG-66 from the original Dawn of the Dead (I say this because the first picture, under the barrel on the right side looks like there's the push rod to eject the empty cartridges towards the front of the barrel). I could be wrong on this though.

Those don't look like swing outs. They look like they could be the typical side loading near the hammer like the Röhm RG-66 from the original Dawn of the Dead (I say this because the first picture, under the barrel on the right side looks like there's the push rod to eject the empty cartridges towards the front of the barrel). I could be wrong on this though.

You're describing a fixed-cylinder revolver with a loading gate. This is not that type of gun.

Okey dokey. :)

If this gun operates like it's real world counterpart, the Remington 1858. The cylinders will just drop out completely from the frame. Guns like you describe are the immediate predecessor to the Remington.

However there is a small mystery. He might be wearing rounds loaded into moon-clips and that suggests the cylinders could swing out instead.

If this gun operates like it's real world counterpart, the Remington 1858. The cylinders will just drop out completely from the frame. Guns like you describe are the immediate predecessor to the Remington.

However there is a small mystery. He might be wearing rounds loaded into moon-clips and that suggests the cylinders could swing out instead.

I would have suggested the possibility of the guns being break tops, but going from the photos, they don't appear to be that kind (no noticeable latch, no noticeable hinge). You might me right about the swing out.

I would have suggested the possibility of the guns being break tops, but going from the photos, they don't appear to be that kind (no noticeable latch, no noticeable hinge). You might me right about the swing out.

It took a few different members to get to that conclusion. And probably the best we can figure until more pics show up.

These are from the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly. Possibly stunt copies of the hero, but some good detail.

DTguns.jpg

DTguns2.jpg

I wonder if the originals are even real guns at all. Maybe these were just 3D models based on actual guns and then printed\cast.

YOU MUST have the symbol on the gun... must. And glad they did...

BUT...

That little flower like symbol is straight up a microsoft wing-ding. I realized this only a week before I was going to get it tattoo'd on. I was sitting in a restaurant and the menu was covered in the symbol... I showed my firend "Hey... are these guys just really into Dark Tower or should I be looking into where this symbol came from..."

That said. I will need these guns. Even if the movie is a complete gong show... I've always wanted Roland's guns.

I think those are stunt/holster copies. Yeah.

I'm starting to think maybe the firing guns are NOT 1858 remingtons, but something else mocked up to look like them. The trigger guard is much bigger, and there definately seems to be some other differences. The grip seems smaller in his hands.

small grip
Roland Deschain-2.jpg

Bigger trigger guard, and there is something else there forward of the cylinder than makes me wonder if it's not a modern 38 revolver mocked up like an 1858, so it has the swing out cylinder.
3623ABE900000578-3683610-image-m-23_1468186246677.jpg

YOU MUST have the symbol on the gun... must. And glad they did...

BUT...

That little flower like symbol is straight up a microsoft wing-ding. I realized this only a week before I was going to get it tattoo'd on. I was sitting in a restaurant and the menu was covered in the symbol... I showed my firend "Hey... are these guys just really into Dark Tower or should I be looking into where this symbol came from..."

That said. I will need these guns. Even if the movie is a complete gong show... I've always wanted Roland's guns.

In the story Eddie & Roland go back to 1977 and meet John Cullum who winds up creating the TET corp.,the protectors of the rose and the beginnings of the gunslingers. Eddie gives Cullum a bunch of money to invest and and advises him to keep an eye out for a company started by a guy named Bill Gates, "he goes by Bill not William."

In the story Eddie & Roland go back to 1977 and meet John Cullum who winds up creating the TET corp.,the protectors of the rose and the beginnings of the gunslingers. Eddie gives Cullum a bunch of money to invest and and advises him to keep an eye out for a company started by a guy named Bill Gates, "he goes by Bill not William."

Ha... I can't tell if you're being facetious... It's been a while since I read the last book (and only read once... unlike the first 4)... but it would fit...

Just pointing it out. First thing that came to mind when you mentioned the wingdings. I'm pretty sure it's in the Song of Susannah book.

It's been a while since I read them. The upcoming movie and this thread makes me want to revisit them.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back