Chronicle Collectibles Jurassic Park Night Vision Goggles

So just to give some reference material about the quality Chronicle as to compete with: some pictures of Rylo's goggles ;)

JP Goggles 01.jpg JP Goggles 02.jpg JP Goggles 03.jpg

JP Goggles 04.jpg JP Goggles 05.jpg

As much as I loved owning rylos goggles which were also made by the owner of chronicle collectibles paul Francis.I just hate how they are a static pair with the lenses always in the out position and I cant close them. I'm sure all said and done chronicles pair will be a really nice kinda functional replica. We all can complain about pricing which is a given in this hobby but it all depends how badly you want something. I sold mine and pre ordered chronicles pair with intentions on modifying them and wanting to wear them and walk around in them. I think it's really cool how these companies are even tackling these kinds props makes me happy :). Rylos and Paul's pair some of you own and once myself have a really beautiful work of art and I already miss mine lol. Hopefully moving on chronicle will deliver us an awesome kinda functional pair.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On their site, they state:

The 1:1 Jurassic Park Goggles have lenses that can be displayed in the open or closed position through two sets of inner barrels adjusted by manual control. With the open barrel, you can actually see through the goggles. When using the closed barrel, you will see the iconic crosshair pattern displayed on the outside.

So do they mean you have to take out one set of lenses to put in the other ones? Because they say there are two sets of inner barrels, with one of the sets you can see through them, with the other set, there is the crosshair. So with "manual adjustment" they mean: "take out one set and put in the other"?

OK, you will have two differen display methods in that case, but that's not the same as when the lenses would slide in and out by twisting them or something like that...

On their site, they state:

So do they mean you have to take out one set of lenses to put in the other ones? Because they say there are two sets of inner barrels, with one of the sets you can see through them, with the other set, there is the crosshair. So with "manual adjustment" they mean: "take out one set and put in the other"?

OK, you will have two differen display methods in that case, but that's not the same as when the lenses would slide in and out by twisting them or something like that...

Yeah, they're not very clear, are they?

I just noticed this and could hopefully be wrong so don't take my word on it, but I noticed with the lenses they have a short pair (Closed Pair) and a long pair( Opened Pair). I would be happy with this except for I don't think the extended pair will have the inner lens sticking out like on the original ones and on Davids replica.
Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 8.01.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-14 at 8.08.39 PM.png
Instead well get a long pair thats still in the closed position, but just extended. Hopefully this makes sense.
Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 8.01.40 PM.png

I just noticed this and could hopefully be wrong so don't take my word on it, but I noticed with the lenses they have a short pair (Closed Pair) and a long pair( Opened Pair). I would be happy with this except for I don't think the extended pair will have the inner lens sticking out like on the original ones and on Davids replica.
View attachment 809797View attachment 809798
Instead well get a long pair thats still in the closed position, but just extended. Hopefully this makes sense.
View attachment 809799
Chronicle have stated you will be able to see through the open lens attachment, which is accurate to one of the hero props Joe Mazello uses in the close ups. According to the supervisor of the 1993 build, see-through and non-see-through (opaque) versions were requested by Spielberg.

My choice of retaining the lens glass is not screen accurate. I did it because the tiny screws holding the lens section together were rusted fast. But everything else is screen accurate. The way the lens covers open/close is accurate, the 'lighthouse' effect on those covers. These are present in the closed replicas too.

The main selling point for me is the body of the goggles is essentially a 3D print directly from the scan of the prop itself. Rylos pair is great and a feat of prop replica making, but this pair is as accurate as we will get to the original piece, asymmetry and all. Apart from the harness and other differences I have noted earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
If I may ask, how much did Rylos goggles cost? Add licensing fees and boxes and overhead, are we in the same ballpark of $450? Rylos are very nice but the ribs around the sides always looked a bit thin and tall to me. The chronicles goggles look spot on. I agree the ledge around the lenses got sacrificed a bit but you can see its because the original goggles had a poorly made LED ring that half the LED was ground down so it makes sense to open the hole a bit so a nicer LED ring could be used. Putting an ugly ring on a mass produced piece just makes no sense. Unless you are a die hard "lover of prop buggers" like us most people would probably bitch if they paid $450 and got something as "rigged" as the original props. The lenses themselves are easy to figure out. You put the barrels you want in. Either open or closed. Both look like they will go in or out by manually twisting the housing. I don't think price is out of range. Motorizing the lenses would cost quite a bit if you want something that would work more than a handful of times. Anything plastic geared would strip out in no time and anything metal would cost. Also motorizing means a lot more to go wrong and lots more returns for broken or non working lenses. For $50 a month payment plan I am in like Flynn and these will be the best base for a custom motorized set. I do wish they went with the correct head adjuster but luckily I have one of those to put on them. I think these are the best so far when it comes to shape and all the details just looking so right.

If I may ask, how much did Rylos goggles cost? Add licensing fees and boxes and overhead, are we in the same ballpark of $450? Rylos are very nice but the ribs around the sides always looked a bit thin and tall to me. The chronicles goggles look spot on. I agree the ledge around the lenses got sacrificed a bit but you can see its because the original goggles had a poorly made LED ring that half the LED was ground down so it makes sense to open the hole a bit so a nicer LED ring could be used. Putting an ugly ring on a mass produced piece just makes no sense. Unless you are a die hard "lover of prop buggers" like us most people would probably bitch if they paid $450 and got something as "rigged" as the original props. The lenses themselves are easy to figure out. You put the barrels you want in. Either open or closed. Both look like they will go in or out by manually twisting the housing. I don't think price is out of range. Motorizing the lenses would cost quite a bit if you want something that would work more than a handful of times. Anything plastic geared would strip out in no time and anything metal would cost. Also motorizing means a lot more to go wrong and lots more returns for broken or non working lenses. For $50 a month payment plan I am in like Flynn and these will be the best base for a custom motorized set. I do wish they went with the correct head adjuster but luckily I have one of those to put on them. I think these are the best so far when it comes to shape and all the details just looking so right.
Just to be clear...the lenses will not wind in and out. They are static swappable pieces. But I like the fact we have the choice.

And personally the flaws/asymmetry are part of the selling point - so an inaccurate harness and some changes in the form, for me, detract a bit. If you want an idealized symmetrical pair Rylo is your man.

I think Rylos were originally around the $450 mark, but are much more like $800-1000 on the secondary market currently.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think Rylos were originally around the $450 mark, but are much more like $800-1000 on the secondary market currently.

Only because there is nothing else currently available. No disrespect to Rylo as he makes a fantastic product but I suspect when these star landing on people's doorsteps Rylo's goggles will take a severe nosedive.

That's what I thought Rylos went for , I just could not remember for sure. If a fan made sold for $450 then a licensed prop for the same amount is not out of line at all.

DavidJ, did you hear that from someone at Chronicles? It would be a pity they put all the work into making the slots for the focusing and pinned the barrels, it seems like it wouldn't be that much more effort into making them move. Unless you heard that from them I am going to disagree with you. The reason I do think they move is this sentence on the website. "The 1:1 Jurassic Park Goggles have lenses that can be displayed in the open or closed position through two sets of inner barrels adjusted by manual control" What else would "adjusted by manual control " mean ? If they were just swappable barrels I wouldn't think there would be any "adjustment". You'd just place them in and be done with it. You may be right but I am hoping you are wrong...haha. Either way, I'm in.

Last edited:
That's what I though Rylos went for , I just could not remember for sure. If a fan made sold for $450 then a licensed prop for the same amount is not out of line at all.

DavidJ, did you hear that from someone at Chronicles? It would be a pity they put all the work into making the slots for the focusing and pinned the barrels, it seems like it wouldn't be that much more effort into making them move. Unless you heard that from them I am going to disagree with you. The reason I do think they move is this sentence on the website. "The 1:1 Jurassic Park Goggles have lenses that can be displayed in the open or closed position through two sets of inner barrels adjusted by manual control" What else would "adjusted by manual control " mean ? If they were just swappable barrels I wouldn't think there would be any "adjustment". You'd just place them in and be done with it. You may be right but I am hoping you are wrong...haha. Either way, I'm in.
I could be wrong but I believe on Twitter and Facebook it was clarified. Two sets of inner barrels that can be inserted/replaced (manually). Makes sense as the inner barrel is the bit that extends, so interchanging gets over that mechanism. So one extended and one closed and shortened.

But no winding as far as I know - that was described in early video but so was the $100 price tag and partnership with some other company to make that happen. I get the feeling Chronicle were focused on a screen accurate form and giving fans an exact replica.

View attachment 809797View attachment 809798
View attachment 809799

If these are production parts then making them work is going to be easy. I'm assuming the side picture is an original or a master since the slotted housings looks to be aluminum.

If these are production parts then making them work is going to be easy. I'm assuming the side picture is an original or a master since the slotted housings looks to be aluminum.
If you just want the lenses to slide out thats probably fairly doable. If you want the lenses to motor wind out with the outer barrel rotating and the screw heads sliding along the slots correctly its a bit more involved I think. I went through a couple lenses just to get those working on their own within the confines of the housing - the precision was tight. But then Im not a motor/electronics expert.

That's what I thought Rylos went for , I just could not remember for sure. If a fan made sold for $450 then a licensed prop for the same amount is not out of line at all.
Sorry to say, but none of my top notch replica's are licensed props. I have some licensed replica's where I also have a fan-made version, and in most of the cases, the fan-made version is more accurate / better built than the official licensed prop. So purely stated the a licensed prop "derserves" the same price as a fan-made replica, just because it's offocialy licensed, is not justified in my opinion. All depends on built quality and accuracy, and in many cases this is the main concern of fan's when making replica's, while the main concern of companies is making profit.

I ordered the Chronicle goggles. I saw a Facebook live stream at Dallas, TX Fan Fest and they had the prototype on display (which I guess is the same one on their site). It looked great, and I would pay an extra $100 if they would include the head with base that they show on their site. It's a perfect way to display it. Five years ago, I was offered production-made goggles (but not screen used) for $13k by ScreenUsed. I love original stuff, but for 3.5% of the cost of production-made goggles--going the Chronicle route is a no brainer for me. Let me know if you want to see the pix of the ones I was offered a few years back. I'm sure I can dig up the pix. I save EVERYTHING, lol.

Wow, a lot of input here. Good to hear all the opinions. I have Rylo's goggles (which I love and have in my display). I also did the 6 payment option for the CC goggles and will see how they turn out when I get them early next year. I actually sometimes like having two different versions of a prop as it works to describe the build process and development. if i have both and decide to sell one or the other, i can always do that. i may just keep the heavier pair...

I ordered the Chronicle goggles. I saw a Facebook live stream at Dallas, TX Fan Fest and they had the prototype on display (which I guess is the same one on their site). It looked great, and I would pay an extra $100 if they would include the head with base that they show on their site. It's a perfect way to display it. Five years ago, I was offered production-made goggles (but not screen used) for $13k by ScreenUsed. I love original stuff, but for 3.5% of the cost of production-made goggles--going the Chronicle route is a no brainer for me. Let me know if you want to see the pix of the ones I was offered a few years back. I'm sure I can dig up the pix. I save EVERYTHING, lol.
Hi Tom would love to see those! Feel free to message me or post here.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back