Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ghostbusters Post Release

Well who has seen it?

i plan on waiting a week when it gets moved further down the amc theater, pay for another full price flick and go in to feigbusters. i want to see it with a crowd and enjoytheir shocked reaction ;o) only one of two movies i ever plan on doing this with.

i wouldn't trust any of the sites like variety. when they start off lamenting the greatness of the women and the evilness of the trolls...

that's a sure sign of shill or SJW.

Is that the default Straw Man argument for any review that doesn't live up to the narrative? I wouldn't accuse Variety or EW of being shill's for any studio.

What can one do against such reckless hate?

*Reviews are in at Rotten Tomatoes*

AHHHHHhHHHH!HH!!!!!!!!!!!

*ducks*
*takes a small peak*

notsobad_zpsvpvj9gri.png

....Oh. Well, that's not so bad.

Critics Consensus: Ghostbusters does an impressive job of standing on its own as a freewheeling, marvelously cast supernatural comedy -- even if it can't help but pale somewhat in comparison with the classic original.​

Not bad at all! My gosh. I don't feel scared at all in seeing this movie. I feel kind of.. I feel kind of Vindicated!

I find interesting how if you look at all critics on Rotten Tomatoes it gets a 71% fresh. But if you click on the Top Critics tab, that number drops to 29% fresh.

Most of the Fresh reviews are from questionable 'movie critics', while most of the negative reviews are from known media outlets.

http://s265.photobucket.com/user/lear60man/media/image.jpg1_zpsgzlzxrv7.jpg.html

image.jpg1_zpsgzlzxrv7.png

Last edited:

I find interesting how if you look at all critics on Rotten Tomatoes it gets a 71% fresh. But if you click on the Top Critics tab, that number drops to 29% fresh.

Most of the Fresh reviews are from questionable 'movie critics', while most of the negative reviews are from known media outlets.

Exactly. Look how easily Yelp is manipulated into the favor of whomever pays them the most money. I wouldnt be surprised if this was the case as well.

Exactly. Look how easily Yelp is manipulated into the favor of whomever pays them the most money. I wouldnt be surprised if this was the case as well.

when variety reports on youtube stars like it's actual news, they loose all credibility. things are so easily bought these days.

This is the problem I have with aggregate sites in general.

This thing will live or die by word of mouth. The toxic 'take your sides' clusterfark that's developed on the net over the last few months renders the reviews as pretty meaningless.

Questionable movies critics. Don't you know that everyone is a critic? It's not a critics job to conform with what a higher paid, more popular critic has to say. And while we're at it, New York Times liked it, The Guardian liked it, and even Polygon liked it! And these reviews have things to say, like

NYT: “Ghostbusters” is also a female-friendship movie, but without the usual genre pro forma tears, jealousies and boyfriends. Friendship here, even at its testiest, is a given, which means that Mr. Feig doesn’t have to worry it and can get on with bringing the funny with his stars and toys, his ghosts and laughs.

Polygon: The film couldn't exist if one character was more important than another and even Chris Hemsworth's smaller role feels just as important to the success of the movie as the main cast's. One of the best parts of the movie, surprisingly enough, was Hemsworth's portrayal of dodo-brained assistant, Kevin. It's one of the few times Hemsworth doesn't rely on physical humor to carry a character and although the attention focuses mostly on his good looks, he manages to make his character feel like more than a two-dimensional sex object, easily delivering some of the film's best jokes and scenes.

The Guardian: The fanboys are right: we are a long way from Reitman’s original. How far is worth highlighting: after all, that first film opened with a strikingly pervy Bill Murray conning his way into a late-night date with a young female pupil. The second gave Sigourney Weaver nothing at all to do but worry about her baby’s safety.​

I really like that "The film couldn't exist if one character was more important than another" bit. I remember back before this film was even conceived that fans said if the film didn't have Bill Murray in it, they might as well not make a Ghostbusters movie at all. Seriously, no Murray, no Ghostbusters. But thanks to Paul Feig's love of working with actors and giving all the characters moments to shine, we don't have to worry about a whole team movie being wasted on just one character.

Cognitive dissonance is fascinating. Prior to the reviews being released the narrative was that the reviews would bury this film. The implication being the reviews were reliable arbiters and witness. When that fails the reviews are attacked as unreliable and disingenuous with a lot of equivocating.

Er right now it has 41 review for 76%. Your screenshot is just 7 reviews. Look I picked 7 reviews and it has a 100%! Who won?

Jeyl: If you try to prove that ALL the good or decent reviews AREN'T "shills or SWJs" you have your work cut out for you. :)

Here is a question for those that have been complaining about this thing for months - WHAT would it take for you to believe this turned into a decent movie? An aggregate of reviews? A certain reviewer liking it? Most of the people on the RPF that post here said they enjoy it? If NONE of these is the case you may want to take a better look at how you make decisions.

A common tactic when you cannot provide any sound rebuttal. Do not talk about the issue, instead bully those who disagree and try to silence them. Should be a red flag waving high in itself whenever you see this tactic used. Time tends to corrects such.

Most sites: Oh wow, okay the trailers made it look bad but maybe it's pretty good.
TheRPF: No wonder Sony didn't spend much on marketing, they paid all the reviewers off... And none of those same reviewers who review every other movie are reliable.

I'd like to hear from a RPF'er that has seen the movie so we can get an honest review from a like minded individual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back