Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ghostbusters Post Release

Er right now it has 41 review for 76%. Your screenshot is just 7 reviews. Look I picked 7 reviews and it has a 100%! Who won?

Jeyl: If you try to prove that ALL the good or decent reviews AREN'T "shills or SWJs" you have your work cut out for you. :)

Here is a question for those that have been complaining about this thing for months - WHAT would it take for you to believe this turned into a decent movie? An aggregate of reviews? A certain reviewer liking it? Most of the people on the RPF that post here said they enjoy it? If NONE of these is the case you may want to take a better look at how you make decisions.
It would probably take an opening weekend like Star Wars The Force Awakens or Jurrasic World to convince most people. What are the chances of that happening?

It would probably take an opening weekend like Star Wars The Force Awakens or Jurrasic World to convince most people. What are the chances of that happening?
I think word of mouth and the positive reviews mean more to this film.No review will change the mind of anyone that already decided to not go see it. A positive review will change the mind of someone sitting on the fence to see it.

It cant.There is no way it can be a decent movie. Maybe I expect too much out of movies, I dont know. Im not going to pay money to confirm it. As its been discussed before, based on what has been shown, it cant be a good movie. Unless you like dumbed down hack jobs that arent funny, then by all means, go for it. The only way to tell if its a good movie or not is if you go in WANTING it to be a good movie and convincing yourself it is, despite what you have seen. Its funny how high and mighty you come off Karmajay, especially taking jabs at NeilT the way you do.

So anyone that likes the movie is crazy or dumb or paid. Just think for one second how that sounds.

Think about the stuff NeilT says above this movie concerning plots, conspiracies, illuminati, etc etc. You really think that deserves a second of thought? Plenty of others that dislike the movie have better reasons that i appreciate reading about (like westies above). The tinfoil hat stuff is off though, IMO.

It's art as entertainment and entirely subjective if any one person considers it "good". As I frequently pointed out in the TFA thread was the only "objective" facts about a piece of art is an aggregate off critical reviews and financial strength. That's where the rubber hits the road objectively. This film will likely be a modest financial success and it's entirely possible after the open weekend Sony will start plans for a second film.

im not bashing you because i consider you a friend from the star wars threads. BUT with figures and GB stuff already on clearance, i dont see a sequel OR ever see fieg doing another film.

BUT if it does happen ( a sequel ) i will buy you lunch! I'm a man of my word ;)

i dont mind the packs, the ecto1 isn't horrible but i can stand it.. i just dont see this movie being good to me. all they needed to do was make these girls the daughters of the original cast, and have thor as oscar and I'm sold!

i can't see myself going to see it...

And yet Disney with Marvel and LucasFilm are putting in a clinic on how to do it right.
And they are making a ton of money in the process.

So what are the chances the reboot makes the money that Jurrasic World, Marvel's Avengers, and SW The Force Awakens made? Because a lot of people will view the reboot as a failure unless that kind of money is made. And this includes Sony.

And they are making a ton of money in the process.

So what are the chances the reboot makes the money that Jurrasic World, Marvel's Avengers, and SW The Force Awakens made? Because a lot of people will view the reboot as a failure unless that kind of money is made. And this includes Sony.

Sony doesn't even remotely have that expectation. I'll say if the film managed to get to break even domestically and make another $200M overseas Sony will feel relieved and consider a sequel. Making a $150M film for Sony in and of istself is not a financial hardship and if they can see clear a path to profitability they can justify the expense to shareholders.

Time Magazine had their head glued to Sony's backside in their review even going to insult those who didn't like the movie. Sony better hope they break even at least as GB isn't that huge outside the US and a female led cast might not fly in some spots.

We'll see. Perhaps this is the one that makes the studios reconsider their approach. Probably not. But I'm noticing the seesaw tilting towards the right direction: revivals instead of reboots, fans accepting whatever schlock the studios will spatter onto their trays less and less. No matter how many times you say otherwise, we simply don't have to just accept that this is as good as it can get for big-name properties. If we show the studios that we're willing to pay for quality, for thoughtfulness, and unwilling to pay for mediocre reboots, I guarantee you there will be a sea change. Yes, it's all a business. They'll sell us what we demand, and nothing more.
Well I'm not going to argue that GB16 is at good as a modern Ghostbusters film could have been-- not even close. On the flip side, it's not as bad as it could have been. I can say that with complete certainty.

I'm curious what a new GB film would have looked like if development had remained stalled until post TFA. Would the crazy success/acceptance of the new SW have swayed the GB brain trust into doing something different? Will Sony view their properties differently if Spider-Man Homecoming is a smash? You're right-- we'll see.

Things are unraveling pretty quick with the revelation that there are fake reviewers out there, something suspected.
The sexism charges during production and the "haters" term screams talking points and again, a pr tactic used to put unhappy fans on the defense. Which in itself is quite something to see. this reeks of a company trying to do damage control knowing they screwed up a otherwise valuable franchise opportunity. Sony has a huge disconnect with it's fan and consumer base and this is almost like a textbook case of taking a bad situation into a total disaster.

More studio execs need to get fired over this.

Sony and their plant are busted. Picture of the guy with you know who is in article.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2016/07/sony-may-produced-positive-ghostbusters-review-youtube/

HAHAHAHA

That article says Sony paid a youtuber with 348 followers to make a positive review? I guess that makes sense if you believe some of the other stuff people have been saying. Same crappy news sites that said there was an review embargo until the film's release.

For anyone that can read that article with a straight face and believe it, I have a nice bridge I'd like to sell you also. :)

Man, what are these people going to do when no one gets fired, this makes plenty of money and they announce a sequel?

Last edited:

Things are unraveling pretty quick with the revelation that there are fake reviewers out there, something suspected.
The sexism charges during production and the "haters" term screams talking points and again, a pr tactic used to put unhappy fans on the defense. Which in itself is quite something to see. this reeks of a company trying to do damage control knowing they screwed up a otherwise valuable franchise opportunity. Sony has a huge disconnect with it's fan and consumer base and this is almost like a textbook case of taking a bad situation into a total disaster.

More studio execs need to get fired over this.

What was the Counts Favorite saying? 'Wonderful! AH HA AH! 1 fired executive. TWO fired executives! I could be doing this all day! Three! That's THREE fired Executives! (I hope wendy's is hiring!) Ah Ha AH!'

I'm not so sure we don't have some sony plants here with how some people are talking sequels ;o)

3- Buy a full price ticket for another movie, and go into feigbusters instead.

You have every right to take your anger to ridiculous levels NeilT, but you shouldn't encourage this kind of behavior. If a movie requires payment for admission and you see it without paying for it specifically, it's a theft of service.

HAHAHAHA

That article says Sony paid a youtuber with 348 followers to make a positive review? I guess that makes sense if you believe some of the other stuff people have been saying. Same crappy news sites that said there was an review embargo until the film's release.

For anyone that can read that article with a straight face and believe it, I have a nice bridge I'd like to sell you also. :)

Man, what are these people going to do when no one gets fires, this makes plenty of money and they announce a sequel?

Lets be clear, Jeremy Conrad is a blogger not a member of the media.

-edit Checking theater times.. Clifton commons, a big theater in NJ only has one showing at all for saturday. a 3D showing at 7PM. that's it. somehow i doubt that's right for a big theater like that, but it'd be nice.

http://nerdist.com/the-new-ghostbusters-doesnt-ruin-your-childhood-review/

last one for the night. never did like nerdist, now sony shill.

'the movie feels better when feig is in control'...poor, poor shill.

another contradicting article too

>>People wondering if this version–which Feig co-wrote with Katie Dippold–would be faithful to the spirit (pun intended) of the original, or indeed if it would tread all the same ground as the 1984 movie, can rest assured that the story feels almost entirely different, while there are certainly references and nods to what people remember about the old one.
>>
It pretty much copies and pastes. what's new? Slimer even pops out of a hot dog cart..

>>>
That said, I do wish it had distanced itself more from the original. While the storyline is completely new and none of the characters are direct retreads of the ones in the first one, there are constant nods that have a tendency to take the viewer out of it. There’s an argument to be made that the original surviving cast members should have played their original characters in a passing-of-the-baton moment, but I’m actually glad they didn’t. The actors are there and pass the baton just fine in their cameos; we don’t need Dr. Peter Venkman or Dr. Ray Stantz there to make people say “Why couldn’t we just have had them do a movie?”

>
I wonder if they covered the sony leaks, or they wouldn't have this 'baton passing' nonsense.

more madness tomorrow, i'm sure.
they can't stop people posting reviews from england.

Last edited:

Well...I just had my stupid moment.

After reading the comments here I decided to take a peek at Rotten Tomatoes myself. I was looking at the ratings and scanning the reviews and noticed that in spite of everything, it looked like the critics were LOVING it. Seriously going hog wild over it.

The I realized I was looking at the wrong one. I was reading reviews for the original. In my defense it's been a long day and someone was talking to me at the time.

For the new one, doesn't seem to be many reviews out yet, but for now I'm holding to my earlier predictions: fairly mediocre movie, but it will still make money. Hype is hype, and butts in seats are butts in seats, even if they only go to see for themselves what the fuss was about...they'll still go.

And Bryancd is dead right about one thing: the bottom line is the Money. If it makes a profit it's declared a win.

when variety reports on youtube stars like it's actual news, they loose all credibility. things are so easily bought these days.

Not to be argumentative...

Youtube is a viable outlet for entertainment now... can't be ignored.

I'm going to check this out completely open minded, and going to review if fresh... I haven't read a review and I won't. I don't want other's opinions. I consider myself a good candidate for a review as I like, but don't love Ghostbusters (though I do love the tech)... have mixed feelings about the second (I may actually hate it).

As for the ladies... I like Kristin... She's can be quite funny. I like Feig... to a point. I'm not really a McCarthy fan but I like Bridesmaids a lot.

I've never had an issue with it being ladies... and didn't hate the trailers... just didn't like them either.

So having no opinion whatsoever, I'm ready for this. This is the kind of movie I LIKE to see... one where it'd be great if I like it, but if I don't... whatever. On to the next!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it's only fair to say any positive review is from a shill, if it's also said that every negative review is from a misogynist.

This movie won't be able to win here, heh.

i wouldn't trust any of the sites like variety. when they start off lamenting the greatness of the women and the evilness of the trolls....

Thats exactly WHY I trust those sites!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back