Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ghostbusters Post Release

A common tactic when you cannot provide any sound rebuttal. Do not talk about the issue, instead bully those who disagree and try to silence them. Should be a red flag waving high in itself whenever you see this tactic used. Time tends to corrects such.

it's happened to me time and time again.

mostly be people i know loosely connected with hollywood

my favorite weird exchange though, was with a comic writer. who, rather than say, ' I like it because of mcarthy' or 'i love paul feig' turned it back on me by saying 'don't you hate it when people treat you like **** because of how you look?' and other stuff not related to the movie that i've since blocked from mind. no amount of explanation from me would stop him from trying to turn the conversation back on me. i've since blocked the insanity. sort of like some people here.

Only one person last night bucked the trend, and said why he loved the movie, because he was a fan of the director, and it was a breath of fresh air. but all the others i've run into? not so nice.

and i'm pretty sure my friend working with ghost corps does it for two reasons. one, to show his sony bosses he's defending the movie, and two, to playfully bust my balls online, like some kind of weird back and forth dance. it's ok though, he's cool, so it's allowed, we have fun with it...;o).

can we all at least agree that sony not only buys critics, but creates their own FAKE critic to give them glowing reviews? how tough would it be for them to buy off rotten tomatoes?
give a few of the staff access to celebrities they've wanted to meet. a few autographed photos, and boom.

Heading home from the green carpet premiere last night, quick feelings:

McKinnon is the best part of the film.

The opening is strong but the film is paced very quickly. Feels like it takes place in 2 days.

The cameos were good but Bills was the most involved.

Several jabs at internet trolls.

The dance number was during the end credits.

Lots of great gear and testing scenes.

No montage, was really hoping for one.

Lots of busting action and the ghosts are better than shown in the trailers.

It's going to remind a lot of older fans of an RGB episode, especially with a human controlling the ghosts like Ragnarok and Roll for example.

No F bombs. A lot in the trailers is not in the film.

I'll be seeing it again at one of the screenings I'm working this week and really forming a final opinion. Was exhausted by the time I saw it yesterday. I do think the average joe will like it and not nitpick. Overall I enjoyed it, but definitely the new era of comedy feeling. Nothing will beat the original.

I'll wait until the movie is released to the general public and check the reviews. As a general rule of thumb I don't trust reviews of anything by people who get the product in advance or for free. They might not be getting paid cash for the review, but they are prone to giving positive reviews to make sure they get the next thing from that company for free or before anyone else.

i
can we all at least agree that sony not only buys critics, but creates their own FAKE critic to give them glowing reviews? how tough would it be for them to buy off rotten tomatoes?
give a few of the staff access to celebrities they've wanted to meet. a few autographed photos, and boom.

I listen to Matt Achity founder of Rotten Tomatoes every week when he guest on the Adam Carolla podcast to play a game they made up about film review scores. I find him entirely credible, earnest, and think there is ZERO chance he would jeopardize the good will and reputation of his web site to alter review results for a few autographs. Once again, Straw Man.

Er right now it has 41 review for 76%. Your screenshot is just 7 reviews. Look I picked 7 reviews and it has a 100%! Who won?

Jeyl: If you try to prove that ALL the good or decent reviews AREN'T "shills or SWJs" you have your work cut out for you. :)

Here is a question for those that have been complaining about this thing for months - WHAT would it take for you to believe this turned into a decent movie? An aggregate of reviews? A certain reviewer liking it? Most of the people on the RPF that post here said they enjoy it? If NONE of these is the case you may want to take a better look at how you make decisions.

RT has two measuring systems, one for the guy and a computer, and another for the people who are professional critics. So far only 7 professional critics had chimed in and most did not like it. Wait a week or two and that number will prolly creep up. But I didn't pick and choose the reviews, I just clicked on "top critics".

I'll wait for it to come out on Redbox etc. not because I have some bone to pick but, it takes a lot for me to want to see a movie in a theater. BTW you can't pick and choose the reviews on RT.

The haters are going to latch on to any excuse to whine, complain, and stomp their feet.

From what I gather from people I know that have seen the movie (with no real iron in the fire either way)-- it's a perfectly serviceable 201X summer blockbuster. Not nearly as good as the original, not bad enough to be deserving of the extreme hate. A fun night at the movies. Pretty much everything I thought it would be.

Neither extreme "wins". Like I've said countless times: a mediocre reboot > a mediocre sequel.

The haters are going to latch on to any excuse to whine, complain, and stomp their feet.

From what I gather from people I know that have seen the movie (with no real iron in the fire either way)-- it's a perfectly serviceable 201X summer blockbuster. Not nearly as good as the original, not bad enough to be deserving of the vitriol. A fun night at the movies. Pretty much everything I thought it would be.

Neither extreme "wins". Like I've said countless times: a mediocre reboot > a mediocre sequel.

Sounds like nobody wins, and as we're talking about a long-awaited entry in a beloved franchise as opposed to some random summer entertainment, this film - its development in particular - deserves all the hate it gets.

why would i take a better look?

If I hate paul feig movies, I hate paul feig movies.

If I hate mellisa mcarthy because all her stuff is the same, why would this be any different?

If I hate what JJ Abhrams did to star trek, why would i think his take on star wars is any better?

can people break out of a mold? yes. will it happen in this case? probably not.

will bitching about it endlessly for months change anything or how they work? no, but it sure makes you feel better and proves you still know you like what you like while other people tell you otherwise.

I'm not saying you can't enjoy it. if you like bad movies, or if that's your style of movie, fine. I personally find something as horrible as birdemic the funniest movie of that year.
My problem comes in with how people treat the bashers. saying they are crazy. i pity you. your opinion means nothing because you don't like it. time to move on while we can praise the movie endlessly. you can't bash it until you see it, yet we can praise it while having not seen it.

that kind of stuff drives me up a wall and only wants to make me bash it harder..and it sure doesn't endear me to the movie any more than the movie on it's own merits based on what we know.

Yet, for all this, I can STILL say if there was something I like about said horrible disaster. some of the supporters are so gung ho in the opposite direction, i wonder how many of them can say what they didn't like..it's a harder let down when you go in hoping to like something after a year of 'positivist bashing'

but, in a week, thankfully, it'll all be over.

Sounds like nobody wins, and as we're talking about a long-awaited entry in a beloved franchise as opposed to some random summer entertainment, this film - its development in particular - deserves all the hate it gets.
I guess I made peace years ago that a new GB film was never going to be anything other than random summer entertainment. Seriously-- how many sequels and reboots of beloved properties stand up to the originals? The best I hope for with this sort of thing is a fun two hours. Anything more is an awesome bonus. With that in mind, GB16 sounds like a fun night out.

If I want REALLY GOOD, thought-provoking cinema, I won't be seeking out corporate IP cash-ins.

My problem comes in with how people treat the bashers. saying they are crazy. i pity you. your opinion means nothing because you don't like it. time to move on while we can praise the movie endlessly. you can't bash it until you see it, yet we can praise it while having not seen it.
Hate in response to hate-- no shocker. You're not exactly without guilt in this whole party, going so far as to make fun of crew members names on a regular basis. I tried apologizing to Neil for any harsh feelings both on and off of the boards with zero response. Take that for what you will.

I think the haters have an absolute solid reason to do so, given the documented feminist portrayal purposefully placed into the film, the choice of director for that purpose and the documented issues of which you can see here:

IF you are willing to educate yourself on it...
I find the wiki leaks on the e-mails interesting and totally deflate the sexism excuse crap Sony is pushing

Or, the explained issue from a critic who has seen such and sums up why it is so bad:

When you have a solid basis to be called out for being bad, then there is it is deserving of such.

Last edited by a moderator:

I find the wiki leaks on the e-mails interesting and totally deflate the sexism excuse crap Sony is pushing
Believe me, I'm educated on the email leaks. I read them the week they popped up. None of it is out of the ordinary for Hollywood-- we're just getting an out-of-context peek into it. I actually thought it was relatively vanilla compared to what I was expecting. I only wish a PDF script of ALIVE AGAIN would have been included.

Maybe "deserving of the hate" was bad wording on my part. "Justifying of the hate" would have been better.

Just because it is the norm of Hollywood do you flatly get to dismiss the feminist hate attitude toward men purposefully placed in the film.
It may be vanilla to you but insulting to many. I laughed when Sony Studio execs noted in Variety that they believed it would tank "BUT maybe it will do better overseas". Yeah, because we all know that most of the world is a feminist attitude and hateful of men right????? Totally blind to reality.

Funny think though, that documentary justify the issue the "haters" are bringing up through that documentation. Hence it deserves due what is due.

Just because it is the norm of Hollywood do you flatly get to dismiss the feminist hate attitude toward men purposefully placed in the film.
I was referring to the emails as vanilla, not whatever anti-male shenanigans that are in the movie. I don't recall any man bashing in the emails. If I'm forgetting something, please link me, as I would love to see it.

It may be vanilla to you but insulting to many.
If anything, these RPF GB16 threads have shown me that I apparently have a thick skin and aren't insulted by things not directly at me personally.

I'm not going to miss any sleep over Rowan being shot in the nards.

sigh... dont we already have a thread like this?! now i gotta keep track of both of them?
I was thinking the same. I thought post-release threads didn't get kicked off until after wide release.

If you had watched the video, you would have seen Amy Pascal, Sony's executive staff, was fired for her social agendas pushed into this movie.
The we need to make all men in this movie look incompetent, stupid and a holes characterization used in the film as well other issues at thebeginning of the debacle.

I don't think people are thin skinned for getting upset at that, quite the contrary, we could even say... manly for being so upset. lol

If you had watched the video, you would have seen Amy Pascal, Sony's executive staff, was fired for her social agendas pushed into this movie.
The we need to make all men in this movie look incompetent, stupid and a holes characterization used in the film.
I haven't had a chance to watch the video, and probably won't until after I see the movie. Does the video provide confirmed proof that Pascal was let go due to pushing social agendas in GB16? Do you know the general time when this is discussed?

I'm pretty sure Pascal getting canned was due to the tanking stock and large amount of egg on her/Sony's faces due to the email leak. Many bridges were burned due to the emails, there was no way for her to not get canned. I'm betting that GB16 wasn't even a blip on the radar in regards to Pascal's firing. Otherwise, why would they give her a production company contracted to Sony and Ghost Corps? Unless there's some smoking gun that I missed on Pascal, it sounds like the video might be pushing an agenda of it's own.

Last edited:

I am sure Pascal got canned for many of the revelations the Sony hack produced, but the anti-man feminist e-mails leave no doubt as to her influence and as noted the actual content of this movie. More over, the revelations Sony studio exec knew early on the new reboot was in trouble but were too much into the filming to make major changes.

As one of the review posted above notes: "Their gender has little to no impact on the story… although like I said, it hangs over the film on a thematic level."

That's a shame as this was suppose to be a movie that focused on Ghostbusters, not a personal agenda as it is.

Last edited:

I think the haters have an absolute solid reason to do so, given the documented feminist portrayal purposefully placed into the film, the choice of director for that purpose and the documented issues of which you can see here:
https://youtu.be/L-6VLuz75yw

Or, the explained issue from a critic who has seen such and sums up why it is so bad:

https://youtu.be/u-Pvk70Gx6c

When you have a solid basis to be called out for being bad, then there is it is deserving of such.
Thanks for sharing those videos. I have avoided this whole controversy over the past year and that was an interesting "catch up". :thumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back