DL-44 live fire build

I had it rechamberd and relined to 9mm before I started all this. The 7.63 is a bit longer and of course different shaped with the smaller bullet and necked case, because of that I am still working on loading the overall length of the 9mm cartridge and shaping the ramp of the chamber for maximal reliability. I also need to polish all the moving parts where they come into contact with each other. The Red 9 was actually never as reliable as the regular 7.63 commercial anyway but I decided to go for the cool factor first. I hope to get it pretty reliable when all is said and done though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I am still waiting for the scope I decided to amuse myself by making some targets.

IMG_3717.JPG

I had it rechamberd and relined to 9mm before I started all this. The 7.63 is a bit longer and of course different shaped with the smaller bullet and necked case, because of that I am still working on loading the overall length of the 9mm cartridge and shaping the ramp of the chamber for maximal reliability. I also need to polish all the moving parts where they come into contact with each other. The Red 9 was actually never as reliable as the regular 7.63 commercial anyway but I decided to go for the cool factor first. I hope to get it pretty reliable when all is said and done though.

Ahhh that explains it. We were looking at having 7.63 tracers made, but it's a tough item to get. 9mm definitely makes it easier in all aspects. Cheaper too. The only drawback is the lack of mega fireball.

I have a Red 9 as well, and I haven't had any problems with it. I never hear about it being less reliable. I need to look into that. Mine runs perfectly.

Ahhh that explains it. We were looking at having 7.63 tracers made, but it's a tough item to get. 9mm definitely makes it easier in all aspects. Cheaper too. The only drawback is the lack of mega fireball.

I have a Red 9 as well, and I haven't had any problems with it. I never hear about it being less reliable. I need to look into that. Mine runs perfectly.

I read that a couple times different places. I have no personal experience firing a real Red 9. What I read could be related to the fake Red 9's because there have been a lot of 7.63 Broom Handles that have been converted to pseudo Red 9's and passed off as the real Prussian contract pistols, just by lack of knowledge, in 1920 Reworks, Bolos, and true counterfeits. I have seen a fair amount of poor work in done in relining and rechambering to 9mm too. The work that was done on my current project was 50/50. The reline and chambering was good but the ramp/throat to the chamber was terrible. As I mentioned I have had to do some milling to get it right.

I finished my targets. They look pretty cool all painted up and with the greeblies added. I also got an email today that the scope should be done by the end of this week. I will finally be able to finish and shoot soon!

IMG_3719.JPG

I know the scopes were delayed, but I got my scope mount, etc. from Todd's last Thursday. I have the first run scope and it is great, so hopefully this second run delivers as well!

I am still tinkering while I wait for the scope. I bought an old Mauser parts lot that had a different set of grips. The grips that were on it I believe to be original (they are old anyway) just not as old as the "new" ones I just got. I also took the whole lock assembly apart, cleaned and lubed, then reassembled.

1st set of grips
IMG_3731.JPG

New to me, older grips (I think I will use these)
IMG_3730.JPG

Disassembly and cleaning
IMG_3727.JPG

I emailed Todds Costume's and they were kind enough to send me the scope mount while I wait for them to finish the actual scope. I have now got the scope mount studs attached. I drilled and tapped for the stud over the magazine but I don't think there is enough metal for the back stud to make it worth tapping, plus it is over moving parts in the action which could cause problems. I welded the studs into place after making a jig to hold them in place. After that I made some steel rings to go around the welds, blued them and then filled them with liquid weld. Once the liquid weld sets up I will put the rest of the scope mount on. Now I just have to get the scope :darnkids. Everything should be ready and waiting when it arrives!

IMG_3784.JPG IMG_3786.JPG IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG

You never quite know how things are going to come together when it is time for assembly, but the crossbar fit perfect! My little jig did its job! The mounting kit comes with little plastic bushings to slide over the posts to help hold the crossbar in place and even with them it fit like a glove. I had to sand the two dovetail screw heads down to get the scope mount to slide on. They looked Zinc plated so decided to blue them even though they won't be seen, OCD you know. There had been some discussion if Todd’s was going to tap or indent the dove tail for the thumb screw. As you can see there is a slight indent now. I did have to grind down the thumbscrew so it would not stick out so far from the mount. It seems quite secure. It would not be a big deal but since this is a live fire I really don't want stuff to move at all. I am glad there was this little upgrade.

IMG_3792.JPG IMG_3793.JPG IMG_3799.JPG

I have some fun ideas for the "unveiling video" I want to do when I finally get it done. The scope is the last thing. I was already getting antsy for it, now more so! I guess I will keep planning the video.

IMG_3792.JPG

IMG_3793.JPG

IMG_3799.JPG

I was one of the ones who complained and made Todd do that lol thats a huge recess....thought it was going to be a cone, or bowl shape, since the flat surface was the problem. Let me know if it stays put!

A few months back a saw some pictures for The Force Awakens and saw the little CO2 cartridge in Han's belt and put two and two together that they are Tibanna gas cartridges for the DL-44. I made these out of some Crossman pellet gun cartridges. I rubbed off the lettering with steel wool and painted the ends.

IMG_3854.JPG
Green and Red Tibanna gas

I did some more research for Hans belt in ANH and found a stash of vintage CO2 cartridges from the 1970's that are screen accurate. I was pretty excited on this score!

IMG_3855.JPG IMG_3857.JPG
I was surprised to see the size difference

Last edited:
I also bought Scott's ANH belt he had for sale. It was the one that Jerry Miculek used in his video with another live fire DL-44. Thanks Scott! Since I was building a nice gun I wanted a nice holster. It also came with the Solo's Hold energy cells and a vintage gas cartridge. The energy cell are sweet! They are machined aluminum with brass nipples threaded in. Todd's Costumes holster is top notch as well! I think I will have to be Han Solo for Halloween!

IMG_3858.JPG IMG_3860.JPG IMG_3863.JPG

Now I just need a droid caller and the belt will be done!

Last edited:
Is the gun stil 7.63 Mauser? If so where on earth did you find tracers!?

I have been doing some exploring... I still have some research to do, then find some time to experiment, but I have an idea for tracers in the original 7.63 chambering. The bullet diameter for 7.63 Mauser is .308 as is the M1 Carbine. I got a hold of some tracers for the M1 Carbine and pulled the bullets. The tracers weigh in at 98gr. and a lot of people shoot 100gr. bullets in their brooms. The tracers are a lot longer than regular 7.63 bullets because of the charge in the base but I think I can make it work with the right powder.

IMG_3896.JPG IMG_3893.JPG

Last edited:
I got the tracking number for my DL44 scope from Todd's!! It will be here the end of this week! WooHoo!!!!

Meanwhile- tracer update. I loaded up some tracers and tried them out. They feed, cycle and work! They are not as bright as the 9mm tracers. The 9mm bullet is a little bigger so there is more surface area at the base of the bullet. The .30 tracer also tapers like a boat tail bullet so it makes the burning surface smaller as well.

For your viewing pleasure...

.30 Mauser
Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 9.27.09 PM.png 30 Tracer 1.png 30 Tracer 2.png 30 Tracer 3.png

9mm- Red and Green
Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 9.37.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 9.38.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 9.41.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 9.43.32 PM.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back