DL-44 live fire build

What are some suggestions for making the mystery disc? I was thinking about taping off the area and chemically stripping but I am afraid the stripping agent might get under the masked area. . Also I was thinking about a 1" grinding wheel or polishing wheel on a drill press with the frame secured to the platform on the press.

What have you guys used with success? I would like to not have to reblue or mess with the original finish. I just want the remove the finish where the circle needs to be.

Thanks for any help...

If you don't want to chemically strip, maybe just using some 0000 Steel Wool after masking it off?

My kids made their daddy proud today. These helmets were their request not mine!

These aren't the droids you're looking for...
IMG_3677.JPG

Last edited:
I stripped the finish for the mystery disc.

IMG_3682.JPG

I also got the sight done. These are the aluminum parts from DEC. I went with little magnets in the base to temporarily mount for display and then remove for shooting.

IMG_3686.JPGIMG_3690.JPGIMG_3691.JPGIMG_3689.JPG

This leads me to another question. Should I use the plastic Avron cylinders for the grill or the cast one from DEC? I like the idea of using the metal one but would the weight tear it off during shooting? Any thoughts or suggestions?

What experience have you guys had with the pewter grill in relation to live fire. What is the best way to attach it. I imagine the recoil may just flip it off.

I also did my first couple of test shots and noticed that the barrel sleeve slid back and started to fair open a little where the barrel meets the gun. I would have thought the tapering inside the sleeve would have prevented that. What solution to this did you guys do? Did you just tap into the barrel with the screw that mounts the flash hider or did you put some internal collar in place?

Thanks

Last edited:
You're learning everything I went through now. I was mentally predicting it but curious to see if my experiences were isolated. Apparently not.

As for the grill the pewter one being heavy will tend to pop off. The mass of it wants to not move with the gun as much. You're better off getting some todds replica tomtit parts and making a legit grill greeblie.

i have some extra if you need.

Mia's for the bull barrel... It's only going to keep happening if you want it removable. Otherwise you're gonna have to be creative and mill some stuff and epoxy some stuff.

i just finished two of them together. Pics and video on my Facebook if you wanna check it out.

Also watch the tv show of my build for Brock to see how I solved the barrel issue. I don't remember if I talk about it specifically in my threads pics or videos

I have some Avron cylinders on order from Todds when ever they finally get the scope done, but thanks.
I have also added 3x more magnets to the sight. I did not feel that it was secure enough.

I just took some aluminum sheet metal and made a sleeve to go around the barrel. It is a very tight fit now and it tapers to increase the shoulder diameter over the chamber where the bull barrel touches. Next I think I am going to drill and tap the bull barrel on the thick end in a cross pattern with 4x screws so the the bull barrel will be attached to the the barrel direct. I believe the bull barrel should be secure between the inner sleeve creating a tight fit and the screws pinning it to the barrel direct. The flash hider will also cover the screws so they won't be seen.

I caution you against the set screws idea. I tried that and all it did was tear the crap out of the barrel when it still loved backward. Your shin may work but my first attempt at a whim didn't. Also with set screws. I just ended up doing damage.

Also so youlld need it removable for cleaning so unless you mill the flat to match the natural barrel flat.

The show was on the outdoor channel. I think their site has the episode or part of it. The show is called shootout lane

only problem with that is adding more weight. It'll be your enemy with cycling... unless you already have it reliable. It'll take a lot of metal to fill that space enough to mill nicely too.

I hope I'm trying to help and not make it harder for you. There's no one way to do it... or best way really... just whatever you can make work.

I appreciate guidance from someone who has done this before. I thought it was going to be more straight forward.

So in relation to weight, did you end up using the aluminum or steel barrel sleeve? I have been working with the steel sleeve and the aluminum flash hider. Did you get it reliable with the steel sleeve? Did replacing the recoil and/or follower spring help? There was a C-95 carbine that Mauser made with a really long barrel so I would not have thought that weight would make such a difference in cycling.

The ESB version would be so much easier! It's just not near as cool.

Last edited:
I use the steel BB for looks and strength, but AL flash hiders... the steel just won't work reliably... too much weight.

I don't know how mauser overcame that with the long barrel. Surely they did something internally with springs.

I have my ESB live fire, and it WAS easier once I figured out how to have a removable FH. I had zero cycling issues.

I did not like the idea of having the BB permanent but I am starting to lean that way. I am thinking of combining most everything I have tried so far in addition to epoxy as you mentioned. "Too great I think, the Forces are."

I have gotten as far as I can until I get the scope and scope mount. Hopefully I will get them in the next couple weeks, but we shall see. I will put the plastic grill on for live shooting but the metal looks a lot better so I will probably use it for display. Also the sight is removable with the magnets so here is a picture with and without the sight.

IMG_3699.JPGIMG_3700.JPGIMG_3702.JPG

I got the bull barrel on and the flash hider mounted. I then ran about 15 rounds through it. To my delight, everything is still rock solid! I also fired a couple tracers and got some pictures you guys should enjoy.
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 8.27.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-02 at 8.29.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-02 at 8.33.00 PM.png

I plan on doing some kind of video when I get the whole thing done. I am still just waiting on the scope.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back