Star Wars Full-Size Scout Trooper Speeder Bike Build

Step 8:

Installing the top deck comes next. the insets are built by cutting out the center panel and slightly lowering it and then regluing. Since it now hangs below the bottom, the center piece needs some slight shaving to sit flush.

20160619_093757.jpg

Step 9:

Sanding, sanding, and more sanding... The Sanding Speeder - errr, Speeder Bike is starting to take shape.

The edge of the top deck is also blended in with more putty at this stage.

20160619_160143.jpg

Last edited:
Step 10: Epoxy

This is a terrific, pro-grade product that is fairly forgiving. Here's my order of operations for the epoxy/fiberglass process:

1) The initial coat of epoxy is applied (slow cure variety) over the structure to permeate the fiberglass
2) Wait to Dry (usually overnight)
3) Another coat of epoxy is applied with 410 filler added - peanut butter consistency
4) Wait to Dry
5) Sand high spots and use more filler as necessary

20160617_175811.jpg

This is freakin' (no time for a "g" but time to explain why) awesome!

It's funny, that the projection for scale tracing, and foam carving with a serrated knife, was the exact same process I used for making museum mannequin torsos at the Canadian War Museum years ago. Such a simple and effective method.

Very inspiring stuff man! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this.

Another cool built! Looking forward to the finished speeder. :)
Using expanding foam to fill the gaps... smart!

Thanks Towelkeeper - Appreciate the comment!

- - - Updated - - -

This is freakin' (no time for a "g" but time to explain why) awesome!

It's funny, that the projection for scale tracing, and foam carving with a serrated knife, was the exact same process I used for making museum mannequin torsos at the Canadian War Museum years ago. Such a simple and effective method.

Very inspiring stuff man! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this.

Hey partickivan - do you have any images of your process at the Canadian War Museum? Would love to see some of your work!

- - - Updated - - -

Let the sanding, filler, sanding, filler, sanding begin! :)

OMG - yes! Let the repetitive drill begin! Over and over! Ha!

Just finished priming and painting tonight. Will upload some photos later this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Step 11:

The first coat of epoxy is painted down and the cloth is positioned over the top. Use a paint spatula to spread (not a brush) to smooth out the epoxy and distribute it more evenly. Once dry, I applied a second coat, this time mixed with West System 410 filler. Peanut Butter consistency is about right and this coat fills the weave of the cloth nicely. Once dry, the edges can be trimmed and ready for a light sanding - 80 grit.

20160620_163707.jpg

Picked up some spare parts at the second hand store for this build. We picked up these office chairs for $5 and will use the stands as the base for the speederbike and corrugated plastic sleeve as engine parts. Additionally, I picked up a some computer cable bundling tubes and plumbing parts for cheap as well.

20160625_112239.jpg

Step 12:

The engine nacelles were built as one single piece so that I could ensure their symmetry. The base dimensions of both were created as a single piece with the tapering sheets of foam added. The two pieces at the center were not glued together so that when the shaping/sanding was completed, I could cut the base in half and the two sides would simply fall away from each other.

20160625_130549.jpg

20160625_143525.jpg

If you didn't already know this, the original ILM modeler's used a Space Shuttle kit for these parts. They're the nose of the Space Shuttle, so that helps when thinking of the shape profile.

Step 14:

The seat is then carved to shape and sanded down. The curve in the back is simply two layers of foam (top and bottom) cut into slices and positioned to match the curve.

20160626_090036.jpg

Step 15:

Using a sheet of masonite board, I projected some new patterns I drew up in order to maintain the scale profiles. Here are the front fins carved out with edges sanded.

20160628_195813_001.jpg

20160628_200757.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back