Spacebobs Power Droid Plans

That is fantastic, feet are great! How do you create those feet full size? Seems like sculpting is the way to go though I've never tried such a thing.

I'll be making drawing them out 1:1 as each view will fit onto A3 sized paper an then use copies of that as a template to cut in layers of plywood and build up the overall shape @ChrisN

The whole thing will be solid and weighty which is what most will need, I still can't believe you are planning to wear a wooden one.
An obvious question, won't it be too heavy?

"Won't it be too heavy" is a valid question. I don't think I'll be able to wear it for extended periods but the weight should be okay. I'll have both shoulder straps and handles on the inside bottom to help. A long time ago...I had made one much larger and heavier and was able to make it work. It also had a wooden contraption that could go into it to make it free standing (see picture). This one should weigh at least 30% less. I'm more concerned with the contortion act needed to hunch over and make it walk like the movie. I'm not as limber as I was for the first one I made. I'll know for sure next week when I cut the leg holes in the base. Might be pretty funny.

Here's the old one:

old Power Droid 1.jpegold Power Droid 2.jpegold Power Droid.jpeg

Now that is dedication :) just outstanding work there, it's amazings :)

You'll end up with a back worse than Harrison Fords though I think... how long to you plan to wear it for, not all day?

Hi Bob , at the end i didn't resist and i stared building it just after i wrote the last post on this thread, i re draw your plans on illustrator because i wanted to make it smaller, 1:2 scales based on your measures, in the meantime i was working on it i made some research and figure out that i could do some variations just to make it different as the internet references are not much, i wanted to add two back vents since iv'e learned the power droid is a portable battery. i made the structure in 4 mm high grade ply wood , and for the mechanical components i went around at the hardware store and a couple of other things that i recycled in my workshop. i'm stuck a bit on the feet , as i rebuilt it for the second time, still not happy whit it , i think i will try to redraw an updated version same as the one i've just seen in the thread ( sandcrawler screenshot ), i'm stuck also a bit on the weathering ( my friends says its ok), i choose to paint it grey green's and weathering whit some darker green , it reminds ma of Frankestein skin color, and it felt happy whit it as we are getting close to halloween.. i still have to add more weathering details and body parts i will use the red parts same as Bob , thats a good color contrast i think , ( please guy if you would mind any suggestion i will be happy to hear, also for the feet ) for the electrical panel i wanted to add some lighting , 2 different types , the standard kind of droyd ocular orbit, and a rectangular section , yellow that reminds me of the sandcrawler and tatooine... hope you guys like it and let me know what you think and many thanks to Bob! @spacebob ,
ps.
if you guys want to save some times on illustrator i can provide the vector drawings i've draw based on bob plans, so you can scale it and print it for cutting patterns and part positioning .IMG_6726.JPGIMG_6728.JPGIMG_6735.jpgIMG_6738.jpgIMG_6750.jpgIMG_6752.jpgIMG_6759.jpgIMG_6786.jpgIMG_6787.jpgIMG_6789.jpgIMG_6791.jpgIMG_6799.jpgIMG_6801.jpgIMG_6802.jpgIMG_6809.jpgIMG_6811.jpgIMG_6815.jpgIMG_6813.jpgIMG_6818.jpgIMG_6820.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6730.JPG
    IMG_6730.JPG
    515.1 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_6734.jpg
    IMG_6734.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Oh man,
Gonk babys

That just makes me so happy to see more power babies :)
Half scale must be boss, and I love the lights too.

The paint looks great to me but the great thing is you can just repaint anytime you want, its yours, you made it, you can upgrade it anytime you want.
I love adding more detail to things that I make, sometimes years later, they are never fininshed, just temporarily abandoned.

Can you post the vector drawings at a decent res on here ? that would be just the cats pyjamas.

Okay, here's the first walking test of my Power Droid costume. Still have to work out some bugs and it's not fully detailed or painted but this will probably be my only chance to get something posted this week:

P.S. ILYIK87 your 1:2 droid is awesome. Nice job, congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh his first steps, I'm going to cry :)
that just looks amazing ChrisN

Are you stooped right over in there?
Also what program did you make video in, it's great.

Yup, stooped over. I have 1 iphone in the face with it's lens in one of the small holes while Facetiming with another iphone on the bottom so that even though I'm stooped over and looking down I can still see where I'm going.

I used Final Cut to edit. I was watching some of Lucasfilm's very first R2 and Treadwell tests and wanted to give it some of that flavor.

spacebob here the vector drawings , same size as yours, hope is gonna save some times for you all...

Attachments

• lifesize power droid plans.ai
    174.9 KB · Views: 264
here is my finished piece , i figure it out how to make the feet look cool, ive added a couple of strips on the side , that ive recycled from an old stardestroyer kit that i bought for cheap on ebay and never assembled cause parts were missing, i also gave a final touch on the body, for a 5 day build, nearly 50 hours of work , i can say im happy with the result,IMG_6837.jpgIMG_6827.jpgIMG_6828.jpgIMG_6833.jpgIMG_6834.jpgIMG_6835.jpgIMG_6836.jpgIMG_6837.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know what Lucas Film/ILM used to make the original EG-6 power droid? I've heard they used a specific type of plastic storage box, but I can't remember what it was...

This has been a very great and enlightening thread!

I'm curious, now that we know what was used to build the original gonk droids, and some have been acquired by members of the community, has there been any updated plans with the confirmed measurements?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back