Spacebobs Power Droid Plans

spacebob

Sr Member
webgonk_s11.jpg

Copy of webgonk-s11.jpg

Edit 2018..Sadly my image hosting has gone under so for now there are only a few of the original pics of mine on the thread and now you have to click each pic to make it lovely ad detailed :)

Ok now I posted this little guy on my thread "Spacebobs Droids" and he has recieved more love than Barry Manilow.

This thread will cover how to build one and then hopefully provide research and info on updating the insanely simple plans to make the difinitive screen accurate Gonk :)

Last edited:
Information on screen used Gonk droids is scarce to say the least.
I believe the most famous power droid from the sand crawler was quickly stripped down and re-used as another.
I gave up tying to find out how tall this prop should be so in the end I just made mine slightly shorter than my Artoo.

webgonk-r2-comp63.jpg

webgonk-r2-comp63.jpg

Click pic :)

Last edited:
When I first built him I had no plans at all unlike my other droids which I drew up myself
These simple measurements were drawn up after the event to share, this is the easiest prop that ANYONE can build from plywood.

webgonk6759.jpg Edit the original numbers like my gonk in red, "closer" to screen used in blue...

webgonk678-(1).jpg

So far at least two others have built from my plans so if you have a finished Spacebob gonk post it here so he can keep track of his kin :)
Everybody build Gonks. Come on, you know you want to.

Last edited:
I do and it could very well be my next project after Han, so I'm following with great interest.

I would consider something similair for storage... or an opening at the top and it would be a recycling bin inside... (For Nerd Den bar!)

Maybe I need to work on this DURING Han in Carbonite.

Bob, thanks so much for making a thread. Your GONK is by far the best I've seen. I love your design and its simplicity! I've got to make one of these for sure!

Very well done. I like the extra use you put him to also. I like the idea of a small bar inside perhaps with an ice chest in the bottom half.
Can't wait to see more of the build.

I have been watching @Torron build his and think this will be my next project. Trying to decide if I want him to serve a purpose still. If I do, what purpose should he serve?

Your's is a record holder. I saw ne that was a charging station for Game controllers and another that was just had surge strips mounted into him. That way he was an actual power droid.

Thanks for posting the drawings you used. Look forward to seeing what others are doing and when I get ready to start mine. I'll be sure to post a build thread as well.

Thanks for the nice comments peoples, can't post any more pics at the moment but I think he's good for any kind of storage or modding.
Build it first and then decide.
After I've posted al the pics of this one I'm going to start working out the mark 2 sizes (edit already posted above) and see if there is much difference :)

Last edited:
awesome! do you think woukd be possible to make one out of thin sintra pvc instead of wood? i'm not very familiar with wood working

Inviato dal mio LG-D855 utilizzando Tapatalk

Great looking droid, and the record storage is just too cool! At first I thought the title of the thread was "Spacebob Power Droid Pants", you know, like some kind of takeoff on Spongebob Squarepants, but I digress...

I might have to make something like this in the near-ish future

awesome! do you think woukd be possible to make one out of thin sintra pvc instead of wood? i'm not very familiar with wood working

Inviato dal mio LG-D855 utilizzando Tapatalk

Well yes you could.... the problem is always getting the rounded outer edges. You would need to make the corners thicker from the inside so that after routing the outside edge it doesnt fall apart.

Here are a few more pics

webgonk678-(2).jpg

webgonk678-(2).jpg

1/2 inch 12mm cheap "shuttering ply" is all that is needed if you are weathering heavily.

webgonk678.jpg
webgonk678.jpg

As you can see the construction is insanely simple, it just glues and screws together, when the glue has set the screws can come out and their holes filled ready for routeing.

webgonk030.jpg

The midrail is simply glued and screwed to the sides of the bottom half and this makes a seat for the top half which just sits in.
I think that the base/bottom piece of ply is actually either much thicker maybe 3/4 inch 19mm ply or two 1/2 inch ones glued together.
Anyway it needs to be thicker :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back