Lost in Space (Netflix series)

I enjoyed this. My biggest gripes were the overly obvious and really, quite frankly, stupid plot contrivances.

Ok, this stripped down Jupiter launch that everyone helped to prep is the only hope for survival for all of the colonists on the planet... so... let's leave Maureen all alone in "mission control" because really, no one really cares enough about the success of this mission to be there while it's going on?

I thought there were two really dumb things overall. First, their complete horror at having guns, especially after they got attacked, on multiple occasions, by wild animals. Nobody has any clue what self-defense is on a hostile planet. Secondly, they made Dr. Smith way too mustache-twisty for my tastes. While a Jonathan Harris-type character would never work today, I think they missed a great opportunity to update the character and make her believable. But sure, there are plenty of individual things throughout that were just plot convenience theater.

I mostly liked the show. At first I was a little unsure of the character changes, but the new Don really grew on me. I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks Dr. Smith should be kept locked up with the door welded shut.

2. Again, on the training and these being smart people: After they got the guy out from under the trailer they should have just lowered it back onto the rock to plug it back up.

I hope we get a season two so that (spoilered for the 2 people who have not finished the first season yet):

That wouldn't have done anything, basically, the moment they lifted the trailer back to its normal upright postion, or more like once it was completely off of the rock, it lost most of the fuel due to a combinatin of the size and placement of the hole. What Don should have done was pull the trailer up just enough so that they could have slid they guy out from underneath and hope that enough of the rock is still in the hole to keep it sealed and/or placing it back on the rock will plug it up again. Either that or they could have simply tried digging the guy out since it was sitting on a rock, that meant that if they dug underneath the guy it would have created a hole underneath the trailer thus allowing them to pull him out.

Why didn't they just keep pulling on the trailer and flip it over so the hole was at the top? Then figure out some other way to transport the fuel?

But, I really enjoyed the show. Looking forward to season 2.

My guess is that the hole is so low on the trailer that by the time you've pulled it over on to its other side the damage is already done and you've lost most of your fuel by that point. I suppose that it's possible to save a good amount of the fuel if you pulled it over fast enough but that brings up the possibility of damaging the other side when pulled over very quickly and creating another leak or hole.

It was somewhat enjoyable and completely forgettable. I look forward to spending another weekend next year watching the new season and then promptly forgetting everything about it.

So far, I'm on the fourth episode of the show. I honestly don't find it bad. It's still far from great, but it's not bad. Spotted Bill Mumy in the first episode (again, being left to his own devices by Dr. Smith). Yes, I used to watch the original (back when SyFy was The Sci-Fi Channel and showed the classics). But this is a good starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone been able to find any official drawings, prints of the J2?

I quite liked the simplicity of the ship. I'd love a model of this thing at some point.

I wonder how they will make smith interesting though. I found it so odd how little they noticed her behaviour. Of course, they all did have colossal survival issues to deal with, so I imagine her oddities could be easily overlooked. But as things stabilize....

Has anyone been able to find any official drawings, prints of the J2?

I quite liked the simplicity of the ship. I'd love a model of this thing at some point.

I just read through this thread to ask the exact same question :)

looks like a project that could be nice to do in a 1'6" - 2' size'ish ..... but my workshop is already swamped with projects I need to finish ... so I really should start it ... I really shouldnt ...... nop ... nuhuh .... don't go there....... must resist :D

Must say I truly enjoyed the show ... it could level down a notch on the melodrama .... I don't need a new natural disaster or *******y situation every 2 mins to get that they are generally in a well *******y situation :) .... would have been more interesting to watch more character development .. and e.g. more conflicts between the Robinsons and Victor Dhar ....

But all in all really looking forward to seeing what they're up to in Season 2

I just read through this thread to ask the exact same question :)

looks like a project that could be nice to do in a 1'6" - 2' size'ish ..... but my workshop is already swamped with projects I need to finish ... so I really should start it ... I really shouldnt ...... nop ... nuhuh .... don't go there....... must resist :D

Must say I truly enjoyed the show ... it could level down a notch on the melodrama .... I don't need a new natural disaster or *******y situation every 2 mins to get that they are generally in a well *******y situation :) .... would have been more interesting to watch more character development .. and e.g. more conflicts between the Robinsons and Victor Dhar ....

But all in all really looking forward to seeing what they're up to in Season 2

I agree about the constant action. And the old cliche that they have something imminent to solve and then something blocks their resolution. All so we can have that needless extra drama.

Like when they found the other Jupiter to salvage the fuel. It's gone! No it's buried. It's going to fall off the cliff now! Someone is on board while it's going to fall. We got the fuel, but now the fuel truck brake lines are disconnected AND no it has flipped because the ground is exploding in the exact spot we have to drive. And now someone is trapped under the tanker! Just non stop silliness.

But I still enjoyed it. Far more to like than to be critical about.

I know I'm resurrecting this thread, but I had a bit of a ditzy moment that I didn't realize was a true easter egg type of thing. In the first season, the Robinsons and the other families have to come up with a plan to send a Jupiter into orbit to get in contact with the Resolute. Maureen is inspired by Will's T-shirt, which was for the early NASA missions called Gemini (this is mentioned in the show). However, it wasn't until i recently came across a video about the restoration of a shooting model that I didn't realize, the mentioning of the Gemini missions was multilayered!

For those who aren't familiar with the original LiS series, there was a pilot episode that was shot for the series. The original spacecraft used in the pilot looked a lot like the Jupiter 2 when the show got picked up, however, it wasn't. The craft the Robinsons used in the pilot episode was called the Gemini 12, and it was a single-story spacecraft (they turned it into a two-story spacecraft for the main series). I had completely forgotten that the spacecraft was originally called the Gemini 12 for the pilot episode (which I remember seeing on Sci-Fi back in the days of big satellite dishes at home). The ship got it's name from the NASA Gemini space project and the number 12 from Irwan Allen's birthday. A rather nice detail and call back to the original series that not many people may realize. Below is the video about the history on the original pilot episode spacecraft:

Last edited by a moderator:
The show was ok- but the Props costumes were great - I really liked the Orange and Blue space suits and the Robot design looked like something fun to tackle as well for a costume.

The show was ok- but the Props costumes were great - I really liked the Orange and Blue space suits and the Robot design looked like something fun to tackle as well for a costume.

I almost didnt even bother watching this going by the reviews here. I really glad I did and enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to Season 2.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back