Lost in Space (Netflix series)

I'm very much enjoying this series. Just binged it, and while of course some parts were annoyingly written (no need for lazy writing with only 10 episodes), I found it quite compelling.

I had no issues with the lack of weapons. It was clear that they had absolutely no expectations of extraterrestrial threats. No threats from internal conflicts thanks to strong moral vetting (presumably). And I actually like how conflict is resolved with less violence than the alternative could have been portrayed.

I know the knee Jerk reaction to kill Smith is strong, but I think it's far more plausible that killing someone is far more difficult than TV has been selling us for decades. These people are supposed to be the best. They're the ones who aren't supposed to be the sociopaths that can easily dispose of another human being. Hell, if it's your natural instinct to swerve to avoid hitting a living thing, that makes you more civilized than most people as far as I'm concerned. And that's what makes things more dramatic and complicated for our heroes. How to deal with something you weren't supposed to have to deal with. Even for a soldier like John.

The ship... I just can't help but see the Falcon's cousin in it. But I like it. I like it more and more when I see it. And I can't wait to see a model of it.

Overall, fun show. Hope it doesn't get overly dramatic or complicated.

Oh, and did the Toby Stephens who plays John, watch a lot of Scrubs? Because every once in a while, he looks and sounds a lot like Dr Cox. And that's awesome! I just keep waiting for him to go on with some long winded rambling speech that ends with dumping on Hugh Jackman.

I'm very much enjoying this series. Just binged it, and while of course some parts were annoyingly written (no need for lazy writing with only 10 episodes), I found it quite compelling.

I had no issues with the lack of weapons. It was clear that they had absolutely no expectations of extraterrestrial threats. No threats from internal conflicts thanks to strong moral vetting (presumably).

This is where I was until the last episode. I don't think any intelligent government would salvage/steal/reverse engineer alien tech and not be prepared for them to come looking for it, or at the very least be ready for an encounter with them since you know they exist and are in your hood.

This is where I was until the last episode. I don't think any intelligent government would salvage/steal/reverse engineer alien tech and not be prepared for them to come looking for it, or at the very least be ready for an encounter with them since you know they exist and are in your hood.

I get what you're saying. I was speculating that (based on the lack of information on hand) with space being practically beyond comprehension, so large, they never considered it would be an issue of the aliens looking for it. Or so naïve, that it could turn into a potential threat, just wasn't a thought.

The hard part is just not knowing the motivation behind why they didn't arm themselves, other than the history or absolutely no hostile contact in all their space travels.

And in the end, I don't really think it needs to be a plot point. If this turns into an arc of us against them, I'll be a disappointed. I like the idea of them just against the harsh environment of space and alien worlds (on a natural - uninhabited by sentient beings sense).

1. I found it hard to believe that the Resolute had no ships it could send down to search. EVERY vessel on it was a Jupiter, and EVERY one of them crashed on the planet? I feel there’d have been a few spare Jupiters just in case they needed them, or some other type of transport ship they could have launched. Even a quick mention of “the spare Jupiter’s were destroyed in the attack” would have sufficed.

There were only 11 Jupiter’s that crashed on the planet, the rest are still docked to the Resolute or lost in the wormhole. The Jupiters are designed to land then be the families habitat, not for search and rescue or return to orbit.

There were only 11 Jupiter’s that crashed on the planet, the rest are still docked to the Resolute or lost in the wormhole. The Jupiters are designed to land then be the families habitat, not for search and rescue or return to orbit.

Yet, many of them that landed on the planet returned to orbit, including the one manned by the Robinsons themselves...meaning that it’s clearly something the ship is capable of...so this reasoning still doesn’t explain why they never sent help down to the planet.

Yet, many of them that landed on the planet returned to orbit, including the one manned by the Robinsons themselves...meaning that it’s clearly something the ship is capable of...so this reasoning still doesn’t explain why they never sent help down to the planet.

They wouldn’t have been able to return to orbit had they not been able to find an alternate fuel source. The Resolute, not knowing if they could refuel on the planet, wouldn’t send the ships on a search mission.

They wouldn’t have been able to return to orbit had they not been able to find an alternate fuel source. The Resolute, not knowing if they could refuel on the planet, wouldn’t send the ships on a search mission.

There was enough fuel on the ship crashed in the desert to get back to orbit...that was the whole reason they went there. The only reason it wasn’t enough was because Judy decided trying to save that one guy and spilling most of the fuel was more important than getting a ship back up to the Resolute.

There was enough fuel on the ship crashed in the desert to get back to orbit...that was the whole reason they went there. The only reason it wasn’t enough was because Judy decided trying to save that one guy and spilling most of the fuel was more important than getting a ship back up to the Resolute.

Yup... that’s a good point. Also, had it not been for the eels the rest of the ships could probably have taken off too.

Yup... that’s a good point. Also, had it not been for the eels the rest of the ships could probably have taken off too.

Like I said, it’s not a huge deal to me...clearly if Resolute has justvsent some spare Jupiters down then the show ends by episode 2 and it becomes much more difficult for just the Robinsons and Smith to end up truly “Lost in Space,” but I’d have just liked to see SOME mention of why that didn’t happen or wasn’t an option.

[Massive Spoilers Ahead...]

If there is one area where this series is clearly unconcerned, it's with the laws of physics, logistics planning and a well fabricated rationale behind many of the plot elements. The backstory is just plain shallow. I think it's designed to be watched without consideration for any intelligent viewers' concerns about plausibility. There's a certain amount of absurdity that one has to overlook and simply accept.

The real joy in the series is what's probably the best designed Jupiter yet, despite any Falcon genes, and the character performances in some clearly contrived circumstances.

There are a lot of smart people on this forum! We're all problem solvers. And we all know that the problems faced here are as shallow as the backstory - and in many cases total BS. Yet we watch and enjoy because if there's one thing Netflix got right, it's the casting. We're supposed to hate Smith. Mission accomplished. We're supposed to root for the kids. Mission accomplished. Etc. They also got the robot very, very right: a new spin that makes the robot into a compelling and enigmatic character, not just a man in a can.

You want reality? Judy would have been crushed by the ice, or would have been suffocated by the inability to inhale. Rather a downer, that. Water expands when it freezes. The eels would have been great big bags of gas and/or fluid after consuming so much fluid so quickly - not to mention how something so voracious could have entered the ship in the first place. All of the ships. And fly through a collapsing glacier - on empty tanks using just the fuel that's "in the lines?" How could 18 year old Dr. Judy have known that and not her father, the dude doing said flying. Let's see.... what else... another favorite: the air tight chariot completely sinking in a tar pit. Not a puddle of lighter than water oil - a tar pit. Anyone here ever hear of a thing called "bouyancy?" Geez.

;)

But I love the show. The sheer stupidity of the thing is overshadowed by the comic book fun of it all. I don't watch it for the science. I watch it for the adventure. So if the situations are a bit contrived, I look the other way. If you think about this show too hard, you'll quickly learn to hate it.

The mother is the absolute most annoying character. Even when the dad is trying to save them she can't help but insult him or throw a dig in at him. Judy is egotistical and refuses to listen to anyone. Dr. Smith, while a jerk, is the most interesting and entertaining character. Will and the Robot are my other favorites. The science on the show is beyond stupid at times. It's supposed to be -60 degrees and the ice freezes in moments but then it rains what we can only assume is h20. The show is good and I'm looking forward to another season, I just wish they'd stop writing the mother as an idiot that decides not to tell anyone anything half the time and I hope that the dad will command more of a position of respect in the next season. A lot of times characters became stupid just to move the story along. Like I saw Will and that beeping radio deal a mile away.

The mother is the absolute most annoying character.
I would actually like to see "more" of her...

disagree.jpg

It's entertaining in a brainless kind of way. (I'm in episode 7) Not much science, and every three seconds some new threat manifests itself. The characters mostly waffle between being real and being plot driven morons.
The main issue I have is with the pretend Dr. Smith. If her evil only appeared when she was in danger of being found out, rather than just pulling idiot maneuvers that only reinforce her evil, I'd be okay with it. She has no future value as a character, it's not like you can keep her around because she's got a particular skill set.
The show is in danger of having the issue of the original, most of the characters are going to be hard to write for, only Will, the Robot, and Smith were particularly interesting. I hope I'm wrong, at least in this one West has minor moral dilemmas.
I like the robot the best, and the Will kid can act. They can start killing any of the other cast members off just to be different and I'd be more impressed.

But I love the show. The sheer stupidity of the thing is overshadowed by the comic book fun of it all. I don't watch it for the science. I watch it for the adventure. So if the situations are a bit contrived, I look the other way. If you think about this show too hard, you'll quickly learn to hate it.

You know, I've been thinking about the show over the last couple days since I finished it, and I think this one statement sums it up perfectly for me.

I enjoyed the adventure, the characters, and particularly the robot. The science of it doesn't make a ton of sense...but then again, it didn't really need to. The "Why didn't the Resolute just send down extra Jupiters?" doesn't really matter when the reason for that is simply "because then there wouldn't be a show."

I really look forward to where they take it next season...and lets face it, I don't see any way that this doesn't get a second season.

I mostly liked the show. At first I was a little unsure of the character changes, but the new Don really grew on me. I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks Dr. Smith should be kept locked up with the door welded shut.

If I had to find faults it would be:
1. They talk about all the training everybody had to go through but the show still falls for the old "kids run off as soon as the person who told them to stay has left the scene" trope. Including the one who almost died doing that in the first episode.
2. Again, on the training and these being smart people: After they got the guy out from under the trailer they should have just lowered it back onto the rock to plug it back up.
3. The "we have a solution to the problem!" followed by "welp" got a little repetitive.

I hope we get a season two so that (spoilered for the 2 people who have not finished the first season yet):
1. What did Maureen have to pay or trade to get Will on the ship?
2. Did the "robot" ship that Humans got the drive from crash or did we shoot it down?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back