Subscribe
    Feb 26, 2017, 9:25 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #76

Man, that is some fast work right there lol
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Feb 26, 2017, 12:30 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #77

Friendly flyer said: View Post
    Cool! The linked finger seems promising!
    mmhnc said: View Post
    I want this idea, it seems like it will look more accurate.
    cjchiu said: View Post
    Wow. Impressive. Seems like fingers are really complicated no matter which direction you go.

I really like how the hands are coming together. Picking up the plastic sheeting from Home Depot today. I found a 1/16th thickness so that should help keep them thin with all of those layers and linkages. The tricky thing is getting the angles of the pivots down. My prototype was half successful but without the right angles it won't bend right and close.

Today will be getting more materials. I also want to finally finish the feet patterns.

-Darren
    34 Days
  3. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    From
    Studio City, CA
    Feb 26, 2017, 2:27 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #78

Curious: Have you considered using 3D printed hands? I don't like 3D prints for a lot of the purposes they are applied to, but this sort of intricate linkage seems right up their alley.

If you don't have one, I know there are public libraries that sometimes offer them. Plus friendly local RPFers who might be willing to help.
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Feb 26, 2017, 2:33 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #79

kman said: View Post
    Curious: Have you considered using 3D printed hands? I don't like 3D prints for a lot of the purposes they are applied to, but this sort of intricate linkage seems right up their alley.

If you don't have one, I know there are public libraries that sometimes offer them. Plus friendly local RPFers who might be willing to help.
    I've thought of it. But at this point it would take me longer to design and find someone to print then to make out of the pvc board.
    I say that now, we will see after I've made 1 full finger.

I'm going back and forth between printing the head and making it out of foam. Might try foam first.
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Mar 5, 2017, 12:22 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #80

Finally some progress on the feet. I've progressed more on actually getting foam on the skeleton in the past 24 hours than the past 24 days. The slowest part of this phase is making the templates. Cutting them out of the foam is easy (thanks to my awesome bandsaw). But making them takes time.

After laying out one-half of the foot walls I mirrored it to create the whole piece.

This was scored and had the back edges cut along the folds.

The tricky part is to make each edge line up with the foot plate.

Everything is lining up nice. Here is where the ankle joint puck will go.

I found if I reversed the washer in the joints to the bolt side instead of the nut side it has a lower profile and doesn't stick out.

This is important when mounting the side pucks with their mirrors. I have a flat surface to adhere to.

I realized I didn't need to cut out the whole circle for the lower ankle plate.

By just cutting out a half moon it has a nice snug fit to the joint.

This is one of my favorite shots of the entire build.

The outer pucks will be glued to the bottom plate and have a few mm clearance from the top plate.

I added two stops with screws to keep the ankle from bending beyond where I want it to. If it goes too far the foam edges will smash into each other and damage the leg. I will do this with all of the puck joints. Ankles, Knees, Elbows. The wrists won't rotate on that axis.

I moved all of my K2 parts down to our single car garage. Almost like having a workshop.

Fabricated the lace covers top piece of the feet. I won't be scoring the outside edges of the folds this time. I want to see what it looks like as I can't take that action back.

The lace covers are a little thick but when the toe part is joined I think it will balance out.

Put some hidden pink foam inside the walls for strength. These are now glued together. That is a harrowing part of any project. No Take Backsies.

Even more nerve-wracking was inserting the joint in. The PVC is held by friction but the lower joint plate is glued with contact cement to the foot.

With the lace cover on.

I've templated out the top, side, and bottom of the toe part. Just need to cut it out and glue it together and the feet will be done.
    Oh, and finish the ankle joints.

I am very happy with my progress made today. If I can have a dozen or so days like today I should have K-2SO done on time. I need to put at least 2 hours into him every night to feel comfortable with my progress. I only have 5 of my weekend days available between today and April 1st.

27 days left

- Darren
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Mar 5, 2017, 2:05 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #81

Went back down after the kids were asleep and finished cutting out the rest of the toe pieces.

I was smarter this time and stacked the 4 edge pieces together to cut them at the same time.

Each toe is made of a top, two sides and the bottom. I should be able to glue these all together in about an hour tomorrow.

So the feet will be done tomorrow. I'll have the ankles done for sure and hopefully the leg templates complete.

Still 27 days left.
    Mar 5, 2017, 7:15 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #82

Keep up the great work sir
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Mar 7, 2017, 2:16 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #83

Another night and more progress.
    I glued together the cut seam for the ankle joint outer pucks. I also trimmed out the center core of the other 3 copies.

Created an inlay for the mirror.

This way it sits flush and is easier to mount the puck to the joint.

The toes came along nicely. Glued the sides to the top first. Wrapping the edges around.

Testing the fit.

The under piece presses out on the walls so the overall shape is trapezoidal.

Everything is flush on the bottom.

Feet are 90% complete. Just need to trim the lace cover a little around the toe so it can bend some.

I'll also glue the lace cover down and trim the back corners for some nice angles on the foot.

Very happy with how this turned out, and it's not even painted and weathered yet!

More progress tomorrow.
    26 days left

-Darren
  9. RPF Premium Member Bengrim09's Avatar
    From
    Uk Lancashire
    Mar 7, 2017, 5:44 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #84

Your progress is great, your work is outstanding, love the way it's coming together, can't wait to see the hands come together, keep up the great work
    26 days left !!!
    you can do it
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Mar 17, 2017, 4:07 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #85

Working on my calendar.
    15 days left
    Scheduled out my evenings and remaining weekends. I have roughly 65-71 hours left.
    More progress pictures going up this weekend.
    Legs are coming together and the head is being 3D printed.
    I've also ordered everything I think I should need to finish except for the paint.

Let's do this!

-Darren
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Mar 17, 2017, 5:08 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #86

Looking great so far!
  12. RPF Premium Member Bengrim09's Avatar
    From
    Uk Lancashire
    Mar 17, 2017, 1:44 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #87

DrscifiProps said: View Post
    Working on my calendar.
    15 days left
    Scheduled out my evenings and remaining weekends. I have roughly 65-71 hours left.
    More progress pictures going up this weekend.
    Legs are coming together and the head is being 3D printed.
    I've also ordered everything I think I should need to finish except for the paint.

Let's do this!

-Darren
    good luck my friend looking forward to the updates
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Mar 17, 2017, 2:51 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #88

Positive thoughts and fingers crossed!
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Mar 20, 2017, 3:37 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #89

Re-elect Mayor Goldie Wilson, progress is his middle name!

I received my Cassian rank bar for my officer. Even though I hope to go out with a Cassian cospayer most of the time I thought it would be fun to have my rank match his disguised officer rank on Scarif.

The head has been printed! My friend Steven over at Inland Empire Armory printed my K-2SO head for me. I just supplied the filament and he took care of the rest. All while graciously allowing me to hound him for progress pictures every day.

Head half with the support core.

Deeper and taller.

Only half a brain on this droid.

Printing the wrap around lower head.

All of the pieces coming together.

A very loose test fit. Figuring out how this all goes together.

All of the pieces. I ended up not needing the two core blocks from the center of the jaw. I'll also be modifying the under side to allow the pan/tilt head to operate.

Taping everything together.

It looks great. I have the mouth plate on backwards here but this gave me a feel for how the head will look. I'm planning on mounting my spy camera in the cheek area.

Flipped around the mouth plate. Everything looks good and fits well together.

I plopped the whole thing on top of the pan/tilt head to see if it could handle the weight. Was very happy it can. The pan/tilt head will be relocated inside the head but it can pan and tilt!

Close up of the cheek area.

I'm planning on attaching the camera battery here to the front of the pan/tilt. The cable should reach for the camera but not have the battery weight on the motor.

I also plan to put the camera logic board here where I can see the display light out through one of K2's light up greeblies. I just need to be sure I can still turn it on/off.

Cut away some of the internal structure so the pan/tilt head had more room. Panning isn't a problem, but with the pan/tilt inside the head I needed more space for it to tilt up and down.

I temporarily placed the leftover chin core inside the head to get the pan/tilt placement.

The pan/tilt sits just below this layer of the head.

This means I need to cut away a lot of the lowest layer, the underside of the head.

I'm keeping the front part which will have some of the chin glued to it. The rest will be discarded. I'll create a rim following where the piece was out of a strip of foam. Perhaps put some black cloth in.

Covering the cut point with foam.

Cut out K2's eyes from a milk jug. Still need to wire up the lights.

My garage will not be hosting a care for the next week. This will save me setup time as I work on K2 every night.

12 days!

Expect more updates here.

-Darren
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Mar 20, 2017, 3:40 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #90

Now, that is what I call progress!
    Mar 20, 2017, 12:03 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #91

Amazing work! Lost track of this thread and glad to have found it again. Epic build.I love it.
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Mar 21, 2017, 4:33 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #92

I think I know what was giving me builders block tonight. There are so many components to K-2SO that need to be fabricated my mind is all over the place. I need to sequence this out. "Don't over design the shoulder joint sleeves before the arm and torso are done." Tomorrow I'm going to list out the components and give this build some order.
    This is also beneficial in that the more progress I see the more excited I get to finish. Time to dig deep.

11 days left.
  18. RPF Premium Member karmajay's Avatar
    From
    Wendell, NC
    Mar 21, 2017, 10:11 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #93

I'm working on a Shoretrooper outfit and my deadline is also a week before Celebration so I know how you feel!
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Mar 22, 2017, 4:26 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #94

As I mentioned yesterday I've taken all of the components/steps for each portion of K2 and written them out on index cards.
    Head, Torso, Harness, Arms, Legs & Props are the main categories.

It's a lot, but bit by bit it's coming together.

Ran to Home Depot during my lunch and picked up a few supplies. Grabbed filler primer and bondo putty for the 3D printed head. This will help smooth it out for painting and detailing.
    I also purchased screw eyes for guiding the hand linkages, two wooden planks for the hand puppet plates, some latex gloves and PAINT!
    Picked up my 2x Rustolium primer paint and the black high heat BBQ paint. I've seen others who paint K2 use this color and it has that flat metallic look I'm going for.

I also want to make one of these Death Star data cassettes as a prop for K2. This isn't my build but an example of what I want to do. A little foam, some CD spindle pieces and wires and I'll have a nice prop for the tall guy.

My back harness arrived. With so much of K2's weight being placed on my lower back, I don't want to hurt myself. So far the layers are building up. The back brace, then the chest harness, then the Imperial Officer tunic.

Did a lot of design work on the puppet hand plates. As I always say, there's a point in every project where scale matters. I've reached that point. This was my first design, determining how far I'll be from K2's back and center line. I changed tactics once I realized that his elbow will be almost at my shoulder height. I need to be able to keep his arms at a neutral stance without bending my wrists too much.

So I shifted to this design. The panels are closer to the elbow and connect at a 30*-40* degree angle. This lets his arms hang down at his sides without my bending my arms or wrists. But I can still pivot my wrist and make him reach up for higher objects etc. I still need to dial in the exact angle but it will be close to this. Screw eyes and the drip line hose will create the channels for the tendon lines. They will be long but should not loose grip due to the drip line sleeves.

More work and hopefully some fabrication tomorrow night.
    10 Days Left
    From
    Farnborough, UK
    Mar 22, 2017, 5:53 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #95

Wow! Great project and a fun read too. Good luck hitting the deadline DrscifiProps.
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Mar 22, 2017, 11:16 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #96

Made another part run during lunch. This time to the local hobby store. I had the thought that a turnbuckle would be good to have in the finger control cables. This way I can make it two cables with a tensioner instead of one long cable from finger tip to finger tip. Less room for error and I can replace part of it if needed.

I found these tiny Traxxas wheel struts. They are tiny turnbuckles and perfect for this application. One side is adjustable up to 1/2 an inch. I can pop out the bearings and have a solid ring to tie the control line to.

I also found some thin foam packaging at work that was being tossed out. I want to loop this into a cylinder and stuff the elastic tubes on the shoulders and hips for more rigidity.

A full night in the garage to be sure.

9 Days left
  22. RPF Premium Member karmajay's Avatar
    From
    Wendell, NC
    Mar 23, 2017, 9:13 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #97

Your countdown in your updates keeps freaking me out!
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Mar 24, 2017, 6:25 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #98

Very productive today. Spent about 8 hours on K2 tonight.

I'm modding a Nerf gun to use as his blaster, keeping it light.

I removed the internal mechanisms, and the trigger. I'll later slice off the top arm and add a scope. This blaster is cool in that it has a detachable barrel. I'll keep that added part with the orange safety tip. But the rest will be black for closed area photo shoots.

Started to template out the puppet plates.

This was the trickiest angle to get right. I needed K2's arms to be in a natural position when I have my hands in a natural position. But also be able to fully extend them if I want to.

Working on mounting the finger tendon guide tube to the puppet plate.

Most of my work tonight was on the hands. I added some extra pipe to the core structure T joints. Drilled out the 4 finger holes and sanded them to the proper size with my dremel.

A test fit of the finger material.

I cut out all of the right hand finger pieces and wired up another finger. Only 4 more fingers to wire. These are turning out straighter and faster than my first attempts.

Got the digital version of Rogue One on Amazon. So watched that in the background while working. Pausing frequently for more screen shots.

Just look at this beautiful picture of K2's back!

Loosely ran the tendon cord down one finger for testing. The elastic will also run down the inside with the whole thing capped with 2mm foam.

Cut all of the 10 tendon guide tubes so they can stretch out and straighten before installation.

Finished finger holes.

I also extended the bicep piece. Top is old length, bottom is new.

Can't wait to meet you K-2SO.

8 Days Left
    Mar 24, 2017, 1:03 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #99

8 days good sir...i wish you the best. I'm falling behind on my builds..probably because i'm reading yours
  25. RPF Premium Member Mechanized2400's Avatar
    From
    Dallas, TX
    Mar 24, 2017, 1:36 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #100

You're a beast! This is some amazing work, indeed.

Loving this build