Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Dec 30, 2016, 3:54 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #26

Jesuit24 said: View Post
    Been back to this thread a few times since I've found it. I may try a suit build once I've figured out cost and just what I'm getting myself into. What was your plan for your upper arms? For a puppet head version, your arms are low of K2's shoulders.

Were you planning on having your arms visible or making the shoulder joint larger to accommodate?
    It's hard to see in the overlays. But the plan was to have my arms inside his. My elbow becomes his shoulder and my wrist becomes his elbow. His torso would be larger accommodate me inside. Overall he was pushing 9' with the movie one being 7'2"
    Dec 30, 2016, 6:17 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #27

So you'd raise the overall torso height to fit your head in. Did you have a plan for altering your shoulder pivot point to accommodate that? If the shoulder pivots from your human elbow, then there will be a lot of extra K2 shoulder sticking out from the body when you move. Here's a picture of what I mean (faint lines are rough original k2 dimensions, dashed lines are proposed changes):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161231_000813.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	5.67 MB 
ID:	694245
    (shoulder pivot point arrows should be pointing to the human elbows, not the human shoulders but I realised this after drawing it)
    Or were you planning on keeping the original shoulder height but giving the upper torso line a sharper bend? (red line)
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Jan 1, 2017, 3:34 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #28

Jesuit24 said: View Post
    So you'd raise the overall torso height to fit your head in. Did you have a plan for altering your shoulder pivot point to accommodate that? If the shoulder pivots from your human elbow, then there will be a lot of extra K2 shoulder sticking out from the body when you move. Here's a picture of what I mean (faint lines are rough original k2 dimensions, dashed lines are proposed changes):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161231_000813.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	5.67 MB 
ID:	694245
    (shoulder pivot point arrows should be pointing to the human elbows, not the human shoulders but I realised this after drawing it)
    Or were you planning on keeping the original shoulder height but giving the upper torso line a sharper bend? (red line)
    I was planning on using black fabric to hide my arm and have it in his shoulder below the normal pivot point. That point in his shoulder would be connected to a swivel but my arm would manipulate it. At the end of the day you just have to mess with some proportions to get everything to fit.
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Jan 1, 2017, 3:58 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #29

Happy New Year! It is the year of K-2SO.

Almost all of the supplies I have ordered have arrived. I got my KidzLabs "Robotic" hands. These will serve as the base for K2's hands. I need to beef up the fingers and extend them in foam. I mostly got this because of the price and it provides these great flexible fingers with channels for wires. I've also ordered some clear plastic tubing to run my paracord through to keep it from scratching on a turn.

The 1" pvc pipe will go into the palm of the hand for rigidity.

Overall they are small but I think I can beef them up to K2 size. Which I still have to figure out what that size is.

FOAM! My foam order from TNT Cosplay Supply arrived. I've unrolled the 2'x5' sheets so they can flatten and air out the foam smell.

I ordered a 10mm for beefy parts, making the joint pucks etc. three 8mm sheets for the skin and a 2mm sheet for detail and raised work.

TNT Cosplay Supply will send you thickness swatches for free. This was very helpful in choosing what thickness I wanted to order. Here you can also see my design notebook, chock full of K-2SO drawings, and the Rouge One Visual Dictionary, also helpful.

With no garage I constantly have to set up and tear down my workspace, but you do what you have to do.

This extended vacation weekend I took over my daughters unused room.

On New Years eve I was able to have K2 take his first steps into a larger world. I still need to practice a lot but the fact that the torso is supported by the chest harness and his legs move in the manner I wanted them to is incredible! I took off the neck and arms for this test as the feet were the focus. The pvc frame has a good amount of rigidity but also flexes where I need it to. Once the full skeleton is complete I want to film walking and moving around in a dark room to focus on the white pvc.

I'm still shooting for a 2 week build, and even if I don't hit that deadline it will push the project forward.
    Happy New Year, now go see Rouge One again!

-Darren
    From
    Oslo, Norway
    Jan 1, 2017, 4:32 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #30

Wow, that's amazing!
  6. Coldhands RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Midwest
    Jan 1, 2017, 6:28 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #31

I love the action shot!
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Jan 1, 2017, 7:03 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #32

Sundowner said: View Post
    I love the action shot!
    I need to find a big treadmill I can shoot video on.
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Jan 4, 2017, 12:42 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #33

Assembled the arm pieces. A few screws into the slip ring shoulder to secure the 1-1/4" to 1" reduction. Then my plan for the spider joints paid off. Running a 2" bolt through the joint lets the elbow turn about 45*. So this allows K2 to touch his hands together and bend out about a foot or so. The "wrists" or forearm can also twist 45* allowing the hands to move between upright and palms down. This coupled with the shoulder spider joint which lets the arm reach new angles gives K2 quite a bit of mobility.

Clamped the 1-1/4" coupler in a vise to hacksaw it into two pieces. The thin ring will stop the hip joint from moving. The thicker ring will become the end cap I can remove to remove the whole leg for transport or storage.

Seeing the two rings that will hold the hip slip ring in place.

Screwing the pipe together. I didn't use pipe glue as the reduction left some gaps the glue wouldn't fill.

Added these 4 screws to each arm "shoulder"

Ran the 2" bolt through the spider joint gaps.

OMG OMG OMG, I found the best site, http://www.templatemaker.nl has several adjustable templates you can use to make paper boxes, stars, carriers and CONES! K-2SO has some cones that would be tricky to convert onto the foam but this helped immensely. I could add a margin to the pdf or even have it include measurement guides. This will allow me to transfer these templates to my foam directly.

This template will be for the shallow but wide cone that makes up the shoulder.

Shoulder

Next I made the little cone that the neck stalk plugs into.

Neck

But this is where I got really excited. K2's forearms are 4" wide at the elbow and 3" wide at the wrist, and will be 15" long. This is just a very tall narrow cone! I seriously can't say enough about this cone calculator. It has been SO helpful

Arm

I've made myself a nested checklist in todoist to keep the remaining tasks on track. Broken into categories like "Head/Neck", "Torso", "Harness/Stand" and so on. I'll keep working daily on this project. Almost all of my supplies are in hand, including the 1/8" aquarium tubing which I will use to guide the tendons of K2's hand to the control glove. But I'll need to get thinner tendon wire as the paracord I got is too thick.

I'm still pondering a mid January deadline as there I an event I want to take K2 to, but I'm not going to rush him, but he will be done in the next few months none the less.

Happy making.

-Darren
    From
    Wendell, NC
    Jan 4, 2017, 7:54 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #34

That walk looked great! Looked pretty accurate although the body did look like it should be leaning a bit more forward. That will probably be resolved when you work on the upper body!
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Jan 5, 2017, 3:49 PM - ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #35

Picked up the K-2SO big fig yesterday. 31" tall.
    He's at 1:2.75 ish scale and functioning as good verification of the dimensions I pulled off of the Black Series figure.
    Also handy for detailed shots of the back and feet.
    Last edited by DrscifiProps; Jan 5, 2017 at 10:09 PM.
  11. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    Jan 6, 2017, 1:30 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #36

I registered here just because of you man. I want to make a K-2SO too myself. I'll love to see finished your work. May the force be with you!
    Jan 7, 2017, 11:15 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #37

Subscribed! I am wanting to make a K-2SO too myself. I am loving your attention to details and the approach that you are using to tackle this. Watching with much interest.
    For your current setup, how many spider joints are you using?
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Jan 7, 2017, 11:23 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #38

Bluecow said: View Post
    Subscribed! I am wanting to make a K-2SO too myself. I am loving your attention to details and the approach that you are using to tackle this. Watching with much interest.
    For your current setup, how many spider joints are you using?
    Glad your enjoying the build.

One kit from the Halloween store I posted about. 9 total spider joints.
    2x shoulders
    2x elbows
    2x knees
    2x ankles
    1x connection point

Here's a link to the kit I bought. http://www.spiderhillpropworks.com/S...-Kit_p_19.html
    Last edited by DrscifiProps; Jan 7, 2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: updating with url
  14. RPF Premium Member
    Jan 8, 2017, 1:13 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #39

I love this build.
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Jan 8, 2017, 3:06 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #40

asavage said: View Post
    I love this build.
    Thanks Adam, big admirer of your work, I just watched your Tested video tour of the Thunderbirds Weta Workshop exhibit. Now I have yet another reason to visit New Zealand.
    -Darren
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Jan 8, 2017, 3:35 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #41

Before I forget, here is a link to the public flickr album holding all of my images from these posts and a collection of reference images i've found. Might be useful.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/836452...57666586188843

Today was about securing the pipe together. Lots of self tapping screws. This images shows the top of the left leg being secured to the 1-1/4" reduction piece and the 1" pipe inside it.

Several screws were placed in the "T" joint at the neck. I also extended the arm pipe by 1" to a total of 7" from "T" coupler to the shoulder spider joint. This is to balance out his arm proportions some as his arms were hanging over his legs and should be more apart than that.

Plugged 4 screws into the coupler and pipe for the hips, this piece cannot fail or his lower half would fall off. For the spider joint I put two screws in the side slots in such a way so it cannot turn. Repeated that for the shoulder joints and will do the same for the knees. Still deciding on the ankles as I may want his feet to be able to twist slightly but we will see.

Here you can see the inner stop secured for the hip slip ring, and many screws in the hip "T" connector.

I also made another Home Depot run, (shocker) for hand parts. Picked up 30 3/4" hinges and a metal carpet edge plate. I plan on cutting it into finger segments, encased in foam. Perhaps I will use my mini bungie cords for the open hand pulling force. The inner pulling force will come from the nylon cord running through 1/4" aquarium tubing down to my puppeteering hands.

I'm guessing a little with the finger lengths but I will mock it up and draw it full size on paper first before making cuts.

I calculated the size and quantity of the joint foam pucks I will need. And found someone who will let me use their bandsaw. The joints will be comprised of 3 slices each. The center puck is always 40mm as that matches the width of the spider joint. This one will be trimmed to different portions of a circle depending on the angle the joint needs to move.

All of my puck slices are devisable by 10mm increments as the foam I'm using to make them will be layers of 10mm foam.

The knee is the largest, I won't tell you how long I stared at images of K2 to determine if his elbow joint rings and knee joint rings were the same size or not. ..... (at least an hour). So now I just need to make my square blanks of the right thicknesses and then cut the pucks. Some will have the center cut out for the hollow illusion. Using 2" and 2.5" round mirrors to make them seem like the hole goes deeper (all the way through) than it really does.

You can see in the lower left corner the trimming of the center puck will allow the joint to flex but not move too far. I plan on adding pairs of stoppers to the joints to make sure they don't exceed the angle I want them at. This will keep me from crushing the foam arms against themselves. I found 3/4" rubber ends that normally go under equipment to make them not slide on a table. These will be screwed to the spider joints, one on the flat part of the joint and the other on the end of the turning curve. (I know, an image would explain it better, I'll get one installed and photograph it soon.)

Funds are a little dry at the moment but that won't stop progress as I have almost all of my materials already. My next step is to finalize the leg foam dimensions, make some paper templates, then cut the eva foam mounting disks for the leg pvc and glue it all together. I also need to finalize the foot.

I can't proceed on the arms until I dial in the hand dimensions and figure out how my puppeteering handles attach exactly.

Thank you everyone for taking a look at my build. Ask me any questions you like, I do plan on posting final dimensions and a parts list at the end.

-Darren
    (K-2SO Maker)
  17. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Naperville, IL
    Jan 8, 2017, 8:56 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #42

This is incredible! I love the spider joint system. Also love watching your thought process and organization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Naperville, IL
    Jan 8, 2017, 9:53 AM - ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #43

I've been looking for a good solution for displaying an ewok I built. I'm excited to see that the spider joints come in a version for a 3' tall option.

From
    West Virginia
    Jan 12, 2017, 9:04 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #44

this is so thorough,thanks for putting up so many progress pics and build details. I feel like if i ever get the courage and free time then ill add this build to my growing list of projects for 2017
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Jan 12, 2017, 10:07 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #45

cckaiser2 said: View Post
    I've been looking for a good solution for displaying an ewok I built. I'm excited to see that the spider joints come in a version for a 3' tall option.

Yeah! They are a great supplier. I could not do this project without those spider joints.
    From
    North Hollywood
    Jan 14, 2017, 1:27 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #46

Hey, just wanted to say this is a great thread! Very happy to see you decided to make a puppet of K2, best of luck with the build, can't wait to see him finished!
    Jan 14, 2017, 5:59 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #47

You sure are marking some fast progress! Keep going we are all excited to see how this goes!
    From
    1 Hour from Disneyland
    Jan 15, 2017, 12:11 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #48

As you can imagine K-2SO is a big star around our household. I didn't know he was such a good dancer. My little girl calls the 31" big fig, baby K-2SO and the one i'm working on the Daddy K-2SO.

My little boy is not quite as tall as the 31" big fig but he's getting there.

I found a new source of K2 images from an ABC story on the making of Rogue One. Watch Here

But it has great images of the texture, color and weathering of the droid. This picture shows how the base of his neck cone is much wider than I first though.

As well as a one tone cg model.

Which is animated to show some joint movement.

This close up on a elbow joint is very helpful.

There are also clips of Alan using robotic hand extensions while on set. These hand details are great!

It's going to be ok.

So I started work on the feet and ankles, working from the ground up as it were. I had a roll of this transparent cover but the best part was the half inch grid on the back. I can put my foam templates right on it, cut the out and transfer to the foam for cutting.

I also redid some of my dimensions based off of the 31" big fig as it feels more balanced and accurate. K2's foot is 11.5" long.

Cut out the template.

Transferred to some leftover shop floor foam. This has diamond plate on the bottom for some extra wear and tear on the bottom of his feet. This is 1/2" foam.

Marked drill points. Be careful as a drill goes through foam like butter.

Remember that this is just the main base of the foot, the forward toe shell will add a few inches and width to the foot.

I trimmed some of my diving fin to let the future foam layers fit.

I also cut out some of the fin. Only a little bit for now, I want to wait until the whole thing is walking before removing more to be safe.

The ankle joint fits well and is the correct hight off the floor.

I made templates for the layer above and below the ankle joint puck. These will be made out of 2 layers of 8mm foam each. I'll cut a hole in the middle and glue them onto the pipe/spider joint directly.

I also went over a lot of my dimensions again. I needed to take 4" total out of the legs and add it to the torso. Basically move his hips lower.

I reworked the puck joint dimensions a little and am happy with there proportion to each-other now.
    I hope to get the feet finished this weekend and perhaps all of my joint pucks in the next few days. Then I'll skin the legs and be ready to work on the torso.

Keep on building

-Darren
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Jan 15, 2017, 9:48 AM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #49

I'm really loving this build and can't wait to see how it looks when it's done. Thank you for that link, and all the details that you're putting into this. It's very interesting, and will be a huge help if I ever end up making something like this (it's on my list, but I have other stuff that needs to get done first!).
    From
    Alabang, P.I.
    Jan 15, 2017, 11:26 PM - Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build #50

your build process is great! i'm quite positive the final outcome will be awesome. thanks for posting all the details.