Star Wars Battlefront: Phase Zero Dark trooper

Bumping for any updates - Dying to know if this got assembled after painting!

Hey Rockit the project is still alive and kicking I'm just a bit busy with a contract at the moment :) The armour is painted and with the guy who will be wearing it (see earlier posts) the jet pack's in primer and I'm thinking I'm going to do just a bit more adjusting on the helmet. It's really close but I just want to round out the helmet more and shift the mic tips to get a better representation of the helmet from all angles.

As soon as I get a window I'll finish off painting and put the suit together stay tuned!

Hey Rockit the project is still alive and kicking I'm just a bit busy with a contract at the moment :) The armour is painted and with the guy who will be wearing it (see earlier posts) the jet pack's in primer and I'm thinking I'm going to do just a bit more adjusting on the helmet. It's really close but I just want to round out the helmet more and shift the mic tips to get a better representation of the helmet from all angles.

As soon as I get a window I'll finish off painting and put the suit together stay tuned!

Awesome! Glad to hear it's still coming along. Looking forward to seeing it.

The only major critique I have for the helmet is the vocoder portion (the chin) it's less angular at the bottom, I if you look at some of my old threads I know I have a decent reference of the front of the helmet. Otherwise I'm digging it. The 3d model I used from the game, when ran through pepakura, has the internal portion for the shoulder bell, which helps to keep it sitting properly. I'd look into doing that too, or at least making an insert to pad it out. It shouldn't be sitting as it is in the test fit.

The only major critique I have for the helmet is the vocoder portion (the chin) it's less angular at the bottom, I if you look at some of my old threads I know I have a decent reference of the front of the helmet. Otherwise I'm digging it. The 3d model I used from the game, when ran through pepakura, has the internal portion for the shoulder bell, which helps to keep it sitting properly. I'd look into doing that too, or at least making an insert to pad it out. It shouldn't be sitting as it is in the test fit.

Hey Chris thanks for the feedback! I'll have another look at the vocoder. I don't really have a good reference pic so I'll double check your thread.

Is that internal part of the shoulder bell for underneath? That's a cool idea I'll look into that :) I was thinking aluminium strip riveted to the shoulder bell and the chest or back

hey all wow I have finally found time to get back to this project. I've given the jetpack a basic paintjob. I'm trying to decide when it needs weathering or not. I'm tempted to leave it clean for now maybe add some life to it after a test run

anyway only got the helmet to finish now. I am going to revisit the bucket shape and some of the faceplate details and then I'll hopefully be able to build finish this beast

20170914_134700.jpg20170914_134721.jpg20170914_134753.jpg

the pics are a bit crap but you get the idea. OK as always C and C welcome!

hey all wow I have finally found time to get back to this project. I've given the jetpack a basic paintjob. I'm trying to decide when it needs weathering or not. I'm tempted to leave it clean for now maybe add some life to it after a test run

anyway only got the helmet to finish now. I am going to revisit the bucket shape and some of the faceplate details and then I'll hopefully be able to build finish this beast

View attachment 758583View attachment 758584View attachment 758585

the pics are a bit crap but you get the idea. OK as always C and C welcome!

That looks sick man. Glad to see you're still pushing through with it. I should probably bug you for a set after all this is over and done with

That looks sick man. Glad to see you're still pushing through with it. I should probably bug you for a set after all this is over and done with

Thanks man I can't decide whether to weather the jetpack and armour. I want it to look more real world than it is at the moment but then again I don't want to over do it either!
It's hopefully going for a test drive next month I'll post pics

The REALLY good news is the helmet is done and in primers and I've started painting the details in. Overall I'm pretty happy with the result. Seeing the helmet as a real world object and not on screen is cool the helmet is very bulldog and some people reckon it's a bit predator-like.

I'd love to sort you out with a suit Chris! Maybe you could make a hybrid with your existing pieces?

Thanks man I can't decide whether to weather the jetpack and armour. I want it to look more real world than it is at the moment but then again I don't want to over do it either!
It's hopefully going for a test drive next month I'll post pics

The REALLY good news is the helmet is done and in primers and I've started painting the details in. Overall I'm pretty happy with the result. Seeing the helmet as a real world object and not on screen is cool the helmet is very bulldog and some people reckon it's a bit predator-like.

I'd love to sort you out with a suit Chris! Maybe you could make a hybrid with your existing pieces?

Personally, I'd do a light weathering, perhaps a light black wash, but nothing extreme. The bitmap suggests a little bit of weathering at least for the jetpack, but the rest of the trooper has always appeared just a glossy/clean color, but that also may be dependent on whether or not you're looking to go for 501st approval, in which case it might need to stay relatively clean

I guess the real question I should ask is just how big these pieces are lol. I'm 6'7" and around 360lbs currently, so that would come into play. I do have a handful of pieces left over from my project, but I'd probably need to source a few components. Funny thing though, I did acquire a clone butt plate from some random person, but the thing is built like it was made for me...

yeah that's a good question! I remember from your original build thread here that you had to resize the chest and backplate so that might be a thing. The abplate and lower back/ butt plate you could always widen with a shim. The great thing is you've got to paint it so there's plenty of room for bog and sanding. Legs might be a thing too :)

But yeah I agree as far as I can tell you've got a great frame for this suit you would tower over a regular tk :O.

501st approval may happen there's been some interest in a crl but that was a while ago who knows?

yeah that's a good question! I remember from your original build thread here that you had to resize the chest and backplate so that might be a thing. The abplate and lower back/ butt plate you could always widen with a shim. The great thing is you've got to paint it so there's plenty of room for bog and sanding. Legs might be a thing too :)

But yeah I agree as far as I can tell you've got a great frame for this suit you would tower over a regular tk :O.

501st approval may happen there's been some interest in a crl but that was a while ago who knows?

What's your height/build if you don't mind me asking? I know I could re-hash some clone parts and what not. I think my biggest issue really are my legs, as those are the tallest parts.

As for the 501st, way back when I had high hopes of getting this done, it was in my mind to get the CRL produced. The darktrooper, in this form, appears in 3 forms of media; the game (obviously), Essential Guide to Warfare (where it was retconned into "legends canon") and then a mini-figure/game piece.

So all the elements are there for approval, per legion's rules. Just a matter of getting the suit finished and completing a CRL for it.

I'm 6ft but skinny so I'm a crap fit for this suit. My mate who is modelling it is maybe 5'10" but broad with thick arms and legs and he's a really good fit for the armour. Yeah I reckon you'd be best off recycling your armour pieces you have that work for you I could potentially fill in the gaps.

There's a thread here:

http://forum.501stspecopsdet.net/in...tlefront-phase-0-darktrooper/page__pid__61362

It's got a bit of traction with the crl maybe you could get involved given you knowledge of the suit and the process :)

And yeah it's funny I know I've said this before but I reckon a good design like this will eventually see the light of day you may yet be wearing on of these bad boys!

Wow, the jetpack looks so great! As for weathering I'd give it a light pass or none at all.
So excited to see more now, glad you're pushing on with finishing and keeping us updated.

That looks sweet! Makes me want a Darktrooper back in Battlefront (the good shotgunny BF1 version). I loved flying up and blasting someone in the face. It also scared the crap out of people judging by comms. :lol

Wow, the jetpack looks so great! As for weathering I'd give it a light pass or none at all.
So excited to see more now, glad you're pushing on with finishing and keeping us updated.

Thanks Rockit yeah I agree. At this stage I'm taking the nothing option :) I might test drive it first then have a go at some weathering.

Yeah I've had a big break on this but that made it easier to come back to with a critical eye. I think I'm pretty close. It's going to be interesting to put it all together. The armour is in a different city at the moment :O

- - - Updated - - -

That looks sweet! Makes me want a Darktrooper back in Battlefront (the good shotgunny BF1 version). I loved flying up and blasting someone in the face. It also scared the crap out of people judging by comms. :lol

Ha ha yeah I remember the first time I saw it in the game I was like "what the hell just happened!" But I just keep coming back to the design of the armour. I think it's a really good extension/ elaboration of a TK (better than those first order troopers IMO)

ok finally finished the bucket and took a few pics. Overall I'm pretty happy with the result it definitely looks like a dark trooper. I think I captured the feel of the helmet more or less. He clearly looks pissed off about something and that's definitely the vibe of this suit :) Next step is to do a quick and dirty rig for the armour and take some more shots at an upcoming convention. I've taken some pics in lower light. It's amazing the difference changing the angle and the light makes to this helmet

20171013_133723.jpg20171013_133833.jpg20171013_133858.jpg20171013_133921.jpg

20171013_133839.jpg

Can't wait to put it next to some stormtrooper types should be interesting. I'll post more pics after the convention. Thanks everyone for the feedback and following this thread so far!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back