Star Wars Battlefront: Phase Zero Dark trooper

more pics! Managed to smash out the flare and finish up the bucket (mostly). These buggers are ready for a prototype to see what happens. The forms line up nicely they should work fine

20160707_162054%20640x470_zpsmvdh9rmg.jpg

20160707_161956%20640x437_zpsxmsgam6g.jpg

20160707_161922%20640x505_zpsjpkbqgwa.jpg

The idea is that I can trim the excess off each piece and they should glue nicely.

Next up: faceplate!

hey all small update. I grabbed an old casting that I had handy from my stormtrooper helmet mold to use as a base for the darktrooper face plate. First thing to do was to cut a profile to match to and measure up the width of the helmet. The bottom of the faceplate is about 265mm across (where the mic tips sit) so I cut off the jaw, cut it in half and added a spacer to widen it by about 20mm.

Then I re-attached I to the faceplate.

Then I had a laugh because it looks so weird! But the angles are right so it's a work in progress :)

I managed to pull a couple of pieces; chest and backplate. The chest plate needs a little more work and I need to add a bit more material to the bottom. Man it's a bit piece.

The backpack I forgot to vent the OII detail so it didn't read. So I'll redo that one again soon.

Overall though the pieces look good and I think they will sit right on abplate. I'll make some adjustments and do a test fit.

20160708_100731%20640x526_zps9mqhntmk.jpg

20160708_100739%20469x640_zpsngvinthe.jpg

20160708_100813%20360x640_zpsvn2qm9vw.jpg

20160708_115812%20640x435_zpsgglyj4sq.jpg

lol
20160708_115805%20640x495_zpsjlf494e2.jpg

20160708_154730%20640x579_zpsn9pinxuf.jpg

20160708_154739%20640x575_zpsv8wjzz5v.jpg

That does look very odd! Haha. You're breezing through this though, it would have taken me ages to get where you are now. :)

That does look very odd! Haha. You're breezing through this though, it would have taken me ages to get where you are now. :)

thanks Tk yeah it's so weird looking but it will make more sense once I've bulked it out :) Having some pre-cast forms has sped things up massively rather than going from scratch

Do you need to remake backplate when you have a jumppack on it anyway?

But helmet looks awsome, but it realy will be huge! I thout it is just slighty modyfied sormtrooper helmet but it seems is more diffrent, still it looks good. ;)

Do you need to remake backplate when you have a jumppack on it anyway?

But helmet looks awsome, but it realy will be huge! I thout it is just slighty modyfied sormtrooper helmet but it seems is more diffrent, still it looks good. ;)

Yeah that's a good point delta it goes get covered by the jetpack. I might have to flatten the boxes so they are flush with the back box.

The helmets a big bugger! I think there's enough 'stormtrooper' in the helmet to make it worth modifying a casting rather than sculpting from scratch. I'll try and get more of the faceplate fleshed out next week so it looks less weird :)

Took me 7 years before I decided to shelve my own personal build :(

Well you never know fulla you might dust it off one day. It's a great time to be a SW fan and the armour still stands up in my opinion :)

One of the reasons I've been able to move fairly quickly through the armour is power tools!!! I had a bit of time off between contracts recently so I got out my electric plane, an angle grinder, belt sander and a power file and just attacked big lumps of wood with them. After that is was just a case of bog and incredibly repetitive sanding that we all know so well.

ok bit of an update. I've begun roughing out the faceplate a bit more. Still no side tubes yet but I've managed to put together the bucket so I can line up the tubes correctly.

20160712_165456%20640x407_zpslaaeyodc.jpg

The faceplate is starting to look like it should. I need to adjust the angle of the eyes a bit more and there's a bit of straightening to do here and there. I'm happy with the bucket I think I've got that very close to my reference, it might need a bit more curvature on the top we'll see. But the flare underneath lines up nicely the it looks good. It's a great help for me to line up the faceplate properly before I lock it off.

20160712_165316%20640x516_zpsfpv07ddo.jpg

The helmet it huge! ( I know I keep saying that). But the tricky part of making this faceplate is allowing for the plastic thickness from vac forming. So everything needs to a bit thinner than it should be so it finishes off about right. But of course that means it never looks right when you're sculpting. Probably need a couple of goes to get this right,

20160712_165617%20640x455_zpsal9mpmxk.jpg

20160712_165646%20640x496_zpssiwam6re.jpg

I also pulled a few more test pieces to see how things worked. Pretty good overall, a bunch of lumps and bumps to sort out but nothing major. The only issues I had were getting the jet pack off the form. There was no easy way to do it I had to cut the pack to lift it off; bit of a bummer but all those straight lines make it near impossible to get it off without easing the plastic somewhere. Still overall the jet pack is looking good nice clean lines it'll be fun to build and paint up.

I made a couple of small tweaks to the nipple-bolt and the details on the jetpack central block thing.

20160712_165428%20640x474_zps9dmeuaxc.jpg

I'll take some less crap shots soon once I've got a full suit together. School holidays now so chances of any updates for the next wee bit is bugger all :)

Anyway critique is welcome if you see something I'm missing sing out
Cheers
oota

Wow! Looking very good! So the jump pack is hard to vacuum form? Have you thought about possibly rotocasting it?

Wow! Looking very good! So the jump pack is hard to vacuum form? Have you thought about possibly rotocasting it?

Hey TK not really mate I reckon it would be too heavy. Glass is another option but I really want to make the entire suit from the same material. I'll keep mucking around with the form see what I can come up with.

But yeah overall I think it's heading in the right direction :)

The helmet is looking great, you make it all look so easy :)

I was going to say the same about you! The armour and bucket have been pretty straight forward so far but there's a bit of finishing to do to get all the forms finished properly.

The faceplate is definitely going to be trial and error though I really need to see how it's going to look under plastic and much more material to add or subtract to get the right look.

Thanks for feedback you fullas

Hey all small update made a bit of progress with the faceplate. It's pretty close to how it's going to look now. I had to really widen the side tubes heaps and I've shifted the tears. I've still got the respirator thing to go and then I'll do a test pull.

I've had to allow for the plastic to wrap round some of the details so the eyes and the tears etc etc are a bit bigger than they need to be.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it's looking it'll be interesting to see how close to the game model it looks :)

20160726_141402%20640x486_zpsj7po7vnx.jpg

20160726_141354%20640x515_zpsmeuoskqt.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back