Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Mint Thermostat Found 04/06/21**

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 11

It would be great to find the model of dishwasher (and/or other appliances) that accepts this part and maybe a schematic from an old repair manual that shows where it goes.

Dollars to donuts you'll find other mystery greeblies also. I doubt there was only one donor bit from that appliance.

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 11

Just ordered two thermostats from the turkish website...it´s a gamble, since I don´t know if they ship intl.

Thank god for google translator :lol !

Just ordered two thermostats from the turkish website...it´s a gamble, since I don´t know if they ship intl.

Thank god for google translator :lol !

Oh you were successful? I had been told by a few people that they were not able to even place an order

Dollars to donuts you'll find other mystery greeblies also. I doubt there was only one donor bit from that appliance.

Possible but seeing as there were around 20 of these things used throughout ESB I doubt they disassembled that many dishwashers. They probably just found a pile of them in a box junk shop.

Possible but seeing as there were around 20 of these things used throughout ESB I doubt they disassembled that many dishwashers. They probably just found a pile of them in a box junk shop.

I have to agree that these were likely spare parts they acquired in some form of bulk quantity. Sure, it may certainly help to identify the actual dishwasher make/model, but I feel that there actually may be multiple models that uses this particular thermostat, given how we've found these in different locations

Oh you were successful? I had been told by a few people that they were not able to even place an order

Was complicated, ut I received an order confirmation. We will see if they ship to Germany

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk research***ON HAND!!!***

Alright well, here's what I know.

I still don't know what appliance/machine it's used for. It's likely for something large, like a boiler or large dryer, and some signs pointing towards even an oven. All I do know is that it's some type of thermostat piece. There's a multitude of these things out there, but these are obviously unique by it's triple-dot design AND it's size. This may also be referred to as a "klixon." While Klixon IS a brand, it's also seemingly used as a generic term- like the use of 'band-aide," so my usual search terms included at least the combination of "thermostat" and "klixon"

The ones I found in South Africa was through a listing on "BidorBuy," which is best described as SA's version of Ebay, with one of the 2 nearly identical listings looking like this.

View attachment 823307

So there were 2 separate listings, with at least 2 of the desired pieces in each lot, totaling 4. These are clearly older or have been through a lot of use. While the metal portion is easy to clean, the rear plastic portions are quite dirty. I am pretty certain that the white portion on the rear is actually a ceramic material. RS Cracked one open and this possible ceramic portion was formed into the inside of the metal disc portion.

View attachment 823303

Here, you can read the markings. It's a 2a 250V part. The portion that is not clear is the "Vebe-SpA-ITALIA." Of course, the "ITALIA" leads me to believe this particular piece was of Italian origin. "Vebe" appears to be an actual company producing some type of testing equipment. "SpA" doesn't give me any results other than resort listings. Of course, there's the patent number- 123946, which has not yielded any significant results when searching patent databases

View attachment 823304

Also something to note, the sequence of stamped letters (from the inside) are different. They are each:

EV1500 NA 40 60 2/73
EV1500 NA 34 60 9/74

While it's just my speculation, I feel the final series of numbers are the actual manufacture date, so the first one being made in February 1973 and the 2nd being September 1974, and if so, would put these at 45 years old!

View attachment 823305

View attachment 823306

I do want to add this, as I did another search, and came across THIS Ebay sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eaton-9160...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

No, I didn't buy it, but perhaps someone here did ;) It looks that way as the seller had re-listed this very thing multiple times...and was just sold on June 6th. But what's different here is that this seems to be made much more recently. The company "Eaton" appears to prominently produce electric components in the 80s. I haven't done a deep dive yet, but this at least confirms there's been at least 2 manufacturers of this piece at 2 different points in time, which means it may still be possible to locate more. That one in the ebay listing is clearly unused and in perfect shape. The other thing to note here is that according to the listing, this had a patent number of "123948" where the ones we have are "123946," which again, indicates to me that the ebay one is much newer.

So yea, there it is. Goodluck finding them if you can. I will be molding mine regardless to offer up to the community, and I'll post when I do

-TC
That was from literally just down the road from me

I'm looking at my options to get these stamped in metal VS machined. The nature of the details, a machined version would still be more replica than "cast from," simply because you're losing nuance details.

OK, friend of mine is going to 3D scan them for me this weekend, so we should have a functioning 3D model. I'm in talks about getting dies made, so I think we could use the 3D scans to produce a CAD file for that purpose.

A couple more close ups for the detail freaks.
3ef9fa1fca2a39c7604258495ceb398e.jpg
c401437b3d77d1d09ff55456f174c272.jpg
6658ac4e93a796f1a25af59095628331.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great pics! Can you transcribe the text on the back? I can read some of it, but not all.

Makes sense... awesome find!

I'm pretty sure these were used on Giger's ALIEN suit as well. Pic of a toy because I couldn't find good online references:

View attachment 824534

...these are also found on the Alien environmental helmets ;)

BTW: I received an email from the turkish shop, stating that they received my order, but have to determine shipping charges...fingers crossed. ;)

Last edited:

Unfortunately the 3d scanning this weekend didn't work out well, but that was more due to technical difficulties, so going to see if someone else can get them 3d scanned

Unfortunately the 3d scanning this weekend didn't work out well, but that was more due to technical difficulties, so going to see if someone else can get them 3d scanned

Chris aka Field Marshall could do it and would surely be able to offer affordable metal discs for the prop-community :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back