Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Mint Thermostat Found 04/06/21**

tubachris85x

Master Member
I know there's not really been any advancement on this part identification, but I'd like to at least establish another research thread.

So far I've searched through:

- Old/vintage water pumps (caps/plates/seals/covers)
- water "tri-gate" covers, but probably too small
- Knockout plugs/seals, general and aircraft search (closer to what it might be)
- aircraft Instrument gauge backplates or covers
- vintage candy cans, containers, cases
- Rolls Royce aircraft engines (sans merlin and gremlin)
- WW2 Era aircraft parts
- Battery holders (like for watch battery sizes)
- Medicinal purposes
- Spring retaining cap/cover
- Transistor holder/plate (of some kind)
- Norelco/phillips razor related searches (unlikely as the packaging has been flat or open and these would more than likely be too large for this piece)

Probably a lot more than I can actually remember.

I'm at the point now where I think it's better suited we focus on the probable function that this piece had. It's clearly formed to cover and or hold a 3 piece circular object. I'm still leaning toward something mechanically related.

Too add, I think that since it has a large-outer "lip" suggests to me that it's placed into a slot from the inside-out, leaving that formed 3-circle detail to be exposed

Alternatively, I'm curious to identify what the technical process or name is for adding this notch is? I think identifying that aspect of the part would push us closer to discovering it's real function, as perhaps that added feature is served for a specific area of industry.

ab disk notch.png

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:
Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk research

A part of me thinks this is like a focusing apparatus for a lens to a camera. You know, like those old ones with the three lens mount in the front. I would imagine the dimples would be to help lock the lens in place when it's turned. This is all me guessing though.

A part of me thinks this is like a focusing apparatus for a lens to a camera. You know, like those old ones with the three lens mount in the front. I would imagine the dimples would be to help lock the lens in place when it's turned. This is all me guessing though.

Interesting suggestion, I'll look into that!

Kinda looks like apart of a small speaker.

I was also thinking along those lines as well. We know that the Slider Knobs, or the "T"-Greeblies originate from the Uher stereo mixer, so audio equipment used is not out of the realm of possibilities

Since this looks like a hollow or bowl shaped metal piece, are we sure that's not just a dent?

Well sure, the first lower ridge is even bent in, to me that looks like damage to soft metal like alumiunm.

Well sure, the first lower ridge is even bent in, to me that looks like damage to soft metal like alumiunm.

I'm not sure how you think this is simply a "dent." It's clearly a stamped metal piece with a purpose. Never mind the fact that many more of these pieces were used not just else where on other snowtrooper costumes, star wars props, sets, etc. but even on the ALIEN costume and a Nostromo helmet.

These aren't "accidental" pieces

I'm not sure how you think this is simply a "dent." It's clearly a stamped metal piece with a purpose. Never mind the fact that many more of these pieces were used not just else where on other snowtrooper costumes, star wars props, sets, etc. but even on the ALIEN costume and a Nostromo helmet.

Hey man, I was just going by the first post - and I know Star Wars put everything into resin - but the new movies are news to me. Got any pics of the other props? this is really neat.

Is there only one of those notches on it, or are there three or four around the piece?

Hey man, I was just going by the first post - and I know Star Wars put everything into resin - but the new movies are news to me. Got any pics of the other props? this is really neat.

You two are on different pages.

Chris, I believe thd9791 was referring to the notched area as possibly being a dent, NOT implying that the whole shape is some random shape created by dent.

Tumble dryer or washing machine thermostats have a very similar crimp/dent to keep the housing on. I think someone mentioned this years ago but I don't know if it was ever found.

tumble dryer thermostat2.jpg

Yep, thanks guys, sorry for the misunderstanding.

You two are on different pages.

Chris, I believe thd9791 was referring to the notched area as possibly being a dent, NOT implying that the whole shape is some random shape created by dent.

Yep, thanks guys, sorry for the misunderstanding.

My apologies for sounding harsh in my last comment. I was pretty fired up yesterday at the time due to a certain "announcement" on the news...

- - - Updated - - -

Tumble dryer or washing machine thermostats have a very similar crimp/dent to keep the housing on. I think someone mentioned this years ago but I don't know if it was ever found.

This is actually a very plausible idea. I was searching for these last night and overall the basic design is very much like the piece in question. I did further digging and what these are referred to as "Snap Discs"

I am now starting to believe that the piece we're looking for is not an aircraft related piece at all. I have been too focused on WW2 aircraft and rolls-royce parts

That's soooooo easily done though, lol.

The problem with the snap disc/dryer thermostats is that the top portions are clearly very similar to the snowtrooper disc, but need to have "3" terminal/poles, something I cannot seem to find.

The other idea is that this is suppose to be a selector dial/knob. The "emergency" helmet in ALIEN had one of these very same pieces affixed to the side of the helmet. The prop-store photos of the screen used helmet shows that the disc fell off from where it was at some point, leaving a hole at it's center.

This could mean that it had it's own built in threading or bolt that stuck out of the disc itself, which means it was attached to something that very much rotated

After PoopaPoppaPalps mentioned it, had you looked into three-lens-turret cameras at all? Something like this...

ith_Protective_Lid%2C_Circa_1958_%2817685514914%29.jpg

--Jonah

After PoopaPoppaPalps mentioned it, had you looked into three-lens-turret cameras at all? Something like this...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._Protective_Lid,_Circa_1958_(17685514914).jpg

--Jonah

Yes but the problem with that is the piece in question dowant have any holes. Plus the size of the lenses would have to be incredibly small. Only way it'd make sense is if you had a micro size camera with 3 lenses placed symmetrically together

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back