Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Mint Thermostat Found 04/06/21**

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk research***ON HAND!!!***

Like me with the Merr-Sonn scope:

View attachment 822379

From the profile photos of the Model 44 and Power 5 versions, and from Chris Trevas' description of what the end looks like, it's a 4-pin CB/ham radio style plug... But I've never found one like this. Even ones that have the metal shield around the plastic plug (the prop is just spray-painted black). All have the threaded collar to lock the plug in place. All have the cord start coiling without the "kink" to make the whole thing linear, so the cord coils off at right angles (ish) to the plug. I've looked everywhere I can think of, online and off. I've pestered older guys into vintage eloctronics. I've gone through every use of this style of plug I've been able to find, from the time the design was patented on...

And, like the Snowtrooper belt buckle disc, we know it was 99% probably just some random, cheap, off-the-shelf part that got plundered along with everything else in the shop to go into the prop department's grab bin, and no one even thought once about it -- let alone twice.

Funny you should mention this. I just picked up a pile of them last month. More info soon :)
FYI I haven’t found them actually attached to anything but I believe they ARE from vintage microphones (CB or ham).

Like me with the Merr-Sonn scope:

View attachment 822379

From the profile photos of the Model 44 and Power 5 versions, and from Chris Trevas' description of what the end looks like, it's a 4-pin CB/ham radio style plug... But I've never found one like this. Even ones that have the metal shield around the plastic plug (the prop is just spray-painted black). All have the threaded collar to lock the plug in place. All have the cord start coiling without the "kink" to make the whole thing linear, so the cord coils off at right angles (ish) to the plug. I've looked everywhere I can think of, online and off. I've pestered older guys into vintage eloctronics. I've gone through every use of this style of plug I've been able to find, from the time the design was patented on...

And, like the Snowtrooper belt buckle disc, we know it was 99% probably just some random, cheap, off-the-shelf part that got plundered along with everything else in the shop to go into the prop department's grab bin, and no one even thought once about it -- let alone twice.
I used to be a computer tech, so my first thought was an IBM PC 83 key keyboard DIN plug, but that didn't come out until 1981.

Have you looked at old headphones with DIN plugs?
cfdc183be2f26d5474d2838fa16b2617.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
5ced6e02c5ae72faa08eb9c2cfba346e.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 11

you do know that particular info is public now ?

Nope! Not to derail this thread, but can I ask what it is? I found a phonograph stylus box a while back that looked right (wrong color) but failed to buy it.

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 11

While this will be a simple piece to mold/cast, my concern is the wall thickness of the outer-rim of the metal disc portion. In metal, it's fine, cause metal....in resin, however, it's very thin. This means I will need to make it thicker for casting purposes or make it such that that whomever works with them needs to remove the excess material around it. My thought is that if I don't make it thick for the casting, if someone goes to add the rivet detail, you may crack/damage it...I'll be doing cold-cast versions for now though.

Just a thought, but what if you made a plaster of Paris plug and then vacuum formed using HIPS? It would come out very similar to the original part thickness and less likely to crack than resin.

I've done this for radio-controlled airplane parts and it works beautifully.

Just a thought, but what if you made a plaster of Paris plug and then vacuum formed using HIPS? It would come out very similar to the original part thickness and less likely to crack than resin.

I've done this for radio-controlled airplane parts and it works beautifully.

I agree with the method you described. Unfortunately I don't have the time to invest in a new forming apparatus at the moment. I've done HIPs vac-forming many years ago though

Ahhh very satisfying. Good work tubachris85x and Aku!

Too bad I don't need/want one, but I immensely enjoyed the journey.

One thing I am noticing between both Eaton parts and the ones I've found- the Eaton version does not appear to have stamped markings along the outer rim. That's how it looks in the pictures

It's amazing that this part is been identified after all these years. You guys did a great job!

Last edited:

I agree with the method you described. Unfortunately I don't have the time to invest in a new forming apparatus at the moment. I've done HIPs vac-forming many years ago though
I totally understand. I'm not trying to create work for you, just throwing ideas out there.

Great thread , just like the good old days of the RPF, when stuff is shared for everyone's benefit :thumbsup;

I wish cast from original Snowtrooper armor was available.... to put this on.:)

Great thread , just like the good old days of the RPF, when stuff is shared for everyone's benefit :thumbsup;

I wish cast from original Snowtrooper armor was available.... to put this on.:)

Closest anyone's going to get in the near future is the Anovos armor. Throw on the RS helmet and backpack, and you'll be closer than anyone has before.

It would be great to find the model of dishwasher (and/or other appliances) that accepts this part and maybe a schematic from an old repair manual that shows where it goes.

It would be great to find the model of dishwasher (and/or other appliances) that accepts this part and maybe a schematic from an old repair manual that shows where it goes.

Given that the ones I've found and the EATON brand ones, I think this may be a semi-universal part? These have appeared, to our knowledge, in south africa, the UK, and now Turkey. It would be at least as old as the early 70s and used through the 80s, to warrant a "new" version to have been produced.

A thought on disc replicating... Maybe make a negative of the top out of hydrocal or some other hard, durable casting material, and use it to chase/repoussé an aluminum disc into...? A couple of wasters to get the hang of it, and one should be able to, taking care, knock out at least a replica an hour.

Regarding the Merr-Sonn scope thingie:
Funny you should mention this. I just picked up a pile of them last month. More info soon :)
FYI I haven’t found them actually attached to anything but I believe they ARE from vintage microphones (CB or ham).

*lol* Of course you did. I'm still (not monetarily) indebted to you for your dosimeter score of some years back. Is there any chance in hell I might be able to snag one of these upon your reveal?

I used to be a computer tech, so my first thought was an IBM PC 83 key keyboard DIN plug, but that didn't come out until 1981.

Yeah, they're not DIN plugs. Those have a void inside the shield with the metal pins. The Merr-Sonn pieces (and other similar plugs) are "gender-flopped" -- the socket has the void with the pins, the plug has the holes. Like this:

index.jpg

A thought on disc replicating... Maybe make a negative of the top out of hydrocal or some other hard, durable casting material, and use it to chase/repoussé an aluminum disc into...? A couple of wasters to get the hang of it, and one should be able to, taking care, knock out at least a replica an hour.

Fantastically dangerous ideas for me to do at home lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back