Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Mint Thermostat Found 04/06/21**

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk research

I just noticed that the communicator disk is on the Hoth Portable Scanner. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=56061

hothscanner3A.jpghothscanner3B.jpghothscanner14A.jpg

I know you already mentioned battery holders, but instead of watch batteries, what about these type?

s-l1000.jpg

Look at the top right of the picture, inside of the holder. It seems generally familiar, and maybe some hunting would show more similar examples.

Necro bump....maybe anybody made new discoveries?

Ok so I have recently started looking into this and appear to have gone down a different avenue to you guys....

Firstly I was trying to discover the source of the Hoth Commpad part...I realised they would probably have had a lot of them as they were used a fair bit.

Looked at old vintage vending machines after seeing the Lando communicator with it on and wondered if that's what it looked like originally... made me thing it was a pull plunger or something as the brand/selection image would be angled likle that...

vending.JPG

Got me wondering if the part had a grille and was to contain a bulb, as modern projector bulbs have that grille too. I would think this would be a light enclosure under the brand selection which lit up when the rod was pulled... I've seen pictures of an old Malborough vendo with some of the brand pictures missing and there is a space underneath for light to come through. One of the nobs was missing from the end of the rods and it also looked like the end of Lando's communicator

2934497430_2a8d9e65b6_b.jpg

The whole mechanism and angle of the thing looks like it could be this inside :

lando_comlink.jpg

When looking for this part i saw an old CocaCola vending machine with this retrieval hole :

pqwHJ67HpWgs04GmhQ1Weg.jpg

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but I have been looking into it. I have found some 1950's model cocacola machines but doesnt appear to be anything massively available like a Revell kit (which sounds odd i know)...

Also on my list is sourcing the chassis for the Hoth Scanner, which initially I thought might be a wax paper/sanitary towel/paper towel dispenser as I have found some with the '+' shape opening at the bottom, but nothing's come up yet. Again whilst looking for this I saw some gumball machines with chassis' that looked similar but nothing came up.

So then I got on to gumball spare parts and noticed that all gumball machines had this 3-ring selector engine/housing.. not realy sure what it is. Stands to reason that this would need to be enclosed from one side say with a circular cap with 3 rounded bumps???

$_57.JPG

I just get this feeling all these things are connected...

Nick

Ok so I have recently started looking into this and appear to have gone down a different avenue to you guys....

Firstly I was trying to discover the source of the Hoth Commpad part...I realised they would probably have had a lot of them as they were used a fair bit.

Looked at old vintage vending machines after seeing the Lando communicator with it on and wondered if that's what it looked like originally... made me thing it was a pull plunger or something as the brand/selection image would be angled likle that...

I just get this feeling all these things are connected...

Nick

That wasn't a bad lead to be honest, but the only thing, in terms of the gumball parts is that the gumballs would need to be pretty small. I think we're down the right path concerning it being related but so many possible pieces this thing could be from :/

That wasn't a bad lead to be honest, but the only thing, in terms of the gumball parts is that the gumballs would need to be pretty small. I think we're down the right path concerning it being related but so many possible pieces this thing could be from :/
Well I don't know about the US but gumballs in the UK werent that big! The Hoth scanner is quite big, we could do with some rough proportion guidelines here!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Well I don't know about the US but gumballs in the UK were that big! The Hoth scanner is quite big, we could do with some rough proportion guidelines here!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Bleh, I was never into hard candy to begin with

As for the disc itself, I'd say you're looking at a total diameter of about 2.5" inches across, give or take, just based on my experience.

I have a fidget spinner in front of me. Its about 2.5" wide...

Fidget-Spinner-Tri-Spinning-Stress-Reducer-02.jpg

each disc on the outside measures 7/8". Even at this far apart wasting all that space in the middle it means the "gumball" would be pretty big! Dunno how big gumballs are in the US, bit we called them "gobstoppers" here and they were about that big!

I looked and looked for a year. I just ended up drawing it in CAD IMG_0565 (1).jpgIMG_0650.jpg

I posted on the your scanner build page. I recall reading years ago, the discs were part of a pack of 3 small flat batteries. I think it would be pretty easy to make a small press and make these out of thin aluminum, which is what they appear to made from...

Last edited:

I posted on the your scanner build page. I recall reading years ago, the discs were part of a pack of 3 small flat batteries. I think it would be pretty easy to make a small press and make these out of thin aluminum, which is what they appear to made from...

Eh that hasn't been discovered. It'd have to be some really obscure brand that did that as all of the battery packs I saw of that time frame is packed no differently than what we see today

- - - Updated - - -

I looked and looked for a year. I just ended up drawing it in CAD View attachment 787291View attachment 787292

Getting a replica is no problem. I just want to find the real thing

I would love to find the real thing, been searching, but in the meantime I really want this prop :)

We also have to ourselves in the 1975 frame of mind. It does look like the size of a AA battery but as a child of the 70's they were rarely used. Everything was C or D. Maybe watch batteries but they tend to be thinner ( now not sure about 40 years ago). But something tells me that it is a battery cap of some kind.

I know I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but could this be an accessory for something like a kids easy bake oven?
Like a tiny idli tray? Just a thought.

The modern snap disc thermostat looks really close. Maybe a vintage aircraft thermostat cover? Similar to a Klixon C4370 thermostat which has the three circles.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back